Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    1/12/2006 1:54am

supporting memberhall of fame
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by seeker of truth
    Hope this wans't posted yet, pretty cool I think...
    Search function! NOOB!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/12/2006 2:19am

Style: Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Great Clips ! The Black belts didn't look thrilled losing to Penn...Oh well !

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    1/12/2006 12:01pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by AAAhmed46
    Didn't he train like five times a week?
    Time permitting, serious practitioners train a LOOOOOOOOOOT more than that. Most casual MA practitioners train with 3 to 5 times a week, 1 to 1.5 hour each session on average... again time permitting.

Serious practitioners do A LOT MORE. For them, training takes precendence over most other things, just like any athlete in any sport. Take Kimura for example - he did like 9 hours of training a day, every day. It sounds like a lot to most of us mere mortals, but 10 hours a week would be the minimum norm for any serious practitioner who wants to get somewhere... just like any other athlete in any sport.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

solves problems with violence

Posted On:
    1/12/2006 12:08pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    more importantly he was able to fly in the world's best instructors for private lessons as well.

putting in productive time is just as important as putting in the time.

('._.)

Posted On:
    1/12/2006 12:17pm

Style: Mixed Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Didnīt he lie to his parents that he was using this money to pay for college, but spent it all on BJJ lessons?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/12/2006 12:56pm

Style: Arnis, judo, Taichi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ming Loyalist
    maybe he's wearing a white belt because he doesn't have a belt rank in judo.

i mean it's a judo tournament, in judo he IS a white belt.

I have always objected to this video showing the 3l337n355 of BJJ. I am not sure if it is because it makes the judo players look so bad, or if it is the fact that you have a world class athelete going against some black belts of unknown reputation. I also dont beleive that he is a white belt in BJJ during this tourniment. He may be i may just be off base but it seems like he is wearing a white belt because he dosnt hold a belt in judo.

On a positive side this video and events like this is the reason my Judo club works so hard on the ground. So maybe this is similar to the history of judo where the "young" judoka "rebels" tuned the jujitsu world on its ear.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/12/2006 2:27pm

Style: JKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by elnyka
    Time permitting, serious practitioners train a LOOOOOOOOOOT more than that. Most casual MA practitioners train with 3 to 5 times a week, 1 to 1.5 hour each session on average... again time permitting.

Serious practitioners do A LOT MORE. For them, training takes precendence over most other things, just like any athlete in any sport. Take Kimura for example - he did like 9 hours of training a day, every day. It sounds like a lot to most of us mere mortals, but 10 hours a week would be the minimum norm for any serious practitioner who wants to get somewhere... just like any other athlete in any sport.

But when you say 9 hours a day, you don't mean straight Judo right? I mean conditioning, stretching, this is all training. I don't think the body can handle that much.

A lot of the new school thinking actually promote a lot of rest. Take Rhadi Ferguson's training approach of being intense and streesing quality over quantity. In addition, some MA peopel take notes, pictures and perfect their moves training pure technique at a very low intensity. It is impossible to go all out everyday.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/12/2006 2:29pm

Style: JKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Planktime
    I have always objected to this video showing the 3l337n355 of BJJ. I am not sure if it is because it makes the judo players look so bad, or if it is the fact that you have a world class athelete going against some black belts of unknown reputation. I also dont beleive that he is a white belt in BJJ during this tourniment. He may be i may just be off base but it seems like he is wearing a white belt because he dosnt hold a belt in judo.

On a positive side this video and events like this is the reason my Judo club works so hard on the ground. So maybe this is similar to the history of judo where the "young" judoka "rebels" tuned the jujitsu world on its ear.

I heard he was a white belt in BJJ at this time as well because he had just started training at an actual academy (I thought I heard it was Ralph Gracies') - regardless, he had a neighbor that he trained hard with before he joined a school.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    1/12/2006 2:30pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     Aesopian.com 

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by AAAhmed46
    Didn't he train like five times a week?
    This is impossible with alive training.

Posted On:
    1/12/2006 2:46pm