Posted On:
    1/12/2006 11:39am

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Da SHreDdA
    jeff speakman makes that **** look real in the perfect weapon
    Dude, listen to Asia. A movie is just a movie. Yeah, Speakman looks cool and ****, and I don't doubt his abilities, but fiction is fiction. And even when it's fiction, I'm pretty sure Speakman didn't get that agility in a couple of days, nor he got in Kenpo to look cool. If you are going to a MA school to learn cool looking ****, beware dude. It may look cool, but you should go there to learn how to fight and defend yourself, not to look inefectively cool, find nirvana, be one with nature, wolves and flying eagles (like Seagal in 'On Deadly Ground'), become a lava-jumping jedi, or grow adamantium claws out of your knuckles. :5wolverin
    after reading this im confident in the school i went to, for 25$ they give you the black gi and start off with i think 2 free lessons...also there is no contracts just 100$ to register and 85 a month due on the 1st of each month, they were big into letting it known they were trained under nick cerio and they take that very serious to keep that name alive....and everything u mentioned as far as fitness was there, i seen the ab work and the exercise portion and the combo and throws and some other ****, it was a adult beginner class after all.....
    Well, if they make you work out, that's a good sign. Plus, the school seems to have a decent, respectful payment arrangement... but... the $1 kazillion dollar question is whether there is sparring or not. And btw, sparring is not doing drills.

If this school doesn't sparr AND YOU ARE OK with it, then go for it - the fitness part is already worth it. Whatever makes you happy, but beware that you won't learn how to fight or defend yourself if you don't sparr.

More important than learning cool-looking **** is to learn how to take a blow without flinching like a chicken while forgetting everything you learned in the process. Sparring gives you that.

... speaking of cool ass combos...
    also isnt kenpo full of the cool ass combos that was seen in perfect weapon??
    Hollywood =/= life, fiction =/= reality

Dude, you gotta separate real expectations from what you see in movies. Otherwise, be prepared to be ripped off until your wallet bleeds like a virgin in a sacrificial stone. Maybe this school won't rip you off, but others will. Yeah, "The Perfect Weapon" is a cool ass movie, and so "House of Flying Daggers", "Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith".

This is what happen to people who get their facts from movies:

Yeah, it is said that Kenpo is the art of overkill (my instructor said that a couple of times), but even then as a n00b then (and as a n00b now), I take that with a grain of salt. In everything you do, you need to be pragmatic. And you need to know why you get into things.

It's your time and money that you are going to spend in a martial arts class. If you are happy with a class as it is, even if it doesn't teach you real skills with sparring, then more power to you. Better to do something that makes you happy than being a sour couch potatoe. Hobbies and things like that have a possitive contribution to our lives...

BUT...

Just know that you won't be doing all the cool ass moves Speakman, Tony Jaa, and Jet Li do on-screen. Heck, maybe after a few years you could do some of them ALONE, but never, never expect to do that **** on a real confrontation. That's fantasy. Fantasy can get you ass-raped. :viking:

Go to the class, and see what you like. In the meantime, keep coming to this site and see what people talk about. Most of these dudes know their **** and have live experience in using those skills. Go to the class, have fun, and be pragmatic and keep you eyes open. :cachas:
    Quote Originally Posted by Boyd
    St. Da SHreDda, if you want to learn combos, take boxing. If you want to learn throws, take Judo. If you want to take a traditional martial art, take Kyokushin karate. With Kempo, it may be good, it may be bad, but if you're just now learning movies aren't real, you may be the prime target for some serious bullshido.
    Listen to what this guy is saying, and you will see the light.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/12/2006 1:35pm

Style: whatever it takes

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    http://youtube.com/w/five-swords?v=...0U&search=kenpo

this is just one of many vids ive seen on the net for kenpo combos, these are quick and just amazing, there are so many more and they are lightning quick, no one so far has responded to this video which is kinda strange....

also these is sparring , for the intermediate classes and advanced...

all the info so far has been useful but what i just typed right here i want answers to...

