Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/11/2006 7:52pm

Style: Untrained

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Two Things, from a Newbie/Untrained

I have two issues to bringup. One is, how do I get over my insecurities about trained female fighters. I have an inherent insecurity about myself when comparing my fighting abilities to them, which hinders my social relationships with them. Any tips on getting rid of this insecurity? I dont want to feel ashamed of myself just because a woman has a blackbelt in karate or another and I am just an untrained athlete. Maybe some of the girls on here can tell me tips on how they helped insecure guys be more accepting.
    My second thing is the concept of focusing power in your hits. I know martial arts is meant to develop, in some cases, the ability to intensify your power in a hit, through training. But, without this training, it seems that humans have an innate ability to power in their hits due to the emotions that arise in some conflicts. So, is martial arts really needed to get your most powerful hit in, or do you stand a better chance at allowing the emotions of a situation to control you?

P.S My stats, if anyone has any recommendations for a martial art to train in that would be well suited for my body type: Height: 6'3, Weight: 225, played football and soccer in high school.

Posted On:
    1/11/2006 8:04pm

Style: Sanda, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Letting emotions control you has its pros and cons. Mostly cons in my opinion.

I'd generally take PROPER training over an untrained adrenaline rush any day. The reason being that when you're in control of your emotions you won't do idiotic things like charge forward and try and tackle a Jujitsu master. Plus, training can give you some wonderful weapons to use like hip throws, armbars, triangle chokes, roundhouses etc. Many of these moves have been proven in MMA competition to work against opponents with superior strength and power, which ultimately makes them useful since we can't count on being able to overpower our enemies all the time.

As for women, we just have to suck it up and train with them. Generally, MA women don't look down on men just for being untrained. There's plenty of men join the MAs after women and possess rankings under them. There's no shame in it, plenty of us on this board are outranked by women.

The following arts have the best quality control for their schools at the moment: Kyokushin Karate, Brazilian Jujitsu, Muay Thai, Chinese Sanda, Kodokan Judo, Sambo, etc.
    Ultimately you should make your choice based on the quality of the individual school, I'm sure someone on this board can recommend a school based on your location. Around what area are you in?

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    1/11/2006 8:13pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Wing Chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ace_skippy

P.S My stats, if anyone has any recommendations for a martial art to train in that would be well suited for my body type: Height: 6'3, Weight: 225, played football and soccer in high school.
    Just curious how you played both football and soccer in high school when they are both fall sports?

Senior Administrator

Posted On:
    1/11/2006 8:14pm

staff
     Style: JKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As to fighting women: Grow up. Deal with it.

There.

(P.S. I am WELL aware this does not seem a helpful post. It is. All the advice that anyone can give amounts to this. Grow up. Be an adult. DEAL WITH IT.)
    Monkey Ninjas! Attack!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/11/2006 8:50pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JKDChick
    As to fighting women: Grow up. Deal with it.

There.

(P.S. I am WELL aware this does not seem a helpful post. It is. All the advice that anyone can give amounts to this. Grow up. Be an adult. DEAL WITH IT.)
    What are your stats JKDChick? Most of the fighting women ive encountered have been around 5'4, 110 lbs.
    In response to the guy who said soccer and football are fall sports, I played club soccer year round, and varsity football during the fall.

Converter of Virgins

Posted On:
    1/11/2006 8:56pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: H'ung Ga & SPM

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Insecurities centered on Female MA ... huh? Dude, you read like a fucking troll.

This is Bullshido where seeking out and exposing bullshit reigns supreme ... I think. Regardless, way wrong forum to float your issues. Google Search ... 'Tard Boys Afraid of Confident Women and see what pops up.

And Noobs wonder why they are repeatedly told to STFU ... fucking bonehead thinks this a Dear Abby forum or some such crap ... what a total dweeb shitrat. The BEAST

Converter of Virgins

Posted On:
    1/11/2006 9:01pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: H'ung Ga & SPM

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ace_skippy
    What are your stats JKDChick?
    WTF? Look Noob ... you would be well advised to read several of JKDChick's posts before trying to pick her up or suck up to her.

You "think" you have issues with fighting Women now ... she'll give you a lifetime of nightmares without even trying.

Most of the fighting women ive encountered have been around 5'4, 110 lbs.
    Wunnerful ... you are scared of and/or insecure around Pocket Rockets ... thanks for sharing Skippy. Now STFU Noob. The BEAST

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/11/2006 9:02pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JFS USA
    Insecurities centered on Female MA ... huh? Dude, you read like a fucking troll.

This is Bullshido where seeking out and exposing bullshit reigns supreme ... I think. Regardless, way wrong forum to float your issues. Google Search ... 'Tard Boys Afraid of Confident Women and see what pops up.

And Noobs wonder why they are repeatedly told to STFU ... fucking bonehead thinks this a Dear Abby forum or some such crap ... what a total dweeb shitrat. The BEAST
    Sorry, talk big behind the computer, but I'd surely lay you out off of the computer, training or no training. Tell your mom to STFU.: )

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/11/2006 9:03pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JFS USA
    WTF? Look Noob ... you would be well advised to read several of JKDChick's posts before trying to pick her up or suck up to her.

You "think" you have issues with fighting Women now ... she'll give you a lifetime of nightmares without even trying.

Wunnerful ... you are scared of and/or insecure around Pocket Rockets ... thanks for sharing Skippy. Now STFU Noob. The BEAST
    If she tries me in hand to hand combat, I'd lay her out quickly. Lol, would be no different than restraining a fucking 12 yr old.

Senior Administrator

Posted On:
    1/11/2006 9:36pm

staff
     Style: JKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    For the record, I'm 5'7", 165 pounds, a BJJ Blue belt with multiple gold medals and a boxer/kickboxer/JKD Concepts stand-up fighter.

I like men, so you're out of the running there, ace.

You are now declared a troll unless you prove otherwise.
    Monkey Ninjas! Attack!
Page 1 of 74 1 23451151 ... LastLast