228079 Bullies, 4542 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 5 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

It's pretty beat up, but it is a complete copy....

Posted On:
    1/15/2006 5:32pm

supporting member
     Style: EBMAS WT/ Latosa Concepts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No, he is actually really good. I have never meet him but have watched many of his training videos from Budo Int. He freesparrs and does his stuff very well.

"If anything is gained from this, it should be you both wanting to get better so you can make up for how crappy you are now." KidSpatula about the Sirc vs DTT Gong Sau Event
    Until the Bulltube is fixed:
    DTT vs Sirc

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/15/2006 6:23pm

Style: Arnis, WC, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by mattr
    I reckon THIS must be the closest we're going to get to practical WC in the UK. Sadly, as I do not live anywhere near London, I cannot join the school. Additionally, I don't think I'd even want to return to WC anymore. I enjoy my current training too much to get back into it.

As for lineage, the WC obsession, I have trained in styles that hail from Lee Shing, Leung Ting, Wong Shun Leung and Ip Chun. For me, the best WC training I had was from the WSL lineage... but that may have been entirely down to the Sifu. Does anyone here have a view on WC lineage, or can you point me to a thread where this has been discussed previously?
    Theres another thread that examines the videos from White Lotus Wing Chun.

My view is that most of them are either: a) timed training drills where people are doing patterns with each other to a fixed beat, b) free sparring where all you see is 'chain punching' and stamp kicks, c) promotional crap.

The only useful one of the lot for developing fighting skills is b), but its a real shame to see how badly developed this actually is.... WC is more than chain punches and stamp kicks.

As for lineage wars -- this is the bane of WC. Its bad for the art and really is an indication of how bogus the whole thing is. Its trying to justify its existence by who-taught-who, and not how good the practitioner is. WC people love to bitch and moan about how good there style is compared to other WC styles... with no real proof, and plenty of made-up anecdotes. But I spose this is true of MAs generally

Posted On:
    1/15/2006 7:05pm

Style: TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I fought a wing chun guy and he was pretty good.

If more wing chung people would do real sparring (not the fake sparring in the video) they would become very good fighters.

Posted On:
    1/15/2006 7:10pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In the TKD I did, we did lots of sparring, but not full contact. Once and a while we would do harder contact, but still with control. But it's still "sparring" becuase there weren't any uke's that are supposed to lose on purpose.

I'm not sure what kind of TKD I did. I don't think it was traditional becuase it used japanese names for a lot of things like "kata" instead of "poomse" and "gi" instead of "dobok".

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    1/15/2006 7:12pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Kikko, no more TKD on this thread.

SHHHH!!!!

Don't piss off the Wingy Chingy...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/15/2006 7:15pm

Style: FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by I aint punchy!?
    As for lineage wars -- this is the bane of WC. Its bad for the art and really is an indication of how bogus the whole thing is. Its trying to justify its existence by who-taught-who, and not how good the practitioner is. WC people love to bitch and moan about how good there style is compared to other WC styles... with no real proof, and plenty of made-up anecdotes. But I spose this is true of MAs generally
    Yeah I agree and the meaner the bitching, the crappier the place.

The sad thing is a lineage may do something which sucks IMO like: never spar, lean back, stand on one leg, a flat bong sao, hold the lead arm out too far, be a clumsy mis-representation or a McDojo. And because its so insular and dismissive never get any cross pollenation of ideas from other WC lineages to re-examine their approach to a more practical solution.
    Last edited by Lefty; 1/15/2006 7:18pm at .

Posted On:
    1/15/2006 7:17pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    TKD!~!!!11

:new_birth

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/15/2006 7:23pm

Style: FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah sparring is the solution to kick the BS out of WC. These days I'd be happy to rep a form quickly as a warm up and spend the rest of the session doing intensive full-contact sparring rounds. Personally I really enjoy the full-contact sparring format because of the safe power delivery.

When going from full-contact sparring to light-contact competitive advanced chi sao I am always reminded of how much control is an element of the traditional way. The slappiness can result from the need to pull the strike, and not hurt your training partner with a solid punch or a lot of core power.

So its not that WC can't be delivered with a lot more power, its just the friendly light-contact chi sao format discourages this. (As a noob I chipped my teeth badly doing friendly/competitive light chi sao). My view is full contact power needs to be developed safely in a separate full contact sparring format.
    Last edited by Lefty; 1/15/2006 8:31pm at .

It's pretty beat up, but it is a complete copy....

Posted On:
    1/15/2006 8:41pm

supporting member
     Style: EBMAS WT/ Latosa Concepts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DerAuslander108
    Kikko, no more TKD on this thread.

SHHHH!!!!

Don't piss off the Wingy Chingy...

HeHeHehe.......... :kiss:

:chewy:

and I am against _ing __un Lineage wars. I do think it works to label the different versions of style, for communication, and then you must realize some members of a style will suck and some will be good. I think all of us Chunners should work together and sort this mess out.....

"If anything is gained from this, it should be you both wanting to get better so you can make up for how crappy you are now." KidSpatula about the Sirc vs DTT Gong Sau Event
    Until the Bulltube is fixed:
    DTT vs Sirc

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/16/2006 9:22am

Style: nothing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by I aint punchy!?
    WC is more than chain punches and stamp kicks.
    That kind of got me thinking about our sparring sessions. I don't know that I've ever seen anyone break out chain punches at my school. I've been sparring for about six months at about two days a week and I don't think I've seen them used once.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 5 LastLast