Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Knee + Head = Black Eye * 2

Posted On:
    1/13/2006 5:31pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    While Boxing and Muay Thai may not be as far out there, they can come up with some pretty weird stances too. (ok, so I looked for 20 minutes and this is the best I could come up with).

What could this stance possibly be useful for? At least she keeps her hands up ;-)

wants jade ring

Posted On:
    1/13/2006 5:37pm

supporting member
     Style: kung fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by odacon
    In defence of the white crane stance, you're not actually on one leg in it's application.

When you block a kick with your knee you are. The guy has a nice posture, he just needs to get his hands in front of his face.

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    1/13/2006 5:38pm

supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Samfoo
    While Boxing and Muay Thai may not be as far out there, they can come up with some pretty weird stances too. (ok, so I looked for 20 minutes and this is the best I could come up with).
    :new_tomat
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    1/13/2006 5:39pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by inde

When you block a kick with your knee you are. The guy has a nice posture, he just needs to get his hands in front of his face.

and his hip should be thrust out. He'd get knocked over pretty easy blocking a kick like that.
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/13/2006 5:41pm

Style: Koei-Kan, Aikido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thank you, Samfoo.

I HAVE to bring this one back from pics of disaster...

Last edited by FredGarvinMP; 1/13/2006 5:44pm at .

wants jade ring

Posted On:
    1/13/2006 5:44pm

supporting member
     Style: kung fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kidspatula
    and his hip should be thrust out. He'd get knocked over pretty easy blocking a kick like that.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/13/2006 5:47pm

Style: Ex-TMA/KB Noob/Judo Noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kidspatula
    hahaha they have a klingon weapon, that is freakin AWESOME

Kingon Weapon? Riiiiiiight. Go back to history class!

That is clearly a long-forgotten ancient Chinese weapon taught only by fathers to sons. This secret str33t d3adly weapon form was taught to the Sifu. The only outsider to be taught it's mystical secrets.

I won't tell you the real name in chinese because it would make your head explode, but it roughly translates into "double sword +5 with +1d6 acid damage"

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/13/2006 5:52pm

Style: JKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In the above pic, isnt he throwing a knee and not blocking? His leg is not at 45 degrees, his left foot is pointed down, his right foot is on the ball and angled at 45 degrees. A knee I tell you!!

Say what you will, those stances by the monks are beautiful. As I understood it, these stances helped build strength and balance - to be used indirectly in a fight.

Also, I know some of you guys are into working out your 'core' muscles and balance for fights, these stances will help with that.

I would like to get one of the Kung Fu people on here with some info about this rather than assuming - anyone care to comment?

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    1/13/2006 5:52pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by inde

yep, like that

edit: that picture is actually pretty funny, I'll give you credit for that

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/13/2006 6:08pm

Style: Ex-TMA/KB Noob/Judo Noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by FredGarvinMP
    Thank you, Samfoo.

I HAVE to bring this one back from pics of disaster...

It wouldn't be so bad if

a) He wore a proper gi - that one looks like a bjj gi on acid
    b) He wasn't a black belt - that's a poor excuse for a back stance

Now, my comment about stances.

I once heard a student ask one of my old Shotokan teachers why we had such deep stances. His response was that when the average person fights they get excited or nervous and tend to stand high up with a narrow stance that reduces their balance. By practising with exagerated deep stances when the time to fight comes you will a) have stronger legs and b) when you get excited or nervous you will still rise up higher but not as high as you would without training in deep stances and thus you would likely be in a more stable stance.

Also, the Shotokan fighting stance that I was taught was not all that deep, pretty much like every other kickboxing stance I've been shown in the past. I don't really now if practising deep stances helped me maintain a proper fighting stance....I suspect not because I've never seen boxers or kickboxers doing deep stances and they seem to cope ok in a fight. But I do think it helps with leg conditioning. The whole stance thing falls into the "art" side if things. As long as no one is passing forms/kata/the art side off as fight training it's ok in my books. And I think the majority of people would agree with that sentiment.

On the other hand my ITF TKD teacher never once talked about forms having any relation to fighting at all, he never mentioned or taught bunkai. He never said raise your leg like this in form x to block a kick. If we were going to block kicks with ours legs we'd partner up. One guy would kick and the other would block with his leg. There was non of this imaginary opponant stuff either.

So my own personal opinion is that beyond the "art" side of things and leg conditioning those stances don't offer anything related to fighting.
Page 4 of 46 FirstFirst 1234 567814 ... LastLast