Posted On:
    1/13/2006 5:24am

supporting member
     Style: American Kenpo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by omega
    About time you chimed in you old ****... :deadhorse
    Yea, this BumFu is a total troll, maybe his posts needs to go in trollshido for talkiing out of his misinformed ass all the time.

Have a great Kenpo day

Clyde
    Saving Kenpo souls one at a time!

Put down your purse!

Speed is fine, but accuracy is final. Wyatt Earp, 1888

"For certain 'tis a shameful spite, and dreadful to the heart,
    For an Irishman to see a fight, and not be taking part."

--"How McPherson Held the Floor"

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    1/13/2006 8:27am

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sorry to hijack the thread... Clyde, if you know of any good kenpo schools in South Florida (Miami or Ft. Lauderdale), could you give me any recommendations? (Either PM or in this thread for others to use). I know there was one 'Tiger & Dragon' Kenpo Academy down in Miami for ages, but never knew if it was good or not. Thanks.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Kenpo Instructor

Posted On:
    1/13/2006 8:58am

supporting member
     Style: American Kenpo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by elnyka
    Sorry to hijack the thread... Clyde, if you know of any good kenpo schools in South Florida (Miami or Ft. Lauderdale), could you give me any recommendations? (Either PM or in this thread for others to use). I know there was one 'Tiger & Dragon' Kenpo Academy down in Miami for ages, but never knew if it was good or not. Thanks.
    Hey, it's on the subject of Kenpo right?

I wished I had better news for you. I haven't seen any Kenpoist in the FL area, or for that matter, hardly any one the East Coast, that are even worth your time. Lee Epperson and Mike Lambert are in Maryland, and Jose Ponce in VA are the closet that I know of that have any worth to me. I've seen them and they're students and they are rock fucking solid. You gotta link to the Tiger Dragon school, see if I know them or not?

You could try Kenny (G) Gonzales with his Kali Kenpo LOL.

Have a great Kenpo day

Clyde
    Saving Kenpo souls one at a time!

Put down your purse!

Speed is fine, but accuracy is final. Wyatt Earp, 1888

"For certain 'tis a shameful spite, and dreadful to the heart,
    For an Irishman to see a fight, and not be taking part."

--"How McPherson Held the Floor"

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    1/13/2006 10:54am

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Aha!!! I found it. Well, I didn't found a web link to Tiger & Dragon, but I found out Bart Vale is its chairman and chief instructor. The school is located in South West Miami (not far from where I used to live years ago). Information is sketchy, but it seems the school has been renamed to something like "Kempo Karate & Shootfighting".

Not that I'm intending to enroll cuz I live too far up north of it nowadays. But I remember in my college years that I would take the bus to school, and I passed in front of it many, many times wanting to enroll but couldn't... overworked at McDonalds, overworked at school, undersexed-thus-frustrated.... oh, those years. ****, I'm getting old.

*** edit *** I've heard ambivalent things about Vale, so I don't know what to make of Tiger & Dragon... and this story shall also be told... in another thread perhaps :pity:
    Last edited by Teh El Macho; 1/13/2006 11:01am at .
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/13/2006 11:52am

Style: chung do kwan tkd

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Clyde
    Hey, it's on the subject of Kenpo right?

I wished I had better news for you. I haven't seen any Kenpoist in the FL area, or for that matter, hardly any one the East Coast, that are even worth your time. Lee Epperson and Mike Lambert are in Maryland, and Jose Ponce in VA are the closet that I know of that have any worth to me. I've seen them and they're students and they are rock fucking solid. You gotta link to the Tiger Dragon school, see if I know them or not?

You could try Kenny (G) Gonzales with his Kali Kenpo LOL.

Have a great Kenpo day

Clyde

Just so the thread comes full-circle, Mr. Epperson has a "The Perfect Weapon" movie poster on his wall :happy8:

Posted On:
    1/13/2006 12:17pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Why don't you get your lips unlocked from Thorton's ass and stop riding the fuckers tail coat. To educate your fucking ass many experianced kickboxers have a real strong kempo background especially here on the west coast. This **** about kempo not practicing aliveness is like saying bjj only fights from its back. It's bullshit.

The fucking kata debate has been done to death but if kata was really that obsolete then why shadow box. You're not hitting anything, you have no resistance. Huh, so much for practical training. I'm so fucking tired of this aliveness crap. I've seen the arguements that Thorton has put forward and if they weren't so far to the left I'd agree with the ****. I'm with Clyde on this one STFU; newb or not you're coming off as a fucking moron. I hate tooting my own horn but what I said is essentially true, it doesn't matter what style or system you train in if it doesn't offer what you want it's useless to you. If you want a fucking effective fighting system then you train with somebody who likes to train people how to fight. Gee, that's basically what muay thai, mma and boxing gyms do. If you want to compete in grappling then you go to a grappling school. Should be obvious but apparently not to most of you fucks. The guy wanted to know what we thought of Cerio Kempo not Kempo as a whole because as our Aussie friend has been trying to tell you fucks it's about as generalized as saying kung-fu or karate. So go find another thread where you might contribute someting useful like the "I've been fucked in the ass by too many Canadian" thread. That's where all the rest of the 1 brain celled members seem to be posting.
    I'd sig your entire paragraph if I could.

Posted On:
    1/13/2006 12:41pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ - Homeland Security

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The fucking kata debate has been done to death but if kata was really that obsolete then why shadow box. You're not hitting anything, you have no resistance. Huh, so much for practical training. I'm so fucking tired of this aliveness crap. I've seen the arguements that Thorton has put forward and if they weren't so far to the left I'd agree with the ****.
    "Left"?

Anyway, not only do I shadowbox between rounds of skipping during warmups, but I also do armbar trapping motions by myself. Not surprisingly, I do hip escapes without someone there trying to take knee-on-belly. The difference between those exercises and kata is that what I do corresponds to what I would do in a fight. Shadowboxing helps you improve footwork in isolation and the other techniques don't change at all when I have another person to apply them on. Kata, on the other hand, does not approximate a live fight well enough to be worthwhile, and that's without considering that most schools explicitly separate kata from sparring. Shadowboxing leads into drilling which leads into sparring; there is no binary switch.

Posted On:
    1/13/2006 12:58pm

Join us... or die
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnought
    Kata, on the other hand, does not approximate a live fight well enough to be worthwhile, and that's without considering that most schools explicitly separate kata from sparring. Shadowboxing leads into drilling which leads into sparring; there is no binary switch.
    I beleive there was a vid of some guy performing a "realistic" kata, months ago. I think the guy was a kyokushin practitioner.

Ive been trying to find the video once again, but to no avail.

If somebody remmbers it and cant post a link, Id appreciate.

OFFICIAL Mayor of Cwcville

Posted On:
    1/13/2006 1:45pm

supporting member
     Style: Electricity, Speed

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I like how, as the debate over whether or not D. SHreDda, Esq. should take Kempo rages on, the fact that his entire interest in martial art comes from Tekken has gone completely unnoticed.
    Captain's Log: Just a little update for all my TRUE and HONEST friends out there:

1) I am STRAIGHT! I am STRAIGHT! Get it through your thick skulls, numbskulls!

2) My name is not Ian Brandon Something.

3) Kacey is coming with me now. I have stolen her from the other Christian Weston Chandler.

REMINDER: I am still the one and only true creator of sonichu and rosechu electric hedgehog pokemon

Posted On:
    1/13/2006 4:11pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Tracy Kenpo/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

re:

Quote Originally Posted by elnyka
    Aha!!! I found it. Well, I didn't found a web link to Tiger & Dragon, but I found out Bart Vale is its chairman and chief instructor. The school is located in South West Miami (not far from where I used to live years ago). Information is sketchy, but it seems the school has been renamed to something like "Kempo Karate & Shootfighting".

Not that I'm intending to enroll cuz I live too far up north of it nowadays. But I remember in my college years that I would take the bus to school, and I passed in front of it many, many times wanting to enroll but couldn't... overworked at McDonalds, overworked at school, undersexed-thus-frustrated.... oh, those years. ****, I'm getting old.

*** edit *** I've heard ambivalent things about Vale, so I don't know what to make of Tiger & Dragon... and this story shall also be told... in another thread perhaps :pity:
    Here is a list of some Kenpo schools in Florida

http://www.tracyskarate.com/USstudio...DASTATEMST.htm

Maybe there is a school near you
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 1011 LastLast