Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    1/15/2006 1:53pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Depends on which TKD you're talking about. Talking about TKD is like talking about kung fu. It's an art with a broad spectrum. Wing Chun guys don't fight like Hung Gar guys. WTF guys don't fight like Hee Il Cho's guys.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/15/2006 1:57pm

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You are right and im sorry for making such a broad statement. Im just speaking from experience here, the kicks i have felt were from WTF TKD guys and werent exactly powerful.

Posted On:
    1/15/2006 2:08pm

Style: wagamichi shorei kempo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DerAuslander108
    Depends on which TKD you're talking about. Talking about TKD is like talking about kung fu. It's an art with a broad spectrum. Wing Chun guys don't fight like Hung Gar guys. WTF guys don't fight like Hee Il Cho's guys.

Some day we should meet...I bash TKD because reigonaly, here in indiana, the TKD is really, really, bad. I know i keep brining Up Nishime, But i learned a lot from him. One time he said, the TKD in America was not Like The TKD in rural Korea. He had been there at one point and said that the City TKD in Korea was like American TKD but that in the villiages he said the men moved like the Okinawans and were really good. especialy in the footwork and moving area. he said they punched hard too. They must have, because back then I hit hard, but not according to Nishime.

Posted On:
    1/15/2006 2:27pm

supporting memberstaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Come to the MD MegaThrowdown this summer. My TKD teacher was old school, acknowledged the Japanese/Okinawan connection, and loved to cross train.

Posted On:
    1/15/2006 2:29pm

supporting memberstaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Foreman
    You are right and im sorry for making such a broad statement. Im just speaking from experience here, the kicks i have felt were from WTF TKD guys and werent exactly powerful.
    No, they're made for speed in tag contact sparring. A hook kick to the head could probably hurt, but that's abouit it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/15/2006 4:11pm

Style: Self-Protection

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, on closer inspection of the vid, yes I now see that it's all playfighting made to look more brutal. I spent five years hopping through Wing Chun styles, hoping to find one that taught the art in a more practical way.

Funny how every school i visited harped on about lineage and teaching the pure system. Politics is always mentioned when you visit a UK Wing Chun school. "We are not part of any system politics"... which is of course bullshit.

There are so many 'breakaway' Wing Chun schools in the UK, all seemingly obsessed by lineage that doesn't really matter, as they sought to break away from the 'family' anyway.

I like Wing Chun, but I have never kidded myself that it is the ultimate system or complete in any way shape of form. My last WC Sifu was pissed with me over the fact I was actively partaking in other martial arts classes. In this day and age, such traditional, secretive and elitist bullshit really has no place in the martial arts.

I reckon THIS must be the closest we're going to get to practical WC in the UK. Sadly, as I do not live anywhere near London, I cannot join the school. Additionally, I don't think I'd even want to return to WC anymore. I enjoy my current training too much to get back into it.

As for lineage, the WC obsession, I have trained in styles that hail from Lee Shing, Leung Ting, Wong Shun Leung and Ip Chun. For me, the best WC training I had was from the WSL lineage... but that may have been entirely down to the Sifu. Does anyone here have a view on WC lineage, or can you point me to a thread where this has been discussed previously?

Posted On:
    1/15/2006 4:28pm

supporting memberstaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by mattr
    I reckon THIS must be the closest we're going to get to practical WC in the UK.
    These guys have to be the real thing. They have the real windmilling.

It's pretty beat up, but it is a complete copy....

Posted On:
    1/15/2006 5:26pm

supporting member
     Style: EBMAS WT/ Latosa Concepts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    elnyka, use the search function to find out about Emin Boztepe. Alot has been said on here about him.

Mattr, check the history section for Origin of Wing Chun. Very long thread on it.

Victor Sifu is really good. I would like to see any of you **** talkers produce even a "fake" demo tape this good. The part called Lat Sau is the sparring portion.

Take that TKD talk somewhere else......:-)
    Last edited by Dr._Tzun_Tzu; 1/15/2006 5:30pm at .

"If anything is gained from this, it should be you both wanting to get better so you can make up for how crappy you are now." KidSpatula about the Sirc vs DTT Gong Sau Event
    Until the Bulltube is fixed:
    DTT vs Sirc

Posted On:
    1/15/2006 5:30pm

Style: wagamichi shorei kempo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    [QUOTE=Dr._Tzun_Tzu]
    Victor Sifu is really good. I would like to see any of you **** talkers produce even a "fake" demo tape QUOTE]

geroge cloony looked like a good ER doctor on..ER. does not mean i want him working on my gunshot wound.

Posted On:
    1/15/2006 5:32pm

supporting memberstaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr._Tzun_Tzu
    Take that TKD talk somewhere else......:-)
    :icon_rr: word
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 123 45 LastLast