Page 4 of 14 First 12345678 ... Last

Thread: rolling fist

  1. #31
    wagamichi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    1,405
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by I Choke You
    Hey! Watch you mouth call D&D lame!


    Sorry grand elf wizard. Please do not call a reckoning down on me. I am but a humble dwarf whitesmith! :eatbaby:

  2. #32
    DerAuslander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Baltimore, MD
    Posts
    18,449
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I want it on record that I made one small statement, a request. I accused no one, I attacked no one. I did not want this to turn into a big deal. However, as one who works in the North Korean human rights field and has supported the Asian American civil rights movement, I have to say what I have to say.

    Quote Originally Posted by wagamichi
    Why is that offensive?
    Because it carries with it the sense of racial inequalities that Japanese Americans and Asian Americans as a whole have suffered at the hands of the establishment. Along with terms such as ****, Chink, Nip, and Dink, the term Jap is offensive to many Asian Americans.

    Do you have to know why many Jews don't like being called kike? No, just don't call them that.

    There is currently another thread where the African martial arts are being discussed. If I went in there and asked questions about "the n***** martial arts", even if I wasn't intending offense, how quickly do you think I would get a warning or even a banning?

    Quote Originally Posted by wagamichi
    Fine, I did not see jap used in a derogatory way. Its the same as brit, aussi, or yank. Big deal. If there is any negitive conentation with the word could it be because the US marines used it Durring WWII after being attacked by the japanese? You cant start a war and think there wont be some lasting stigma. The marines called English fellows britts, they don't complain so STFU.
    Ignorance, and I will not shut the **** up. "You can't start a war and not think there would be lasting stigma". What the ****? OK, maybe by your twisted logic the Japanese soldiers deserved to be racially stigmatized, but what about the millions of Americans!!! of Japanese ancenstry who were carted off to concentration camps without a single shread of evidence that they were collaborating with the Japanese? Newspapers of the time labelled them Japs as well. So please, tell Japanese Americans to shut the **** up when they say they don't like being called Japs.

    You're a police officer, Wagamichi. Would you call an Asian American you were dealing with Japn to their face? Would you write up an incident report using the term "Jap" to describe them? Or a black man and call him "ni****"? It's the same thing."

    I could be wrong though. Maybe "American"ness can be judged by external features. Maybe you're not really American if your eyes have an epicanthal fold.


    Quote Originally Posted by I Choke You
    Please refrain from saying some may find Jap offensive, some find it offensive.

    JAP!!!
    Thank you. I wasn't aware this was the position of the administration.

    Quote Originally Posted by JAPuma
    JAPuma in the hizzle... I never understood the offence some people take to Jap. It's only an abriviation for Japanese. Unless it's used like "you are such a jap" then it mean Jewish American Princess.
    See above.
    Last edited by Jiggle Butt; 1/14/2006 1:49pm at .

  3. #33
    Roidie McDouchebag's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Kamloops, BC
    Posts
    9,417
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thank you. I wasn't aware this was the position of the administration.
    It isn't, the position of the administration is that racist speech is bannable. That being the case, I was bugging you for being oversensitive about something that would be dealt with if it were serious, without your whining.

    When I say "Jap", I refer to objects made in Japan, or ideas originating in Japan, I don't know any Japanese people in my daily life, so I don't use it to refer to people, instead of saying "Japanese" because "Jap" is a shorter word, and easier to say. Context and intent are everything, if you attach meaning to a word I've said, a meaning that I did not attach to it myself, I find that extremely offensive, no joke.

    So, my advice to you is, relax.

  4. #34
    wagamichi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    1,405
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DerAuslander108
    I want it on record that I made one small statement, a request. I accused no one, I attacked no one. I did not want this to turn into a big deal. However, as one who works in the North Korean human rights field and has supported the Asian American civil rights movement, I have to say what I have to say.



    Because it carries with it the sense of racial inequalities that Japanese Americans and Asian Americans as a whole have suffered at the hands of the establishment. Along with terms such as ****, Chink, Nip, and Dink, the term Jap is offensive to many Asian Americans.

    Do you have to know why many Jews don't like being called kike? No, just don't call them that.

    There is currently another thread where the African martial arts are being discussed. If I went in there and asked questions about "the n***** martial arts", even if I wasn't intending offense, how quickly do you think I would get a warning or even a banning?



    Ignorance, and I will not shut the **** up. "You can't start a war and not think there would be lasting stigma". What the ****? OK, maybe by your twisted logic the Japanese soldiers deserved to be racially stigmatized, but what about the millions of Americans!!! of Japanese ancenstry who were carted off to concentration camps without a single shread of evidence that they were collaborating with the Japanese? Newspapers of the time labelled them Japs as well. So please, tell Japanese Americans to shut the **** up when they say they don't like being called Japs.

    You're a police officer, Wagamichi. Would you call an Asian American you were dealing with Japn to their face? Would you write up an incident report using the term "Jap" to describe them? Or a black man and call him "ni****"? It's the same thing."

    I could be wrong though. Maybe "American"ness can be judged by external features. Maybe you're not really American if your eyes have an epicanthal fold.




    Thank you. I wasn't aware this was the position of the administration.



    See above.
    To me, Jap is the same as brit, aussi, and yank. It is not the same as chink, charlie, niggar, spick, or whatever other racial slurr thier may be. Jap is an abriviation of japanese. Nip is not. nither is chink. No I would not call a japanese person a "Jap" On a police run because I don't know how that conversation would go. Yes i would reffer to my buddy Ai Nakajima as a jap in say the following.

    "Hey is that friend you were with last night chinese?"

    "No he's one of my Jap buddies."

    No Ai has no problem with that usage. He has used it himself. He getts angry when people call him a korean.

    How about we quit giving a **** about PC here. Nothing about Bullshido is PC anyway. Call me a bald white Cracker honky mother fucker. I don't care. "Lighten up francise"

    This thread is about two dweebs inventing Kung-fu. That is more non-PC than the word JAP!
    Last edited by wagamichi; 1/14/2006 2:04pm at .

  5. #35
    meng_mao's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Westford, MA
    Posts
    2,007
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by wagamichi
    Fine, I did not see jap used in a derogatory way. Its the same as brit, aussi, or yank. Big deal. If there is any negitive conentation with the word could it be because the US marines used it Durring WWII after being attacked by the japanese? You cant start a war and think there wont be some lasting stigma. The marines called English fellows britts, they don't complain so STFU.
    Soldiers called the Japanese Nips, didn't they?

    Quote Originally Posted by I Choke You
    if you attach meaning to a word I've said, a meaning that I did not attach to it myself, I find that extremely offensive, no joke.
    Wait, isn't this undermining the purpose of language? If I raise my kids to call Jews "kikes," they are going to be offensive to Jews, even though they have no idea.

  6. #36
    Roidie McDouchebag's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Kamloops, BC
    Posts
    9,417
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Jap is an abriviation of japanese. Nip is not.
    In fact, it is. Nippon.

  7. #37
    Roidie McDouchebag's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Kamloops, BC
    Posts
    9,417
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wait, isn't this undermining the purpose of language? If I raise my kids to call Jews "kikes," they are going to be offensive to Jews, even though they have no idea.
    Your kids would be innocent while you'd be an idiot. "Kike" cannot mean anything other than "Jewish ethnic slur", Jap is Japanese without the "anese".

  8. #38
    DerAuslander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Baltimore, MD
    Posts
    18,449
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by I Choke You
    It isn't, the position of the administration is that racist speech is bannable. That being the case, I was bugging you for being oversensitive about something that would be dealt with if it were serious, without your whining.

    When I say "Jap", I refer to objects made in Japan, or ideas originating in Japan, I don't know any Japanese people in my daily life, so I don't use it to refer to people, instead of saying "Japanese" because "Jap" is a shorter word, and easier to say. Context and intent are everything, if you attach meaning to a word I've said, a meaning that I did not attach to it myself, I find that extremely offensive, no joke.

    So, my advice to you is, relax.
    I would love to relax and let things slide. I didn't make a big deal about this when it was first posted, just made a simple request.

    Your intent not withstanding, the term is in and of itself is offensive. This makes your intent a non-issue. Even if I mean nothing by it, going around referring to things from African as "nig" items would likely be offensive as well. Whether or not your intent is racist, the term is racially offensive. I don't see how I'm whining or being overly sensitive. I listed reasons why in my previous post.

    You don't know any Japanese people in your daily life, and that's fine. What you do in your own private life is your discretion, and I won't begrudge you that. This, however, is a public forum, a martial arts forum, where people from all over the world can read what your saying. Your private life is non-issue. What is said here is, especially given the fact that it is a public written medium.

  9. #39

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Baltimore, Maryland Area
    Posts
    3,837
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by drummerboy
    They have "icemetric" sets in their american kempo section:))

    Tomas
    "Cool"

  10. #40
    DerAuslander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Baltimore, MD
    Posts
    18,449
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by I Choke You
    Your kids would be innocent while you'd be an idiot. "Kike" cannot mean anything other than "Jewish ethnic slur", Jap is Japanese without the "anese".
    And n**** is just a bastardization of the Spanish word for black. Etymology does not change the fact that it's offensive.

Page 4 of 14 First 12345678 ... Last

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO