Monkey Knife Fight!

Posted On:
    1/19/2006 4:51pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Garbanzo Bean
    Yeah . . . I scored well on the ASVAB and the DLAB, and the language training seemed like something worth doing, so it made sense to switch. The job description is kind of vague, but I hope I get to do something worthwhile.

Dempsey: I've heard the **** about 98(G) not getting promoted past E4. I'm going in with a college degree, so that's an automatic E4. I am going for 98(G) as of right now, but I guess we'll see if the people making that call agree with me.

Actually, do you know much about how they choose 98(C)s and 98(G)s? My recruiter is a good guy, but he couldn't tell me much about that.
    My unit is primarily a 98G unit, so I know a lot about them. As for the selection I really don't know. I've heard it's pretty random. My advice to you would be to avoid learning korean, nothing good in the army will come from that. The guys I work with are all spanish linguists and all of them have been E4s for years, one guy is coming up on his 7th year in the army.

Ghost: Where are you stationed at? Weren't you going to selection?

Posted On:
    1/19/2006 4:56pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by D Dempsey
    My unit is primarily a 98G unit, so I know a lot about them. As for the selection I really don't know. I've heard it's pretty random. My advice to you would be to avoid learning korean, nothing good in the army will come from that. The guys I work with are all spanish linguists and all of them have been E4s for years, one guy is coming up on his 7th year in the army.

Could you further explain the avoiding Korean thing, because that was one of the languages I had in my head to write down as a preference (if they still let you do that)? I scored a 121 on the DLAB (not amazing, but good considering I took the test on 1.5 hours of sleep), so that qualifies me for the Category 4 languages, as far as I know (That is still the highest category, right?).

To the mods: Sorry about the derail, I would be happy to switch PM upon request, but it seems like a bunch of Linguists post here, so I'd love to get more of their input. If you want to split this off into a new thread, feel free.

Edit: And to the guys who are answering my questions, I really appreciate it. I never thought to ask on Bullshido about the linguist MOS.
    Last edited by Cassius; 1/19/2006 4:59pm at .
    "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal

Posted On:
    1/19/2006 4:59pm

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by LORD ASIA
    Naw don't do that to yourself. Civilians can go through the course too. We've ceritified several here and Bull is level 3 certified. You just have to hook up with the right pple.
    Ok then, hook me up bro! One NCO to another.

U.S. Army

Posted On:
    1/20/2006 12:08am

supporting member
     Style: Kickboxing/Shooto

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by D Dempsey

I'm stationed at Ft. Benning. Yes, I'm still going to Selection, but not under an 18x contract. I spoke with the SF recruiter while at basic and he said the best thing to do was to wait and go in after you've served some regular time as an infantrymen.

I didnt understand at first, but now I get it. A lot of 18x guys (all of them) are getting reamed...bad. They're being treated like dirt and the chances of making an A-Team? Nill. I have a slot for next year so that's when I'll be heading out. :)
    "did Phrost just call me a 'bitch'?"-Omega

"The collective IQ of bullshido was reduced with the departure of Wastrel. It further dropped due to the retention of (Serious Harm)."
    - The all knowing Dochter

"but like, it's possible to develop such a level of reflex that you can literally detect someones movements through sensitivity, and block without even thinking"-Apostol

That's the amazing thing about Ninjas, for sneeky cocksuckers, they are all over the place, like dog **** on your shoe.-Ronin69

Posted On:
    1/20/2006 12:20am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Ghost
    I'm stationed at Ft. Benning. Yes, I'm still going to Selection, but not under an 18x contract. I spoke with the SF recruiter while at basic and he said the best thing to do was to wait and go in after you've served some regular time as an infantrymen.

I didnt understand at first, but now I get it. A lot of 18x guys (all of them) are getting reamed...bad. They're being treated like dirt and the chances of making an A-Team? Nill. I have a slot for next year so that's when I'll be heading out. :)
    Wow . . . I originally wanted to go in under an 18x contract, but they didn't have ship dates for when I would be ready to go . . . gave me time to think about it, and now I'm glad I changed my mind.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/22/2006 1:49pm

Style: Taijiquan - Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm ex-USAF and USAFR, and not a former linguist.

I've heard that the languages that are popular now are Arabic (and Farsi), Chinese and Korean. If you bust one of those you get put in Spanish. Supposedly you are more likely to get Chinese if you have played a musical instrument due to your ability to discriminate between tones. You can request a language but it is not guaranteed. Getting assigned to another language if you are a first-termer is unlikely. No idea whatsoever about the 98C or 98G thing.

