Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/12/2006 9:35pm

Style: FMA & judo-ultra noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That reality training video is hilarious!

Posted On:
    1/13/2006 12:08am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by I aint punchy!?
    There no weapon twirling in the WC weapons stuff I know... thats more of an Arnis warm up thing.

As for the vids... the sparring videos (aka Attack and Defense) are the same old WC shite. Rolling punches and stamp kicks.... don't these guys know how to apply the rest of the system?
    I don't know any WC weapons, but we do twirl when we're warming up for Kali. It's a strict nono elsewhere. Honestly, I haven't found a way to apply virtually any of the WC I was taught in sparring either. I sense a pattern.

Founder/GrandSensei of Joint British / Papua New Guinean Non-contact Lawn Bowls Jiu Jitsu Committee

Posted On:
    1/13/2006 12:43am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wing Chun when it's used in sparring like that just looks so forced, contrived, awkward... Just do natural movements! Stop trying to force your body into weird shapes it doesnt want to be in!
    Imports from Japan, Shipping Worldwide! Art Junkie, Scramble, BJJ Spirits, Reversal...
    Scramble Stuff

Posted On:
    1/13/2006 12:45am

Style: karate,MMA(between gyms)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's a step in the right direction, but they could do so much more with thier body mechanics, and thier stances are just too unnatural. They could change that, but probably wont.

software engineer

Posted On:
    1/13/2006 3:03am

supporting member
     Style: kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Caelestis
    mm there footwork is dodgey too (second clip its noticable)
    which one, the static drill one?

software engineer

Posted On:
    1/13/2006 3:08am

supporting member
     Style: kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by supercrap
    Wing Chun when it's used in sparring like that just looks so forced, contrived, awkward... Just do natural movements! Stop trying to force your body into weird shapes it doesnt want to be in!
    I disagree about naturalness. Hammerfists and haymakers are natural, but we all know how those work out.

Jabs and crosses are not natural; they are developed against what feels natural.

Founder/GrandSensei of Joint British / Papua New Guinean Non-contact Lawn Bowls Jiu Jitsu Committee

Posted On:
    1/13/2006 3:52am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I did wing chun for over four years and kickboxing for a month.

Doing kickboxing was like a huge release - it felt so natural after confining my movements with wing chun.

I projected my own experience onto that clip, because they do look so awkward.
    Imports from Japan, Shipping Worldwide! Art Junkie, Scramble, BJJ Spirits, Reversal...
    Scramble Stuff

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/13/2006 8:07am

Style: Alien Cosmic Chi Quan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Why is it that every time I see WC clips, the guys look like they have no power in their strikes (even with gear) pitter pattering away at eachother (reliance on chain punches) ?

I saw a fat 60 yr old master of WC (video) throwing much more convincing punches than those guys. Every strike was a fajing, come straight from waist and legs, it was clearly visible by how fast and co-ordinated his body was. I See no such training nowdays. The only effectiveness I see in chian punches IMO is to set up for a bigger technique or to get them on ground (distraction).

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/13/2006 8:23am

Style: nothing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by supercrap
    I did wing chun for over four years and kickboxing for a month.

Doing kickboxing was like a huge release - it felt so natural after confining my movements with wing chun.

I projected my own experience onto that clip, because they do look so awkward.
    I won't disagree that it feels unnatural, at least at first. I will also say I've never trained in anything else (except for a bit of judo many years ago), so perhaps everything else is that way also. I dunno.

('._.)

Posted On:
    1/13/2006 9:30am

Style: Mixed Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Those guys donīt understand the importance of footwork! When they get attacked they either just stand there and try to block it all and eventually fail and cry for their mommy while the other guy unleashes a flurry on punches on them, or they just back up until they go to a wall and the same thing happens. MOVE TO THE SIDES DAMN IT!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast