Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    1/14/2006 2:11pm

Style: wagamichi shorei kempo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by I Choke You
    In fact, it is. Nippon.

It is an abriviation of Nippon yes, but we do not call Japanes Nipponese.
    Last edited by wagamichi; 1/14/2006 2:21pm at .

Injury Waiting To Happen

Posted On:
    1/14/2006 2:16pm

supporting member
     Style: Snatch Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No, but we do, in some contexts, still refer to Japan as Nippon, Nippon Steel for example.

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    1/14/2006 2:20pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by wagamichi
    To me, Jap is the same as brit, aussi, and yank. It is not the same as chink, charlie, niggar, spick, or whatever other racial slurr thier may be. Jap is an abriviation of japanese. Nip is not. nither is chink. No I would not call a japanese person a "Jap" On a police run because I don't know how that conversation would go.
    I already posted reasons why this term is offensive to Japanese Americans (Internment, etc.). Nip is an abbrevation of Nippon. It is equally offensive, though not as often used. You would not use it on a police run, a public event, because you do not know how it would go. This is a public venue. If people take offense, then that is for them to decide.

Yes i would reffer to my buddy Ai Nakajima as a jap in say the following.

"Hey is that friend you were with last night chinese?"

"No he's one of my Jap buddies."

No Ai has no problem with that usage. He has used it himself. He getts angry when people call him a korean.
    Your buddy is a different factor. I have black friends who could care less if I called them n**** jokingly and gay friends who I could refer to as fags. Those are my friends, in my personal life, and just because I can say something to them does not mean I can get away with saying it to any black person or any gay person. You logic does not hold out.

Posted On:
    1/14/2006 2:22pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Brit is an abriviation of british. I have a lot of Brits as pals as well. They use brit when refering to themselves. I just don't see the issue other than calling to light how racist we white people are. Niggar is a racist term because of the way it was used durring the slave days. It is infact a latin term to be correct. i don't recall enslaving the japanese people. Internment camps yes. was it right? no. But the U.S. was at war with a culture we did not understand unlike German of wich our contry has a long history with. I mean no offense when using the term Jap.

Converter of Virgins

Posted On:
    1/14/2006 2:23pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: H'ung Ga & SPM

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DerAuslander108
    And n**** is just a bastardization of the Spanish word for black. Etymology does not change the fact that it's offensive.
    And "niggardly" means "cheap" ... better to say cheap I think.

Look, one guy used the word Jap and another has raised the issue of it being offensive.
    Why the **** be such prick (Oops) about just not using it? It's not necessarily a PC thing ... it's just being reasonable and coming from me you must know it was painful just typing this.

By way of example, I have no problems in calling some of the peeps I work to help "junkies" to their face but I really think it shows some modicum of respect for the Human Condition for those not directly dealing with them to term them heroin addicts.

It's not the "end of the World" but wtf ... no harm in being decent about things ... **** ... I cannot believe I just typed that.

You don't know DerAuslander ... I do. He is sincere in his beliefs and efforts on the part of those of Asian decent. The guy "walks the walk" ... how about just typing the "anese" part of it and letting it go?

Posted On:
    1/14/2006 2:24pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    But more importantly, 2 dweebs are "inventing kung-fu"

Posted On:
    1/14/2006 2:27pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JFS USA

You don't know DerAuslander ... I do. He is sincere in his beliefs and efforts on the part of those of Asian decent. The guy "walks the walk" ... how about just typing the "anese" part of it and letting it go?

Fine...I bow to your wisdom and rediculously nice and none flaming post. I miss the other JFS. :new_vampv

Posted On:
    1/14/2006 2:27pm

supporting memberstaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I mean no offense when using the term Jap.
    I know you don't. That's why I'm not here throwing a tantrum, "whining", calling you racist, or demanding an apology, retraction, banning, or any sort of disciplinary action.

All I'm doing is saying that regardless of whether or not you realize it or feel it, there are those who will take offense at use of that term, and whether or not you agree with it, they have very valid reasons to do so. I'm asking you to respect that, and possibly not use that term in a public forum, so as to avoid any possible ****-storm fallouts should someone less reasonable than me read it.

Posted On:
    1/14/2006 2:29pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DerAuslander108
    I know you don't. That's why I'm not here throwing a tantrum, "whining", calling you racist, or demanding an apology, retraction, banning, or any sort of disciplinary action.

All I'm doing is saying that regardless of whether or not you realize it or feel it, there are those who will take offense at use of that term, and whether or not you agree with it, they have very valid reasons to do so. I'm asking you to respect that, and possibly not use that term in a public forum, so as to avoid any possible ****-storm fallouts should someone less reasonable than me read it.

Very well my Korean brother in the arts of war! I shall not offend you again with that word.

There are still 2 little morons inventing Kung-fu.

Posted On:
    1/14/2006 2:31pm

supporting memberstaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    But more importantly, 2 dweebs are "inventing kung-fu"
    Something we can both agree with is....stooopid.
Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 12345 6789 ... LastLast