Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/12/2006 3:48pm

Style: No-Gi BJJ, Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    According to http://www.bjpenn.com/bio.html BJ started training jiu-jitsu in 1997, when this video was supposedly shot, so he would have been a white or blue belt at the time in bjj.

Exasperated.

Posted On:
    1/12/2006 4:26pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Planktime
    I also dont beleive that he is a white belt in BJJ during this tourniment. He may be i may just be off base but it seems like he is wearing a white belt because he dosnt hold a belt in judo.
    David (or Dan, I can't keep them straight but its the better one) confirmed that BJ was indeed a BJJ white belt at the time of this tournament.

BJ is not however human and so it doesn't speak a lot about what your typical bjj whitebelt with similar experience would do to competitive judo blackbelts.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    1/12/2006 8:19pm

supporting member
     Style: na

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    BJ Penn's techniques were not the best from a Judo perspective and the ref should have DQed him for stalling not "doing Judo" during the fight.

What the video does show is that Judo needs this kind of influence from BJJ to evolve some more. BJJ is having a good effect on Judo in Japan because a lot of younger guys are cross training and/or using techniques to up their game. Also, it is getting more guys from my dojo interested in going to open grappling tournements which means more fun for me.

Posted On:
    1/12/2006 11:09pm

Style: Revive old threads-fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    are there any bjj schools in japan?

Posted On:
    1/12/2006 11:17pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Revivo
    Are there any judo schools in America?

Middleweight

Posted On:
    1/12/2006 11:18pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Revivo
    Yeah but the closest is about an 1 1/2 each way by train. I am happy with the depth of newaza in my Judo dojo since several of the guys did almost newaza specific training for several years.

The prospects of doing grappling tourneys is exciting though. The mindset and theory is much different from what I end up seeing in Judo tournements now.

The ground skills in Japan are way different than what I have seen in US Judo. Granted I have only been to 2 clubs but the place I go in Japan has some guys who are really into newaza.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/24/2006 4:58am

Style: BJJ & MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MONGO
    BJ Penn's techniques were not the best from a Judo perspective and the ref should have DQed him for stalling not "doing Judo" during the fight.
    How was he stalling? He jumped guard once in the beginning and then scored a **** ton of takedowns.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    1/24/2006 8:43am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Jumping into guard is contrary to the style of competition that Judo is. If you flop on your back, the other guy should be awarded a point in accordance. The Ref really wasn't doing his job.

I liked his skill on the ground and I think that judoka should do more ground fighting but I like judo because standing techniques are also important. What BJ Penn did was not Judo, it was good and the BB's deserve to have their asses kicked for being piss poor on the ground, but it wasn't judo at all. :thebirdma

The idea of Judo tachiwaza is clean control with power and properly executed waza to simulate a "kill" by throwing to the ground. Clear ownage is the goal.
    Last edited by MONGO; 1/24/2006 8:46am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/24/2006 10:00am

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This video proves that Judo guys should be more concerned in learning Newaza too, you see how they sucked on the ground ?!Its good they got owned, luckly most Judokas are starting to realize this and are starting to train in Newaza more.

Plus he is not the average BJJ practicioner, so this video is just stupid nutriding.

Hey Kimura beat Gracie, Judo is the best!
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234