Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/13/2006 4:51pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Virus
    In defence of this guy. He's doing the Shotokan kata Gankaku, and this stance is famous for developing....ah no, fuckit. I can't go on.

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    1/13/2006 4:52pm

supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    hahaha they have a klingon weapon, that is freakin AWESOME

Everybody was Kung Fu fighting

Posted On:
    1/13/2006 5:00pm

supporting member
     Style: Tai Chi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by nezha
    that is actually pretty hard. but still useless in a fight

but i think some of these pics might not be of actually fighting martial arts. maybe wushu or something?
    Perhaps the guy in the picture doesn't think that move is for fighting either. Perhaps he does that form as an exercise routine that requires no equipment but involves bodyweight strength exercises (looks like he's doing a pistol in that pic) and isometric postures and stretches chained together in a varied sequence that's less boring to do than repetitive isolation exercises.

I don't know if that's why the guy in the pic does it, as I don't know anything about him, but if that's why he was doing it, would it be a waste of time then ?
    !!RENT SPACE HERE FOR 10 VBUCKS PER LINE PER MONTH!!

!! PM ME FOR SPEEDY SERVICE !!

Sponsored by our first customer: Repulsive Monkey

I <3 Sirc.

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    1/13/2006 5:04pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I find it kind of funny that if you ever type in a style of kung fu in google, what comes up 99% of the time are these "body weight exercises". It really does make it seem like the exercises are the style. If you look up boxing or muay thai, pushups and squats aren't the first images to pop up.
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

My guns bigger than Scrapper's!

Posted On:
    1/13/2006 5:09pm

supporting member
     Style: Kakutogi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cullion
    Perhaps the guy in the picture doesn't think that move is for fighting either. Perhaps he does that form as an exercise routine that requires no equipment but involves bodyweight strength exercises (looks like he's doing a pistol in that pic) and isometric postures and stretches chained together in a varied sequence that's less boring to do than repetitive isolation exercises.

I don't know if that's why the guy in the pic does it, as I don't know anything about him, but if that's why he was doing it, would it be a waste of time then ?
    Sure if they presented it as a body weight routine then no problem there BUT they are presented with some ludicrous application that boogles logic.
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh

Posted On:
    1/13/2006 5:10pm

Style: -

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kidspatula
    that's a great excuse and all, but to call your system a "martial art" implies that it teaches someone how to fight
    I disagree, it can also imply that they teach you how to imitate a fight, which is precisely what they teach you. A good fight choreography IS an art, even if it is unrealistic.

The wushu stances are not inherently silly, they are like yoga postures. The silliness comes from the interpretation of their functionality.

Tomas
    Current stage of death: denial

Misguided style basher

Posted On:
    1/13/2006 5:15pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kata

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by drummerboy
    The wushu stances are not inherently silly, they are like yoga postures. The silliness comes from the interpretation of their functionality.
    I thought it came from the silk trousers?
    You are a total Douchbag. Train more, post nevermore.
    FickleFingerOfFate -08-21-2007 08:59 AM

just die already.
    Plasma - 08-20-2007 11:45 PM

Aikidokkkkakkakakakaaaaa
    Best MA website ever!!!!!: http://www.dogjudo.co.uk/

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    1/13/2006 5:16pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by drummerboy
    I disagree, it can also imply that they teach you how to imitate a fight, which is precisely what they teach you. A good fight choreography IS an art, even if it is unrealistic.

Tomas

perhaps to you and a few others who've been around the martial arts scene, but pretty much everyone not in the know assumes that wushu artists actually do applicable fighting techniques. I mean, how many people walk into a martial arts studio because they'd like to pick up some fighting skills as apposed to the people that go because they'd like to learn to mimick a fight? Would fight choreography schools be as popular if they put "WE DO NOT TEACH HOW TO FIGHT OR DEFEND YOURSELF" on the ad?
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

Everybody was Kung Fu fighting

Posted On:
    1/13/2006 5:16pm

supporting member
     Style: Tai Chi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I find it kind of funny that if you ever type in a style of kung fu in google, what comes up 99% of the time are these "body weight exercises". It really does make it seem like the exercises are the style. If you look up boxing or muay thai, pushups and squats aren't the first images to pop up.
    See Asia's answer:-

Sure if they presented it as a body weight routine then no problem there BUT they are presented with some ludicrous application that boogles logic.
    I don't know if that's the case with the guy in the pic. Not everybody who teaches things likes that presents them with ludicrious applications.

But it seems, sadly, that at a lot of places, they are. Which is why you can find pictures of stuff like that more easily than you can find images of CMA sparring.

But not everybody who does those things thinks they have an insane dragon ball Z application for them. I assume that's wasn't the case when you did your forms whilst studying the various CMAs you've done Asia ?
    !!RENT SPACE HERE FOR 10 VBUCKS PER LINE PER MONTH!!

!! PM ME FOR SPEEDY SERVICE !!

Sponsored by our first customer: Repulsive Monkey

I <3 Sirc.

Posted On:
    1/13/2006 5:30pm

Style: -

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    perhaps to you and a few others who've been around the martial arts scene, but pretty much everyone not in the know assumes that wushu artists actually do applicable fighting techniques. I mean, how many people walk into a martial arts studio because they'd like to pick up some fighting skills as apposed to the people that go because they'd like to learn to mimick a fight? Would fight choreography schools be as popular if they put "WE DO NOT TEACH HOW TO FIGHT OR DEFEND YOURSELF" on the ad?

Well, for this we need to reach for the classic: "Whizzo Chocolates", Monty Python Flying Circus, episode 6.

Relevant excerpt:
    ===
    Milton: We use choicest juicy chunks of fresh Cornish ram's bladder, emptied, steamed, flavoured with sesame seeds whipped into a fondue and garnished with lark's vomit.

Praline: Lark's vomit?

Milton: Correct.

Praline: Well it don't say nothing about that here.

Milton: Oh yes it does, on the bottom of the box, after monosodium glutamate.

Praline: (looking) Well I hardly think this is good enough. I think it would be more appropriate if the box bore a large red label warning lark's vomit.

Milton: Our sales would plummet.
    =====

For the complete sketch go here: http://orangecow.org/pythonet/sketches/crunchy.htm

Tomas
    Current stage of death: denial
Page 3 of 46 FirstFirst 123 456713 ... LastLast