Our Sponsors:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/23/2003 9:47am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Has anybody else here done the dumbass move of forgetting to breath during a really good sparring session?

It's a great feeling to dominate your opponent and then cause yourself to grey out.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    4/23/2003 10:15am

supporting member
     Style: Joe Son Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Rogue that is a great point. Most guys who aren't trained to fight, tire out because the DON'T BREATH during a fight. Training consistantly teaches you to breath during fighting, I think. I'm terribly outta shape right now, but when me a buddies are kidding around and start sparring I always breath and don't get winded easily.

You like apples? How you like them apples, bitch?
    FrontFaceLock from ADCC: "So thats Royce's secret. Voo doo and nut shots?"

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/23/2003 10:47am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "Most guys who aren't trained to fight, tire out because the DON'T BREATH during a fight."

LOL! Hey I came from a JKD background and thought I knew how to fight. Wasn't ready for some nut jobs going at it bare knuckle(moderate contact) for 20 minutes(5 minutes change partners). The things one forgets when someone is trying to rearrange your ribs with their foot.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/23/2003 11:01am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Good posts from Noodles and Punisher, I tend to agree about the importance of dealing with adrenaline, and training the mind to stay focused. I think that's why so many street fights look so bad, the guys just can't control their actions under that kind of stress.

On the subject of stamina etc, there's a guy trying for the world record for one-finger press ups on half a coconut at my dojo soon ! I must admit I'd never heard of it, but he's a previous holder of the non-coconut version of the record .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/23/2003 12:57pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I know more is better, but how much do you think you really need?
    IMO, you can never have enough. Never can tell what might happen; you may need to run (outnumbered or outgunned depending on whether your state has CCW...) or who knows what else; be prepared. Besides, conditioning isn't just for the body; it's for the mind.

TMAs don't condition? IMO all the traditional deep stances and such that MMA guys laugh at are there for the specific purpose of conditioning. Or do you think people used to fight in a horse stance in ancient Japan? Heh.

Think about pre-industrial society; no gym with weight machines, no rowing machine, not even convenient barbells. How do you strengthen your fighters' muscles, strengthen their ligaments, condition them, and teach them to fight? By doing everything in exaggerated ways, with deep tiring stances.

IMO in modern times the martial arts lost some of that, since they weren't the survival training for a country's army; and more so when they came to the West and instructors taught westerners who just learned the stances without knowing why; so by the time Bruce came along and questioned everything nobody knew, even if they were inclined to answer some street punk from Hong Kong :)

Now if you have a McDojo with single-serving lessons of 15 minutes stretching, 15 minutes drill, 15 minutes of other technique, twice a week, the stances and exaggerated movements lose their value; and the instructor still can't tell the student why. The results are obvious.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/23/2003 1:08pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Since you never know how much conditioning you'll need, all you can do is try and make sure you are likely to be more conditioned than the other guy. And since you of course can't know that... It's an impossible question. You can't ever have too much though.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/23/2003 1:09pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    it is the place where u train not the style u train. There are a few MMA schools in my area that plain sux. And some are good for conditioning. At the school i train. We only have 10min set aside for pure conditioning but during class we go pretty high intisitiy level.

But during the class we hit the bags, do punches with heavy weights, jump rope.

But like many people here said before it isnt the style u do it is the school u goto.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12