Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    1/14/2006 6:57am

Join us... or die
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    On the Zenkutsu-dachi:

I´ve got nothing againts this stance per se. It´s just that we practiced too deep for my tastes when I was in Karate (Shito-ryu) years ago.

Maybe a little deeper than Canuckyokushin in the pic there, which, BTW, is too deep for me.

I´ve read in a karate book that the proper width between legs would be like this: if you dropped your rear leg towards the front one, your rear knee had to fall just after your front foot, touching it. That makes a high, stable and confortable stance for me, not that deep stance that strained my anckles.

Posted On:
    1/14/2006 8:42am

Style: MMA, JKD philosophy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, in Budo Taijutsu, "stance" is a dirty word. You're told that anytime you see anyone standing in a Kamae, or stance, that it's wrong. The whole point is to move, and the "stance" is actually the midway point of the movement. Just my two cents.

But, forget all that. I've heard the comparison that Chi Kung and calesthenics are both useless in a fight before, but I was thinking... Watch MMA, when one guy is down and the other is standing, the way the guy who is down covers and stands up is pretty close to a squat. Sorta looks like Horse stance for a second, too. When they sprawl to defend against a shoot or takedown, it's like the downward movement of a pushup. There are grappling sweeps that look like a neck bridge. Also, when the guy is on top GNPing, and you SITUP to grab him and pull him close, it's a crunch.

Hey! I just found the hidden moves in the MMA calesthenics form! Wait, no need to get all flamey, I'll just go punch myself in the face.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/14/2006 1:40pm

Style: Ex-TMA/KB Noob/Judo Noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chance
    I found a use for Zenkutsu-Dachi, I use it as a starting point for showing people how to do learn a Butterfly kick in a very short time. It always makes me laugh that I'm using a traditional Karate stance (that people think works in fighting) to teach a Wushu move (that people think wotks in fighting) that I make clear is just an acrobatic trick. It's also helps me feel that all those years of Karate weren't a complete waste of my time.
    In all the time I spent doing karate I've never met one person who thought that the front stance would work when fighting. Not even the teachers. I've never seen anyone fight from a front stance either.

Canuckyokushin, were you ever told that fighting from a front stance would be a good idea? Anyone else ever been told that?

Posted On:
    1/14/2006 3:30pm

Style: slappy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Okay...
    Stances, and some of these pictures are ridiculous, are not meant to be interpreted as a position a person "holds" beyond training the very foundational basics. They are to be moved into and out of as the situation requires. So while as a stand alone picture they are often stupid looking, and again some of the staces shown at the beginning of the thread are atrocious, they are for the most part taken entirely out of context. Really, you'd have to be an idiot not to realize that anyone can take photos from any combative sport and display them out of context to make the person in the photo, or the style represented, look stupid or "bullshido-ish".

Sexe dans la derrière!

Posted On:
    1/14/2006 4:13pm

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai Khmer

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by AikiZenDragon
    Have you ever tried to fight off 6 pissed off asian girls with sticks? Well! Then be quiet, fool....
    That sounds hot. You have pictures?

He'll flip ya!

Posted On:
    1/14/2006 4:22pm

supporting member
     Style: Not.....working

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Limey
    In all the time I spent doing karate I've never met one person who thought that the front stance would work when fighting. Not even the teachers. I've never seen anyone fight from a front stance either.

Canuckyokushin, were you ever told that fighting from a front stance would be a good idea? Anyone else ever been told that?
    No never!I actully have never heard of anyone telling someone that they can fight in that stance.

Now I'm curious.Has anyone been told by their old trainers that a traditional stance is effective in a modern fight.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/14/2006 5:00pm

Style: Koei-Kan, Aikido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Canuckyokushin
    No never!I actully have never heard of anyone telling someone that they can fight in that stance.

Now I'm curious.Has anyone been told by their old trainers that a traditional stance is effective in a modern fight.
    No friggin' way.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/14/2006 5:31pm

Style: Ex-TMA/KB Noob/Judo Noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I know that today we still use these stances for two reasons
    a) To preserve the tradition of the art we study
    b) To strengthen our legs

Back when they were inventing these styles there was no tradition or art to preserve and I'm sure they had better ways to condition their legs.
    What was the original purpose? If (as I suspect) it wasn't for fighting prowess what was it? Nowadays we might be able to get away with doing McDojo training, but back in an age when combat was commonplace and to the death they couldn't afford to waste time training in **** that wasn't useful.

Which leads to the question:

WHY did these stances ever get invented?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/14/2006 5:31pm

Style: Mizong Quan, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Way, dude. At the Tai Chi Legacy tournament in Dallas, there was a White Crane black belt who used to perch on one leg with the other extended in front of him, with both palms outstretched to either side. He started every tilt with that position. The sad part is that he beat some people with that ridiculous stance.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/14/2006 5:53pm

Style: TaiChiPrayingMantis

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
Page 7 of 46 FirstFirst ... 34567 89101117 ... LastLast