Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Judo Instructor

Posted On:
    1/12/2006 5:40pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The anatomy of the forearm is such that the three highest digits (pink, ring, middle fingers) fuse to a common tendon connecting to flexor digitorum profundus - the main mucle that flexes the finger. The index finger also attaches to this muscle, but via a separate tendon.

These tendon run straighter, through the carpal tunnel, if only three fingers are engaged; the index finger causes the tendon group to deviate. This may weaken the grip a bit.

The tendon to the thumb is also somewhat bent as it goes through the wrist.

Try this - make a fist with just the 3-5 fingers. Feel your tendons in the wrist with your other hand. Add your index and thumb into the grip, and feel how the tendons shift.

See http://www.bartleby.com/107/illus415.html or http://www.emedicine.com/plastic/topic296.htm

With a gi, I prefer the three finger grip; but for no-gi, I like to grab the arm by pinching with thumb and forefinger, just above the epicondyles of the humerus (bony projections just above the elbow).

PS. I seem to remember that some wrestlers prefer the four finger (no thumb) grip when working an arm. Not so sure why.
    Last edited by dakotajudo; 1/12/2006 5:44pm at . Reason: added PS

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/12/2006 5:50pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just to clarify, what I was saying about using only the lower two fingers to grip was only in reference to judo nage-waza.

Judo Instructor

Posted On:
    1/13/2006 9:24am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omar
    That so totally finnaly explains why a trick I learned to deal with "power handshakes" works so well. I have really scrawny forearms and so I can never match a lot of guys grips but somewhere along the line I learned that if I sense one of those super crushing alpha male dominance moments coming on all I have to do is extend my index finger in the middle of the shake and kind of ...I dunno..project intent out through it and it doesn't let me squeeze real hard or anything but it seems to completely "immunize" me against getting my hand crushed.
    There is similar trick I've been taught (though I don't put much faith in it, to be honest) that involves using the index finger, in such a handshake, to put pressure on the tendons of the (opposite) forearm.

If I were to postulate a physiological mechanism, I would include the stretch receptors in tendons, that act as a failsafe - high tension in a tendon feeds back to the muscle, inhibiting muscle contractions and decrease tension on the tendon.

Tendons are commonly more limiting in generating muscle force than the muscles themselves. This is why people under physical stress or competition can tear tendons - mental drive overcomes the safety system.

On the other hand, the "project intent" comment reminds me of aikido, where I've used the mental image of projecting to maintain good forearm and wrist alingment. That may be what's protecting your grip.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    1/13/2006 10:06am

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Meex
    No.
    Weightlifters grips vary, and most are mainly overhand finger or palm grip.

`~/

Even FMA,
    lightly with thumb and forefinger while twirling, but, with lower fingers otherwise.
    Dito. I used to bench press using the thumb to grip the barbell, and every once in a while, I would develop pain deep in my palms, somewhere around the metacarpals. Then, I was told to use a palm grip (not using my thumb). It gets harder to control the barbell, but I've never had pain problems in my thumbs ever since.... just an anecdote a bit off-topic.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123