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    1/12/2006 1:49pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Vid clip is unavailable for the time being (or so says the website). Also, as you go through this site, you'll see and read that there is more to combos and speed to martial arts. Sometimes, complex and fast =/= better or effective.

Familiarize yourself with the "Occam's Razor" principle. It holds true in everything, including Martial Arts.

Since the school has sparring, then the better. Go for it, and let people know of your impressions about the school.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/12/2006 2:13pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    http://youtube.com/w/five-swords?v=X...U&search=kenpo

try this link...

also why the hell are people saying kenpo is ****....wtf is that about?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/12/2006 2:31pm

Style: She Sho Nah Fen

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I would like to classify that keMpo and keNpo are not the same

My guns bigger than Scrapper's!

Posted On:
    1/12/2006 2:50pm

supporting member
     Style: Kakutogi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by colin_linz
    Kenpo is not the accepted romanisation these days. I believe there was an older romanisation system where it was written as kenpo, but this was based on poor listening to the native pronunciation. It is true that written Japanese doesn’t differentiate between n and m, but when spoken there will be different pronunciation depending on the grammatical context.
    Yes it is because there are still more than one systems of romaji used now. There is not standard.
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh

My guns bigger than Scrapper's!

Posted On:
    1/12/2006 2:55pm

supporting member
     Style: Kakutogi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by me4life69
    I would like to classify that keMpo and keNpo are not the same
    And you would be WRONG.

The are both the same when romanizing the kanji for Fist (kobushi) and Principle/law (Ho) depending on the system you use.
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/12/2006 3:06pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    http://youtube.com/w/five-swords?v=X...U&search=kenpo

try this link...

still need this answered,plus watch the vid

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    1/12/2006 3:15pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Pretty fast hands, but the question is, how much power those strikes have? And no one is going to stay idle with his feet glued to the ground when receiving those punches (as in the clip) , at least no one with some decent training. Find a clip of somebody doing this effectively and successfully against a COMPETENT, FULLY RESISTING, ATTACKING OPPONENT, and then we got something cooking.

Ever seen Vito Belfort in action? You should. That'll give you a perspective of somebody with fast and nastily effective hands and knees. Don't let fancy clips cloud your judgement. Everything has to be proven against a fully resisting opponent that is fully committed to 1) defend himself and 2) do nasty **** to you.

This clip, however impressive, does not show that. Maybe the guy in the clip can actually use those fast combos in a real case scenario, but without further evidence, the clip on itself is just athletic eye-candy.

Stick around the site, read through the forums and articles. A lot of drama, but a lot of factual, tried and true martial arts stuff in them.
    As a fighting art, compared to other arts like Muay Thai or Kyokushin, on average, it is shitty. This varies from school to school, but most schools are shitty, or so is the reasoning/anectodal evidence.

Other people with FAR, FAR, FAR, FAR more knowledge can give a more educated opinion on that.

As for you, just go the class, see it for what it is, enjoy it if you do, and construct your own opinion. There is no escaping from that one. Unfortunately, one cannot create an opinion of a MA school vicariously. You can get some advice on what to do (or not to do), but in the end, you just have to go and try and see for yourself... just like dating :5zombie:

Posted On:
    1/12/2006 3:16pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    People say Ke?po is **** because they either jump on the bandwagon opinion of others, they saw a poor instructor, or they studied under a poor instructor.

Simple as that.

The sad thing is that while most disillusioned students that studied under poor instructors are usually more than willing to experience quality instruction with an open mind, the other group of bandwagon circle-jerkers tend to purposely turn a blind eye and deaf ear to quality practitioners and hardcore schools.

Instructors like Clyde routinely show up at throwdowns and beat people up, and Ke?po schools with full-contact sparring and cross training have been found...but the idea of something other than <insert flamer's style> providing quality instruction is...unfathomable.

Form your own opinion. Go there, study, work hard, don't sign a contract, then come back and give your analysis.
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 5678 ... LastLast