Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123 456 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Acupuncturist / Anesthesia Student

Posted On:
    1/14/2006 1:12am

Style: Mostly weights now...

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    One of the first fighting forms that I learned in Tien Shan Pai uses this punch and I've used it in sparring. Since I won't have the chance to spar with you again Emevas, I'll tell you my favorite use of this punch - step in with a left jab to the body and then throw the overhand right.

The jab sets up the right (to get more power) and also tends to bring the opponents hands down in a belated attempt to block the body shot.

This combination is also nicely followed up with a high left hook...if I could throw a nice high left hook.

STOP POSTING!

Posted On:
    1/15/2006 5:14am

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Yrkoon9
    My overhand right is more commited than most. I lean way into it. .

teehee :D

hes right though overhands arent used nearly enough. being a southpaw i use them a fair bit- slip under the jab and come over with it. awesome shot for a southpaw. but even so, we dont do much work on it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/15/2006 12:04pm

Style: MT (no, not "empty")

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    For all those who werent taught the overhand in a boxing class, its likely because this is a advanced technique. Its very easy to **** it up and turn it into a telegraphed sloppy windmill, and its appeal as the big bomb KO punch is seductive. Mighty Mo couldnt help himself and became a OR addict. Can you imagine n00bs who have barely learned how to jab properly trying the overhand? Holy Clusterfuck.

Also Quickfeet brought up a good point with his jab to the body-OR combo.

Bullshido Wikipedia Delegate

Posted On:
    1/15/2006 2:00pm

supporting memberhall of fameBullshido Newbie
     Style: Krav / (Kick)Boxing / BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I vouch for the lazy jab counter effectiveness.

I was sparring against one of the women in my school who are training to be amateur fighters. She has issues with telegraphing and not getting her jab back fast enough.

I did an overhand right counter against her jab literally five times in a row. She eventually got the idea and started bringing that hand back, or doubling up on her jab.

We went over this in an MMA class, and the instructor was explaining how the shoulder rolls forward into the punch, and how he typically throws the punch more frequently in a flurry rather than as a counter. If he threw a 5 punch flurry, it would be the 3rd or 4th punch in there, like jab-jab-overhand-bodyshothook-headshot-hook

Spear Sister

Posted On:
    1/15/2006 2:55pm

supporting membersupporting member
     Style: Dancing the Spears

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I had a lot of success with this technique in beating up (or at least partially so, depending on the opponent) some pretty good boxers yesterday. I usually use it, as above, as the next to last punch in a flurry, though it stands pretty well used on it's own as a counter punch to both jabs and crosses imo.

I think i like it better against a cross, actually.

Sardonic or Sarcastic?

Posted On:
    1/20/2006 4:17pm

supporting member
     Style: Filipino Kun Tao, Kali

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The overhand is also a nasty way to show 'chunners that chain punching isn't all it's cracked up to be. As in "step 45 degrees to their outside and smack them in the nose with an overhand right" (or left, depending on lead).

Yes Koto got his name changed, quit asking...

Posted On:
    1/21/2006 12:23am

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushin Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Overhand rights are pretty common, though I'm not a big fan of using them myself.

Posted On:
    1/23/2006 11:59am

Style: FMA, Jujutsu/Judo/SAMBO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I really like overhands. As stated, they are fantastic at the tail end of a flurry. These can be a defestatingly powerful punch. Since they loop downward, you can get lots of body weight into them by moving forward and dropping your weight.

One of my old instructors was a stocky Filipino, and he would actually throw overhands while bobbing and weaving. And of course, as soon as he landed one, the body would be open for some vicious hooks. Very tricky for infighting, and an effective tactic for shorter fighters.

and good morning to you too

Posted On:
    1/23/2006 12:23pm

supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryno
    I really like overhands. As stated, they are fantastic at the tail end of a flurry. These can be a defestatingly powerful punch. Since they loop downward, you can get lots of body weight into them by moving forward and dropping your weight.

One of my old instructors was a stocky Filipino, and he would actually throw overhands while bobbing and weaving. And of course, as soon as he landed one, the body would be open for some vicious hooks. Very tricky for infighting, and an effective tactic for shorter fighters.

Tall fighters too - with a big stepping overhand right I can cover a lot of distance and even though I'm "inside" i still have plenty of room to throw left hooks to the body or head if they don't clench.
    You can't make people smarter. You can expose them to information, but your responsibility stops there.

Posted On:
    1/23/2006 1:03pm

Style: FMA, Jujutsu/Judo/SAMBO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yup. I'm 6'2, and I like them too, even though I generally wouldn't use them witha bob and weave like my 5'8 instructor. Being on the tall side, I tend not to bob and weave much in general, and usually slip punches instead.
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123 456 LastLast