223542 Bullies, 3590 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Results 21 to 30 of 39
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 123 4 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image
  1. Olorin is offline
    Olorin's Avatar

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    2,055

    Posted On:
    1/12/2006 1:54am

    supporting memberhall of fame
     Style: Judo

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by seeker of truth
    Hope this wans't posted yet, pretty cool I think...
    Search function! NOOB!
  2. hate2beU is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Garden Grove
    Posts
    117

    Posted On:
    1/12/2006 2:19am


     Style: Kickboxing

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Great Clips ! The Black belts didn't look thrilled losing to Penn...Oh well !
  3. Teh El Macho is offline
    Teh El Macho's Avatar

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia
    Posts
    11,762

    Posted On:
    1/12/2006 12:01pm

    supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by AAAhmed46
    Didn't he train like five times a week?
    Time permitting, serious practitioners train a LOOOOOOOOOOT more than that. Most casual MA practitioners train with 3 to 5 times a week, 1 to 1.5 hour each session on average... again time permitting.

    Serious practitioners do A LOT MORE. For them, training takes precendence over most other things, just like any athlete in any sport. Take Kimura for example - he did like 9 hours of training a day, every day. It sounds like a lot to most of us mere mortals, but 10 hours a week would be the minimum norm for any serious practitioner who wants to get somewhere... just like any other athlete in any sport.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

    My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

    New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

    t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

    The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris
  4. Ming Loyalist is offline
    Ming Loyalist's Avatar

    solves problems with violence

    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    4,302

    Posted On:
    1/12/2006 12:08pm

    supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    more importantly he was able to fly in the world's best instructors for private lessons as well.

    putting in productive time is just as important as putting in the time.
  5. Draven is offline
    Draven's Avatar

    ('._.)

    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1,755

    Posted On:
    1/12/2006 12:17pm


     Style: Mixed Martial Arts

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Didnīt he lie to his parents that he was using this money to pay for college, but spent it all on BJJ lessons?
  6. Planktime is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    402

    Posted On:
    1/12/2006 12:56pm


     Style: Arnis, judo, Taichi

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ming Loyalist
    maybe he's wearing a white belt because he doesn't have a belt rank in judo.

    i mean it's a judo tournament, in judo he IS a white belt.

    I have always objected to this video showing the 3l337n355 of BJJ. I am not sure if it is because it makes the judo players look so bad, or if it is the fact that you have a world class athelete going against some black belts of unknown reputation. I also dont beleive that he is a white belt in BJJ during this tourniment. He may be i may just be off base but it seems like he is wearing a white belt because he dosnt hold a belt in judo.

    On a positive side this video and events like this is the reason my Judo club works so hard on the ground. So maybe this is similar to the history of judo where the "young" judoka "rebels" tuned the jujitsu world on its ear.
  7. Cough/Cool is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    338

    Posted On:
    1/12/2006 2:27pm


     Style: JKD

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by elnyka
    Time permitting, serious practitioners train a LOOOOOOOOOOT more than that. Most casual MA practitioners train with 3 to 5 times a week, 1 to 1.5 hour each session on average... again time permitting.

    Serious practitioners do A LOT MORE. For them, training takes precendence over most other things, just like any athlete in any sport. Take Kimura for example - he did like 9 hours of training a day, every day. It sounds like a lot to most of us mere mortals, but 10 hours a week would be the minimum norm for any serious practitioner who wants to get somewhere... just like any other athlete in any sport.

    But when you say 9 hours a day, you don't mean straight Judo right? I mean conditioning, stretching, this is all training. I don't think the body can handle that much.

    A lot of the new school thinking actually promote a lot of rest. Take Rhadi Ferguson's training approach of being intense and streesing quality over quantity. In addition, some MA peopel take notes, pictures and perfect their moves training pure technique at a very low intensity. It is impossible to go all out everyday.
  8. Cough/Cool is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    338

    Posted On:
    1/12/2006 2:29pm


     Style: JKD

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Planktime
    I have always objected to this video showing the 3l337n355 of BJJ. I am not sure if it is because it makes the judo players look so bad, or if it is the fact that you have a world class athelete going against some black belts of unknown reputation. I also dont beleive that he is a white belt in BJJ during this tourniment. He may be i may just be off base but it seems like he is wearing a white belt because he dosnt hold a belt in judo.

    On a positive side this video and events like this is the reason my Judo club works so hard on the ground. So maybe this is similar to the history of judo where the "young" judoka "rebels" tuned the jujitsu world on its ear.

    I heard he was a white belt in BJJ at this time as well because he had just started training at an actual academy (I thought I heard it was Ralph Gracies') - regardless, he had a neighbor that he trained hard with before he joined a school.
  9. Aesopian is offline

    Light Heavyweight

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    4,501

    Posted On:
    1/12/2006 2:30pm

    Business Class Supporting Member
     Aesopian.com 

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by AAAhmed46
    Didn't he train like five times a week?
    This is impossible with alive training.
  10. Revivo is offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Dallas
    Posts
    6

    Posted On:
    1/12/2006 2:46pm


     Style: Revive old threads-fu

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    does sparring count as alive training?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 123 4 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Powered by vBulletin™© contact@vbulletin.com vBulletin Solutions, Inc. 2011 All rights reserved.