Sponsored Links Spacer Image

He'll flip ya!

Posted On:
    1/13/2006 7:16pm

supporting member
     Style: Not.....working

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Aikido is what it's founder wanted it to be.A softer system created to defend against an attacker by not outright killing him or maiming if the defender so wishes.Aikido has always had defensive thoughts in its philosophies.You would have to begin with what 'new'* philosophies can Aikido evolve into?

Kick-boxing is offensive
    Muay-Thai is offensive

Judo can be both Defensive and offensive.So can BJJ.

Karate can both be defensive and offensive.

My point is if you have BJJ experience by tring to 'fix' aikido yu'll make it look more like BJJ.If you have Kung-fu experience yu'll turn Aikido into a Kung-fu system.You see what i mean.

*New philosophies means modern as in today worlds and the dangers posed.

Posted On:
    1/13/2006 7:16pm

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lights Out
    Again, we get to the same point: training regime.

If after the UFC, Pride and many MMA/NHB, etc. competitions these people do not get it, they probably never will, or aren´t really interested in fighting.

And yes, this sounds like if I´m questioning the viability of one of this site´s purpose.
    We're here more for those sitting on the fence than those deep on the other side wallowing in the pig ****.

It's not poetry, but it's accurate.

Everybody was Kung Fu fighting

Posted On:
    1/13/2006 7:19pm

supporting member
     Style: Tai Chi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Phrost
    Nothing wrong with that, as long as you're not trying to pass your Chevelle off as a Ferrari Enzo.
    You've got to respect a man who beats the Ferrari in his hand-restored Chevelle.
    !!RENT SPACE HERE FOR 10 VBUCKS PER LINE PER MONTH!!

!! PM ME FOR SPEEDY SERVICE !!

Sponsored by our first customer: Repulsive Monkey

I <3 Sirc.

Posted On:
    1/13/2006 7:24pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Canuckyokushin
    Aikido is what it's founder wanted it to be.A softer system created to defend against an attacker by not outright killing him or maiming if the defender so wishes.Aikido has always had defensive thoughts in its philosophies.You would have to begin with what 'new'* philosophies can Aikido evolve into?
    More like Aikido was created as the pussified form of Jujitsu because Uesheba started regretting all the violence he'd caused and wanted to leave a legacy involving something more "positive".

The philosophy, the garb, the dogma, and all the rest of that crap are like condiments on your hamburger (to abuse another analogy). You can pile on the lettuce, tomatoes, pickles, onions, etc in mass quantities, but it's not a hamburger if you leave out the fucking meat.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/13/2006 7:26pm

Style: Arnis, judo, Taichi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

I like the idea but....

Quote Originally Posted by AAAhmed46
    Personally, i was lucky for finding a karate school with a teacher who is progressive. But 90% of uechi-ryu sucks so much ass; it's funny.

But my teacher wants his students to spread out and teach and open thier own schools that have a progressive outlook on karate(ie cross training, no stupid bowing, clinching, grappling, kata modification, open interpretation of kata) trying to fix the damage done by bullshido-ists.

Aikido, i look at it, and i think it has so much potential, but i have not seen ONE school that actually does anything worthwhile during training.

Is it worth learning something good like BJJ or MMA and then learning Aikido with the soul purpose of trying to fix it?

Would it work? Would people come to such a school?

Anyone ever tried something like this?

Is it worth the effort?
    I like the idea of taking an old system revitalizing it with new techs and getting rid of the crap. The problem lies in if you polish a turd you just get a shiny turd. It all comes down to two things; 1.)does it make sense? A good example of this is Taichi; some taichi uses the wave hands forms a a catalog for fighting moves I am not sure why but they do. Other Taichi systems use these forms for conditioning and training the posture, then use basic techs to fight with. 2.) Can you fight? This is more important then the first. If a person is authletic, determined and willing to put the time into training hard with realism. Then you could use almost anything.

The joke I use with my friends is Prancing Pony Arnis(my own Bullshido system). Take arnis stepping add some flowery Ba Gua hand work and you get somthing that is ugly but effective for stand up. Could you use it against BJ Penn? No that is why they make rifles.

