Posted On:
    1/12/2006 7:20pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by colin_linz
    My apologies, but who is Chuck Liddel?

Liddel is the UFC Lightheavyweight Champion (205lbs). He's know specifically for having what Joe Rogan would refer to as "Dynamite" in his hands, and incidentally trained in Kempo and has a "Kempo" tattoo. His fight record can be found here:

http://www.sherdog.com/fightfinder/f...?fighterID=192

I believe that the board member omega knows him personally as they both are from SLO, Cali.

If you're complaining about Ke_po not being well represented in the UFC and you don't know who Chuck Liddel is you should probably shut the hell up.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    1/12/2006 7:23pm

supporting member
     Style: Fish Oil

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Da SHreDdA
    i refuse to bandwagon BJJ!!!!!!!!
    Yeah. The more obscure the style the less people will know of it. So that means the more effective it will be against more people because they won't know what the **** you are doing!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/12/2006 7:25pm

Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    lemme guess. brazillian jui jitsu? no thanks , im not hopping on the dick riding band wagon on that one....also you people act like every1 walking the earth is a martial artist, hell no, i wont be competing in MMA and if someone was to **** with me what i learn is fine, hell , my own skills are fine, and i refuse to bandwagon BJJ!!!!!!!!
    No rational person would get that from what I said. Watch the trolling: you might get banned.

It's not that everyone walking around with bad intentions is a MA'ist, it's that there is a best way to train for such people and compliancy ain't it (oddly enough it's also the best way to train for athletic events). Most BB's trained with such methods will get hurt in an attack-- even for all the babble about how they "train with a self-defense emphasis" or "for the street, not sport".

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/12/2006 7:28pm

Style: whatever it takes

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BumFu
    No rational person would get that from what I said. Watch the trolling: you might get banned.

It's not that everyone walking around with bad intentions is a MA'ist, it's that there is a best way to train for such people and compliancy ain't it (oddly enough it's also the best way to train for athletic events). Most BB's trained with such methods will get hurt in an attack-- even for all the babble about how they "train with a self-defense emphasis" or "for the street, not sport".
    i think its frustrating to me that everyone on here shits on kenpo, this is why i never got back into martial arts and makes me want to hit a martial artist in the head with a bat, and im sick of hearing about BJJ!!!!!!! for me this is all new and to see so many conflicting stories and opinions pisses me off!

Welterweight

Posted On:
    1/12/2006 7:32pm

supporting member
     Style: Fish Oil

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i think its frustrating to me that everyone on here shits on kenpo, this is why i never got back into martial arts and makes me want to hit a martial artist in the head with a bat, and im sick of hearing about BJJ!!!!!!! for me this is all new and to see so many conflicting stories and opinions pisses me off!
    It isn't like a style has a formula that is exactly the same everywhere. It isn't an equation that you can plug in and have it be the same everywhere.

That is why you are getting a lot of conflicting stories and info. People have different experiences with DIFFERENT ke?po dojos. Which are, guess what, DIFFERENT from eachother.

Did you know people are different from eachother and do things differently? I know it is hard to accept but it is true!

Posted On:
    1/12/2006 7:33pm

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

MartialArtsPlanet.com

Go there. Be happy.

This site is not for you.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/12/2006 7:45pm

Style: whatever it takes

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Phrost
    MartialArtsPlanet.com

Go there. Be happy.

This site is not for you.
    :XXbirdman

Posted On:
    1/12/2006 7:54pm

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Back at ya!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/12/2006 8:04pm

Style: Shorininji Kempo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BumFu
    Now you're just trolling, but what the hell. I've never called it trash and for the slapping charge all I can say is that some of the hardest hits I've ever taken were from kenpo stylists.

Kenpo guys OFTEN develop such a "12 hit per second" fetish that they'll start to sacrifice power by minimizing the depth of their strike: this leads to kenpo's reputation as a slap art.

Forms, sets and compliant techniques are the general training methods. There is a good case to be made that these are counter-productive for a fighter. Often this shortcoming can be compensated for with lots of hard sparring (no secret there). The kindest thing you can say about such methods is that you don't need them to be a competent fighter, but you can't learn to fight using them exclusively.

Hard-style karate blocks are also a staple of any kenpo system and are never used in sparring. That's why if you go into a boxing/mma/kickboxing/muay thai school you just won't learn it; you'll learn more effective ways of defending.

Kenpo also makes some tactical errors because of it's compliant training methods. One is blocking low kicks with your hands-- that's a real no-no and any kickboxer/thai boxer can attest to that.

Point fighting is very common with kenpo schools. Few kenpo stylists compete in kick-boxing/mma events and where they do the results generally aren't very favorable. There is also the embarrassing excuse that if it were the street they'd just kill those pathetic sport-fighters.

When you watch good kenpo fighters they really move more like kick-boxers than anything else; there is little resemblance between the training techniques and how they fight.

The answer whether a certain style/school is right for you is "it depends". However, everything always depends on many variables-- the problem with this is that we end up overlooking solid rules of thumb. And the general rule of thumb is you'd be much better off learning a fully alive system than kenpo.
    I would have to disagree with most of your statements. Shorinji Kempo uses very few patterns and what patterns they have are very simple, they are only methods of learning/practising different ways of moving and dodging.

While we do use combinations they are only used to open targets up for a good strike, lock, throw or choke. It could be true to that we use compliance as a training tool when first learning a technique, but there is also plenty of non compliance practice in the form of randori. This is where you learn to apply the techniques once you have learnt them. It can be done a number of different ways, but at a senior level it is full contact, open techniques, and open targets. There are no rounds and the match goes until the sensei says to stop, usually when one participant has completely overpowered the other and they can no longer defend themselves. Even pair form sets have an element of unpredictability. While the attack is known and the defence is known we use ran han ko at the end. This results in the initial attacker countering your defence and attacking how they like and you defending how you like.

We block completely different to Karate, they are not power blocks used to stop attacks, but rather covers that divert the attack. In the west we generally translate uke as block, but a more correct translation would be catch or intercept. We use legs as well as arms to block, and just about all the blocking incorporates dodging of some description.

I donít know what point fighting is, but I donít think we do it. We donít compete as a rule as it was against Doshin Soís philosophy. Although there has been some exceptions to this. Randori competitions are popular among the Japanese university clubs, but generally the older kenshi have a disdain for competition, as they believe it is egotistical and has no real value. This shouldnít be taken that they canít fight though. It was because of these guys and Doshin So skill at fighting that they won the street battles with the often armed Yakuza of Todotsu. This was why the Governor provided Doshin So the land to build his temple on after WW2. Maybe some Uni students might move into the UFC type competitions in the future, as they seem to like competing, but they will stilll need permission from their branch master first.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/12/2006 8:11pm

Style: Shorininji Kempo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    OMega has fucked up and accidentally edited this post.

Going to torture myself now..... :smiley:
    Last edited by Omega; 1/12/2006 8:44pm at .
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 891011 LastLast