In the late 80s and part of the early 90s the Air Force was pretty lenient about letting the student choose a language - plus the world situation was a bit different with many more languages to choose from. If you had the DLAB score and there was an opening in a class that started the month you arrived - usually lots of classes - you basically had it. Though they would not let someone do details for a few months to just get an obscure language of choice.

You'll see some of the sharpest folks in the service - Enlisted or Officer - in linguist jobs. That can make promotion difficult and it can be somewhat of a "wait your turn" situation. Though you can walk out of the service at the end of your enlistment with a couple of items that look very good to employers - foreign language skills and a high security clearance.

Don't know as much about the 18x contract (I know what it is and how it works) though I'm familiar with a few people who went in under it and busted. IMO, they had no business even trying out. If this is your first-term and you're not in excellent physical and mental shape and can't land navigate really well and don't understand what the SF mission involves - I wouldn't try it. Do a 3-year enlistment in a combat arms job with jump school and see if it is the life for you. Or get Ranger training in your contract if you are especially hooah - those guys don't play around. The SF option is something you can try later.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/22/2006 3:25pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Okay, here's how it works, folks.

Before you ever set foot on DLI soil, your language has already be predecided, based on your DLAB scores.

70-79 = Cat 1 - Spanish, French, Italian
    80-89 = Cat 2 - German is the only Catergory 2 langauge offered the last time I checked at Presidio of Monterey DLIFLC.
    90-99 = Cat 3 - Russian, Serbo-Croation, Vietnamese, Tagalog
    100+ = Cat 4 - Chinese, Korean, Japanese, Arabic.

Those are just a few samplings of the languages in each category, with the exception of Cat 4, as there are only four languages in them.

Now, if you find that you were assigned a language that you do not want, you still have a little bit of flexibility. You'll need to find someone with the langauge you want, and that language must be in the same category as your own. Then you can swap. Talk to your Drill Sergeant and they should help you out. The other method, which is what I employed, is working through your recruiter. Get your recruiter to contact whoever the training NCO is for (this is important!) B-Co 229 MI BN. This may or may not work, but can't hurt much to try, right?

Someone had mentioned that knowing how to play an instrument...blah blah...that's crap. The Army determines your language based off of your DLAB score and available class slots. Certain languages are only available under certain circumstances, IE Japanese is given only to reservists, guardsmen or foks who are important and are going to be stationed in Japan, like officers and senior NCOs.

Something else that might piss you off: Sailors get to choose what language they get. Damn bastards.

Now, are you going to be a Golf of a Chuck? At some point during BCT, you may or may not be given a test. Pass this test and you'll be a Chuck with a language. I was not given the test, but I it has been described to me as "the easiest test I've ever taken in my life," by someone who did go through it. The chance of this is rare, of course, so if you don't want to be a Charlie, don't worry about it.

There are two ways you can fail DLI. One is LOE (lack of effort) and the other is LOA (lack of ability). As an LOA, you'll be sent off to Goodfellow Air Force Base and become a 98C. As an LOE, you'll become a cook or admin or arty, or whatever the Army wants you to do.

Life as a 98G is pretty sucky. If it's not too late, I'd suggest going as a 97E. That's where the fun is, you'll still get a language, and you'll make rank like dog poop attracts flies.

Any more questions?

Posted On:
    1/22/2006 4:11pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I got a 121 on the DLAB, so I've always assumed I'd be doing a Cat 4. That's a lot of interesting info. Thanks Horatio.

Posted On:
    1/22/2006 4:15pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by GregW
    Don't know as much about the 18x contract (I know what it is and how it works) though I'm familiar with a few people who went in under it and busted. IMO, they had no business even trying out. If this is your first-term and you're not in excellent physical and mental shape and can't land navigate really well and don't understand what the SF mission involves - I wouldn't try it. Do a 3-year enlistment in a combat arms job with jump school and see if it is the life for you. Or get Ranger training in your contract if you are especially hooah - those guys don't play around. The SF option is something you can try later.
    I'm in good shape, but not SF shape. I wouldn't feel comfortable going into an 18x unless I was already in SF shape. I poked around on the internet last night, and there was more than one mention of 18x's having a lot of trouble. I also have not determined yet:

1.) If I want to make a career of the military
    2.) Just how hooah I am

Monkey Knife Fight!

Posted On:
    1/22/2006 10:18pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Horatiohooah;
    When where you at DLI?