Genius

Posted On:
    1/14/2006 8:13pm

supporting member
     Style: Kru-MuayThai,GJJ-Blue

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cullion
    I doubt that it would be much use in MMA gloves either even if it does work.
    MMA gloves don't have much padding on those knuckles used in those type of strikes, they usually only cover the knuckles closest to the palm. 2nd knuckle out could do the same amount of "damage" with or without MMA gloves.

Everybody was Kung Fu fighting

Posted On:
    1/14/2006 8:37pm

supporting member
     Style: Tai Chi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for letting me know. I've never sparred with MMA gloves.
    !!RENT SPACE HERE FOR 10 VBUCKS PER LINE PER MONTH!!

!! PM ME FOR SPEEDY SERVICE !!

Sponsored by our first customer: Repulsive Monkey

I <3 Sirc.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/15/2006 6:01am

Style: Bujinkan Budo Taijutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    One reason that comes to mind is that it's rather silly to mix and match dfferent styles' striking methods and footwork. Given two paradigms, unless you have a thorough understanding of the power generation mechanics behind both, it is counterproductive to try blending them. This is why you see strikes that sort of "look like" a boxing hook but still need to be different.

From what I've seen, footwork in many TMAs does not have the fighter pushing off the ground with the balls of his feet, for one because it's not a fantastically safe way of generating power on many types of surfaces. Actually a pretty serious consideration in regions where you end up on ice a lot. (I guess that's an example of climate's impact on punching :smile:).

Also a good point that many of the "exotic" fists make more sense if you imaging the fighter using hand weapons like daggers or things like koppo sticks.

Lightweight

Posted On:
    1/15/2006 8:21am

supporting member
     Style: Choy Lay Fut

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PirateJon
    If you have a TMA punch that's "kind of like a hook" or something, what is the benifit to practicing it instead of a normal hook?
    While I can't speak for other styles, the choy lay fut wan-sao is pretty similar to a hook, however the striking surface is the forearm, so the arm is straighter. Since competition with gloves is not the only purpose to the training of the strike, it is often drlled both as a forearm strike and also like a hook, two different ways of training the strike for two different eventual purposes.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/15/2006 9:14pm

Style: WSL Wing Chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Open hand strikes are good for when you're too close to throw an effective punch. A "slap" using the heel of the hand to the side of someone's head can be very damaging, especially if you damage their eardrum from the pressure.

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    1/16/2006 12:04am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Thaiboxerken
    There were a couple kung fu guys in the original 3 UFC's, before they required gloves. I think if they were so effective, they'd be used often and work.
    It worked for that dude who knocked out the pimp in that vid. Knife hand to the neck dropped the guy.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/16/2006 8:16am

Style: Aunkai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DerAuslander108
    It worked for that dude who knocked out the pimp in that vid. Knife hand to the neck dropped the guy.
    one thing to remember about the open hand techniques is that the focus point with which you deliver the technique has a smaller surface area.

Assuming one has good enough targeting to hit a soft spot, it is easy to see why these techniques may be employed.

software engineer

Posted On:
    1/24/2006 11:26am

supporting member
     Style: kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MaverickZ
    cool, thanks. i thought i heard somewhere that he preferred palms, i guess i was wrong.
    Palm strikes have their place.
    My knuckle was killing me in practice from getting hit by a stick in a unihoc game, but I could hit with a palm just for drilling purposes no problem. I imagine I would do that if I had to on teh street, if I knew my knuckles or wrist were not going to hold up.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/24/2006 2:10pm

Style: WTF TKD, BJJ/MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As well, in the earlier UFC's, Dan Severn used alot of heel palm strikes when he was ontop of other fighters because fucked up his fists frm knuckle punching.

Other strikes have thier place, but they are generally "additional moves"

For example you have your basic punches and roundhouse kicks you need to know...

And additionally, if they work for you you can add spinning back or spinning hook kicks, flying knees, spinning backfists, etc.

They aren't you're basic bread and butter, but can add to your game if used effectivly..

Posted On:
    1/30/2006 1:15pm

Style: TKD, MT, KEMPO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thaiboxeren, The tiger claw to the throat has worked for me in several brawls, back in the 80's. but that night have all changed, with the UFC, because now, everyone knows BJJ and Muay Thai. Some people, (actually, everyone that I've used it on) actually panic from a trachea grab or strike. One guy passed out from me punching him in the groin. You can't do that in the ring, but it happened. What i'm trying to say, is that using certain techniques on an obviously trained fighter can be hazardous, but against some, if not most assholes, it may be a faster way to finish the fight. Also, I would be careful where some of you use your t3he Deadly boxing training- you might end up in the hood and get schooled by some one who stared going to a real boxing gym ,way before you every started all that MMA type stuff.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234