I am a Ninja bitches!! Deal with it

Posted On:
    1/13/2006 7:27pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Improv comedy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As Asia stated in in the "Steven Seagal" thread Ueshiba's original intent was that Aikido be taught to people who were already skilled in Judo (early 20th century judo, which is a lot closer to Jiu-Jitsu) So the idea was that they had first mastered an aggressive, resistence oriented art and that Aikido was complemantary to that.

The big problem was when he saw his martial art as more than that, as a path to enlightenment and changed it's focus into mystical BS.

At it's heart though there's some good technique and princapals.

However, (this hurts me to do) I would have to agree with Phrost, somewhat, and say if you haven't trained in Aikido don't bother.

It's today's Aikidoka's responsability to take a critical look at it and try to fix it. There are some who do but unfortunatly it seems that the majority don't want to.

It's a shame, but you would be better off sticking to BJJ and MMA from the start.

Posted On:
    1/13/2006 7:27pm

Join us... or die
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The philosophy, the garb, the dogma, and all the rest of that crap are like condiments on your hamburger (to abuse another analogy). You can pile on the lettuce, tomatoes, pickles, onions, etc in mass quantities, but it's not a hamburger if you leave out the fucking meat.
    Yeah, that wound´t be a hamburger at all, that would be more like a vegetable sandwich for tree-hugging new-age hippies... oh, wait...

Posted On:
    1/13/2006 7:31pm

Style: karate,MMA(between gyms)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Actually, ive read the Uechiba was badass.

As you know, he could effortlessly kick major ass.

But many aikido guys seem to forget : HE TRAINED FOR *pause* LOTS OF FREAKING YEARS AND HE CROSS TRAINED AND CROSS TRIANED AND CROSS TRAINED.

.........And despite this fact, people seem to try to be able to do what he was able to do at the end of his life thinking that aikido can give it to them.

Well if you want to throw somone around efforlessly; cross train and fight and fight and fight and cross train and fight like uechiba did.

i apologize to aikido guys here but....most poeple who take aikido piss me off.

It's a great style, but why is it taught in such retarded manners, why do aikido teachers make students believe they can toss trained fighters around like nothing?

And karate fighters, many of them atlest believe they can stop anyone with a side kick(quote from someone on another forum)

Have you ever heard some die hard karate guys comment on MMA? some **** about how it looks like they brawl and how they always use brute force.

Do these guys even know that real fights look messy?
    Last edited by AAAhmed46; 1/13/2006 7:34pm at .

He'll flip ya!

Posted On:
    1/13/2006 7:36pm

supporting member
     Style: Not.....working

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    More like Aikido was created as the pussified form of Jujitsu because Uesheba started regretting all the violence he'd caused and wanted to leave a legacy involving something more "positive".

Maybe you shouldn't post onan empty stomach.

If say someone with 15 years of BJJ experience looks at Aikido and wanted to change it.He would have top start fresh as a new student.Meaning take everything he is learning in Aikido and decide as he's progressing what is lacking what can be useful.Since it takes 8 to 10 years to be awarded a BB in Aikido.I would say it will be that long before the ex-BJJ student can fine tune Aikido and make it modern.

But the only problem is I don't see anyone who is doing BJJ at present who will want to stop it to take up Aikido.No one in MMA will want to stop and change Shotokan.No one in wrestling to change Tai-Chi.

Posted On:
    1/13/2006 8:33pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Canuckyokushin
    Maybe you shouldn't post onan empty stomach.

If say someone with 15 years of BJJ experience looks at Aikido and wanted to change it.He would have top start fresh as a new student.Meaning take everything he is learning in Aikido and decide as he's progressing what is lacking what can be useful.Since it takes 8 to 10 years to be awarded a BB in Aikido.I would say it will be that long before the ex-BJJ student can fine tune Aikido and make it modern.

But the only problem is I don't see anyone who is doing BJJ at present who will want to stop it to take up Aikido.No one in MMA will want to stop and change Shotokan.No one in wrestling to change Tai-Chi.
    Yet another analogy.

Aikido's techniques and fundamentals fucking suck; much like a Ford Pinto.

You can take a monster engine (BJJ) and put it inside the Pinto (Aikido), but all you have is a gimmick car that's powered by something non-shitty.

Just like Aikido would be if you blended it with BJJ: a gimmick.

It just doesn't make sense to waste your time trying to make something "modern" when there are modern, effective arts that don't suck to begin with, and most people only have an average number of hours per week/years out of their lives they can spend on training.

Don't waste your time on crap.
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast