Posted On:
    1/12/2006 6:10pm

supporting member
     Style: Tao Ga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Da SHreDdA
    i just read a FAQ on kenpo

what i dont get is why people on this site think kenpo is trash, they call it slap fighting and that simply is not the case, they train for hand speed and accuracy, to where you get at least 10 hits in , in about 3 seconds....like to see a bjj guy get monkey and jump on someones back when he is getting knocked out
    Speaking of Jeff Speakman. . .
    don't forget to ask CLYDE about him when you pm.
    He both knows him, and knows of him. The truth.

`~/

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/12/2006 6:43pm

Style: She Sho Nah Fen

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Im so good at kempo, when I do it, I pee a lil. I heard its ok to pee, but just a lil

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/12/2006 6:49pm

Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

what i dont get is why people on this site think kenpo is trash, they call it slap fighting ....like to see a bjj guy get monkey and jump on someones back when he is getting knocked out
    Now you're just trolling, but what the hell. I've never called it trash and for the slapping charge all I can say is that some of the hardest hits I've ever taken were from kenpo stylists.

Kenpo guys OFTEN develop such a "12 hit per second" fetish that they'll start to sacrifice power by minimizing the depth of their strike: this leads to kenpo's reputation as a slap art.

Forms, sets and compliant techniques are the general training methods. There is a good case to be made that these are counter-productive for a fighter. Often this shortcoming can be compensated for with lots of hard sparring (no secret there). The kindest thing you can say about such methods is that you don't need them to be a competent fighter, but you can't learn to fight using them exclusively.

Hard-style karate blocks are also a staple of any kenpo system and are never used in sparring. That's why if you go into a boxing/mma/kickboxing/muay thai school you just won't learn it; you'll learn more effective ways of defending.

Kenpo also makes some tactical errors because of it's compliant training methods. One is blocking low kicks with your hands-- that's a real no-no and any kickboxer/thai boxer can attest to that.

Point fighting is very common with kenpo schools. Few kenpo stylists compete in kick-boxing/mma events and where they do the results generally aren't very favorable. There is also the embarrassing excuse that if it were the street they'd just kill those pathetic sport-fighters.

When you watch good kenpo fighters they really move more like kick-boxers than anything else; there is little resemblance between the training techniques and how they fight.

The answer whether a certain style/school is right for you is "it depends". However, everything always depends on many variables-- the problem with this is that we end up overlooking solid rules of thumb. And the general rule of thumb is you'd be much better off learning a fully alive system than kenpo.
    Last edited by BumFu; 1/12/2006 6:52pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/12/2006 6:57pm

Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Meex
    Speaking of Jeff Speakman. . .
    don't forget to ask CLYDE about him when you pm.
    He both knows him, and knows of him. The truth.

`~/
    Is there a story here we should know?

The adage that there are two sides to every story applies here. If Speakman is going to be disparaged he deserves the opportunity to reply.

My guns bigger than Scrapper's!

Posted On:
    1/12/2006 6:59pm

supporting member
     Style: Kakutogi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Satori
    The entire reason Kempo has a bad rap on Bullshido.
    No its not.
    Its because of shitty training. Yes Clyde as displayed good Kempo skills but many more have displayed POOR ones. And if you paid attention it has been brought up several times that CHUCK LIDDELL has a Kempo background. So please stop the ass speak.
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    1/12/2006 7:01pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

what i dont get is why people on this site think kenpo is trash, they call it slap fighting and that simply is not the case, they train for hand speed and accuracy, to where you get at least 10 hits in , in about 3 seconds....
    You are beyond hope. I already told you
    • that speed doesn't necessarily mean power, and
    • to go watch Vito Belfort to see what speed and power is, and
    • that the clip you mentioned doesn't show anything against a fully resisting, attacking opponent

like to see a bjj guy get monkey and jump on someones back when he is getting knocked out
    no fully resisting, attacking opponent is going to get KO with the fast punches shown in the clip. Maybe Stephen Hawking, my three year old nephew or my poor ol'octogenarian grandma, but that's about it.

Just go to the class and make up your opinion of things. AND go watch Vito Belfort in action once and for all before you say anything else about cool looking combos and 10 hits per 3 seconds!!!!! Gezzz.

Actually, do this: take the kenpo class for say 6 months, then take 6 months of boxing or Muay Thai/kickboxing. If you can truly say the fighting skills you got in the kenpo class are comparable to the skills you get in boxing or MT/kickboxing, then you are lucky, and you are in a good kenpo school. Otherwise... that's for you to decide.

Simple test, right? You have to put a few months in it to know the truth???? Well, life sucks, dude. People here can tell you their version of things, but only you can know the truth of things pertaining to you, and that takes time and sweat.

Good luck... and watch fucking Vitor Belfort before you say anything about lightning-fast combos!!!!
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/12/2006 7:04pm

Style: whatever it takes

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BumFu
    Now you're just trolling, but what the hell. I've never called it trash and for the slapping charge all I can say is that some of the hardest hits I've ever taken were from kenpo stylists.

Kenpo guys OFTEN develop such a "12 hit per second" fetish that they'll start to sacrifice power by minimizing the depth of their strike: this leads to kenpo's reputation as a slap art.

Forms, sets and compliant techniques are the general training methods. There is a good case to be made that these are counter-productive for a fighter. Often this shortcoming can be compensated for with lots of hard sparring (no secret there). The kindest thing you can say about such methods is that you don't need them to be a competent fighter, but you can't learn to fight using them exclusively.

Hard-style karate blocks are also a staple of any kenpo system and are never used in sparring. That's why if you go into a boxing/mma/kickboxing/muay thai school you just won't learn it; you'll learn more effective ways of defending.

Kenpo also makes some tactical errors because of it's compliant training methods. One is blocking low kicks with your hands-- that's a real no-no and any kickboxer/thai boxer can attest to that.

Point fighting is very common with kenpo schools. Few kenpo stylists compete in kick-boxing/mma events and where they do the results generally aren't very favorable. There is also the embarrassing excuse that if it were the street they'd just kill those pathetic sport-fighters.

When you watch good kenpo fighters they really move more like kick-boxers than anything else; there is little resemblance between the training techniques and how they fight.

The answer whether a certain style/school is right for you is "it depends". However, everything always depends on many variables-- the problem with this is that we end up overlooking solid rules of thumb. And the general rule of thumb is you'd be much better off learning a fully alive system than kenpo.
    lemme guess. brazillian jui jitsu? no thanks , im not hopping on the dick riding band wagon on that one....also you people act like every1 walking the earth is a martial artist, hell no, i wont be competing in MMA and if someone was to **** with me what i learn is fine, hell , my own skills are fine, and i refuse to bandwagon BJJ!!!!!!!!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/12/2006 7:09pm

Style: Shorininji Kempo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by QuickJab
    You want to learn Kem/nPo cause of Jeff Speakman? If your a kid thats cool. If your over the age of 14, thats retarded. I wanted to box cause of Rocky, but I was a little kid.

Fast chain punching looks cool, but its a technique that only works:
    A) Cause your opponent completely sucks
    B) You caught you opponent with a good shot, hurt him semi-badly and chain punch to overwhelm him while he's hurt.

A big problem with this kinda punching is if you don't KO him,the ref doesn't stop it (assuming its not a street fight) or you don't use it to set up some big KO shots, you will end up tiring yourself out.
    I really donít know much about Speakman, I think I saw that movie many years ago. The reality is rightly or wrongly that movies do influence peopleís discissions. Look how popular Kung Fu became after Bruce Lee became a star. It is true that movies have no relationship with effective martial arts, but I donít see anything wrong with being inspired by them.

Isnít the whole idea of combinations to open up a target for strong attack?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/12/2006 7:10pm

Style: Shorininji Kempo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Meex
    Chuck Liddel's trainer, John Hackleman, has hawaiian Kempo, Kajukenbo lineages. . .
    not too sure what Chuck himself is actually made of/claiming.
    omega might know.

`~/
    My apologies, but who is Chuck Liddel?

Knee + Head = Black Eye * 2

Posted On:
    1/12/2006 7:16pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    lemme guess. brazillian jui jitsu? no thanks , im not hopping on the dick riding band wagon on that one....also you people act like every1 walking the earth is a martial artist, hell no, i wont be competing in MMA and if someone was to **** with me what i learn is fine, hell , my own skills are fine, and i refuse to bandwagon BJJ!!!!!!!!
    If you don't want to roll around on the ground like teh f4gz0rs you could take Muay Thai, Kickboxing, or Western Boxing. You're virtually guaranteed to find a good school if you train at a place that teaches one of those arts.
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 78910 ... LastLast