Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Mostly, I just sit here. Mostly.

Posted On:
    1/23/2006 1:30pm

hall of famestaff
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This is the punch on which I most recently broke my right hand.

I love this punch and hate this punch as I love and hate myself.....

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/23/2006 3:31pm

Style: hackery

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ikken Hisatsu
    hes right though overhands arent used nearly enough. being a southpaw i use them a fair bit- slip under the jab and come over with it. awesome shot for a southpaw. but even so, we dont do much work on it.
    You know, I was looking at footage of my second day of standup ever and I stand southpaw even though I'm right-handed.

And I realized this, even in just a basic intuitive sense, that in that situation a right that comes over vertically could have some advantages, at the very least strategically (because I don't know enough about the physiology to know if it's a powerful punch or not), because it seemed in the footage that arms are held with elbows out wider a lot and the lead arm held high often, and that opened up the body because the arm was up, but because the arm was also forward it kept you from getting to the body.

And I know that if the arm is up and forward, not close to the head, then the head MUST be open, right? If the lead arm is up and forward, especially if they're big on bringing a HEAVY right cross, with just a stiff-arm or swatting left to open up their step forward, then there ought to be a good way to take advantage of the fact that they have that arm up and forward, to make them cover their head better. So going over seemed more doable.

**** ... I need to get AnnaTrocity or one of these other really studious students of boxing to look at some of my footage. They really seem to be knowledgable about form, not that I have any form, but I think from a technique standpoint they could offer a ****-ton of advice.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/23/2006 3:56pm

Style: hackery

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There's a tiny, tiny bit of footage in the following thread -- but, because I haven't been able to spend more than one night slicing footage, that's all I have in downloadable form, and the last 30 seconds is of something different.

But if anyone wants to offer comments on the very small amount you see here (and more is coming, that's half of the standup session, the rest has Lohff absolutely pumelling me -- stepped on my foot to keep me from skipping around, unhinged a pair of automatic shotguns cleverly disguised behind training gloves, and knocked my head around like a cat's toy). But I'm sure there's plenty just in the clip I have sliced to criticize.

http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=30821

People (and even I) focused more on the editing, but in terms of the actual technique even I can see glaring flaws.

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    1/23/2006 4:10pm

supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I use an overhand right against Kat several times in this video

kidspatula vs anna trocity
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

Da Komrads... Again you are MadPelvisOwn3d!

Posted On:
    1/23/2006 11:12pm

supporting member
     Style: Spetsnaz Shovel-Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This has become my favorite punch over the last several years. I use it alot as I am usually shorter than most of my opponents. I usually set it up two ways:

1. Low jab to drop their guard slightly then Ov. Right
    2. Jab & fake shoot to Ov. Right

#2 works like a charm as they start to lower their guard to defend the threat of a takedown. It also adds power to the punch and both lend themselves perfectly for a follow up left hook.
    :icon_twis

To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence;
    Supreme excellence consists in breaking the enemy's resistance without spilling your Guinness.
    Sun "Fu Man JhooJits" Tzu, the Art of War & Guinness

Posted On:
    2/01/2006 8:08am

Style: Kickboxing/Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's a common punch in Mizong, because it's in Tam Toi (the foundation set derived from Muslim CMA), and that's what sets dow the basic kickboxing arsenal. It's used to counter a jab. The retraction also lets you grab something on the way back.

All Out of Bubblegum

Posted On:
    2/01/2006 8:46am

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Yrkoon9
    My overhand right is more commited than most. I lean way into it. I try to time the punch so it lands as my opponent is trying to shoulder-roll off what he thinks will be a right cross. But it comes over his shoulder and hits him behind and under his ear. Almost at the base of the neck.

And, No. I don't care. Like I have said before my striking style relies on the blitz. I throw lots of punches, many of them are bombs, and whether I hit you in the face or the neck doesn't matter to me. What matters is that you respect my punches and go on defense. I prefer punching at someone who has turtled than someone who is throwing.
    Yeah but what if you lean too far into it and get grapple
    d? There goes your punching power, what will you do then, huh?

(I think I'm funny. Other people don't but hey, tough)
    There's no choice but to confront you, to engage you, to erase you. I've gone to great lengths to expand my threshold of pain. I will use my mistakes against you. There's no other choice.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/17/2006 2:16pm

Style: BJJ, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by AnnaTrocity
    I had a lot of success with this technique in beating up (or at least partially so, depending on the opponent) some pretty good boxers yesterday. I usually use it, as above, as the next to last punch in a flurry, though it stands pretty well used on it's own as a counter punch to both jabs and crosses imo.

I think i like it better against a cross, actually.
    I agree. I love it against the cross.
    I suck far too much to slip most people's jabs. But against the cross, it's golden.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/17/2006 4:49pm

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    my muay thai teacher has a slight variation on this. you feint with a knee, and as you're pulling your leg back you use that motion to throw the overhand and hop forward on your front leg. it's very commiting but you get an insane amount of power into it compared with others.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/17/2006 4:56pm

Style: Hung Gar

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kidspatula
    I use an overhand right against Kat several times in this video

kidspatula vs anna trocity
    Just so you know, Kid, that file, according to YSI, has expired and is no longer available for download. Just thought i'd let you know.
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 56 LastLast