Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 123 4567 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    1/11/2006 8:09pm

Style: Sanda, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Da SHreDdA
    the 1st 2 questions u asked sound pretty harsh, is kenpo shitty????
    jeff speakman makes that **** look real in the perfect weapon
    Kenpo is definitely not the worst MA one could choose. However, if you're looking to be a lean mean fighting machine, lots of arts would make better choices. No offense to Kenpo, it's just quality control is a lot better for arts like Muay Thai for instance.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/11/2006 8:17pm

Style: Shorininji Kempo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by LORD ASIA
    Naw not really. Both KEMPO and KENPO are both correct romanizations just two different systems being used.

PM the Bullshido member CLYDE he's really in the know in the world of Kempo.
    Kenpo is not the accepted romanisation these days. I believe there was an older romanisation system where it was written as kenpo, but this was based on poor listening to the native pronunciation. It is true that written Japanese doesn’t differentiate between n and m, but when spoken there will be different pronunciation depending on the grammatical context.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/11/2006 8:20pm

Style: whatever it takes

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by elnyka
    $85 is not a lot per say, but what do you get for $85 a month? Most schools charge like $100 a month, and they give you between 2 and 3 classes per week. Anything above $120 should give you no less than 3 classes per week. Anything with a down payment over $150 should include uniform or equipment, and anything over $150 a month should give you unlimited access!!!!!! Anything less is :pottytrai

Ask them upfront if you have to pay more as you become more proficient in the art. Some schools may tell you that you should train only 2 classes a week so that you don't over train, and that "you can train more later when you feel more comfortable/better shape". The caveat is that when you tell them you are ready to train more often, then they tell you that you have to pay more or sign another contract (happened to me.) :5hot:

Be wary of contracts. Don't sign any contract over 6 months. If you have to sign a contract, try to negotiate if you can get a contract of 3 months. Also, ask specifically on what terms you can cancel your contract, and ask them to give you the choice of cancelling if you are not satisfied with the instruction, or the instruction doesn't "fullfill" you.

My bet is that at $85 a month, you should be able to train at least twice a week. Actually, it's a pretty cheap price compared to what's out there (specially BJJ schools). Do you have to buy your uniform on top of the monthly and the $100 registration fee, or is it included in the registration?

At the end of the day, for that price, just give it a try. Ask them if they can give you a free class w/o obligations. Since they are asking you to pay $100 to register, probably they have a contract in place. If they don't offer a free class, be wary. People are nice, but also bizness is bizness.

Also, if you are looking to get into MA to get in better shape, I'd suggest a gym instead (but that's my personal opinion.) If not, at the very least, the class should make you sweat. That kempo class should not only teach you forms, but it should help you improve your physical fitness. If at the end of the class you don't feel like you worked out, then don't waste your money in it.

I'm not sure how effective kempo is if you really train in it seriously- I took it for two months, twice a week a long time ago in my college years. What I liked about that class was the instructor made us sweat. He forced us to work out our abs and lower backs, and conditioned our abs by hitting in them. At first, we almost puked what we had for breakfast, but after a few classes, we were able to take it (so those things demonstrated an improvement in fitness.)

Secondly, he not only showed us forms and cool-looking ****, but he also showed us basic boxing combinations, some work with focus mits, how to keep our chin tucked, shoulders up... things like that. He never let us n00bs sparr fully (only the students at the night classes could), but we did learn a few practical things from boxing. Things like these are what you should look for, things that push you physically, things that seem practical... not having those is a big red flag. :new_cussi

Last, but not least, there should be sparring, live sparring. Not the "light, safe sparring" as you see some schools advertise. People should go at it. If you are happy with light sparring, and if the people are nice enough to socialize with, then more power to you, but be aware that you will not be learning any effective form of MA or self-defense. Some pretty ****, and no more than that :gaygay:

At the end of the day, unless you find a good no bullshit MT/KK/Judo/BJJ school, you may have to try one or two different things and schools until you find something you don't mind paying for month by month, and that you actually look forward to go even when you are tired. Kinda like dating, with expenses and bruises. :viking:

So, just give it a try, and see if you like it, and try to pay as little as possible before you can determine you want to do this for a few months to a lifetime.
    after reading this im confident in the school i went to, for 25$ they give you the black gi and start off with i think 2 free lessons...also there is no contracts just 100$ to register and 85 a month due on the 1st of each month, they were big into letting it known they were trained under nick cerio and they take that very serious to keep that name alive....and everything u mentioned as far as fitness was there, i seen the ab work and the exercise portion and the combo and throws and some other ****, it was a adult beginner class after all.....

also isnt kenpo full of the cool ass combos that was seen in perfect weapon??

the lighting fast combos that were shown? i read kenpo is art of overkill for its combos that have multiple hits at a fast rate....heres a vid i found
    guy doing the "5 swords"

http://youtube.com/w/five-swords?v=X...U&search=kenpo

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/11/2006 8:25pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Boyd
    Do you honestly want to waste your time with Kempo?
    That seems a pretty broad statement. Kempo has a number of totally separate styles that teach a variety of subject matter in different manners, not all are American kempo related.

OFFICIAL Mayor of Cwcville

Posted On:
    1/12/2006 1:23am

supporting member
     Style: Electricity, Speed

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I know the politically correct thing to do here is say "Well, go check out the school in person and ask the instructor if they train free motion/clinch/ground and hope to get something besides blank stares", and I also am sure that at least one of the 50 martial arts Omega/Asia has mastered is a Ke?po variant. I think you all lack perspective on this issue. This guy is looking to do "cool ass combos" from The Perfect Weapon. Do you really think he has the critical reasoning skills to walk into a martial arts school and determine whether or not it's the real Kempo? Do you really think he's not wearing rubber pants?

Mr. Da SHreDdA, I regret to inform you that Kempo is, in fact, shitty. Yes Omega/Asia, I'm sure you found a good school and can beat people up with it. That's wonderful. You also have decades of experience behind you and the critical eye necessary for separating the wheat from the chaff. In the case of Dr. Da SHreDda, however, I could post this

And he would never have a clue as to why this is hilarious enough to take framegrabs from.

St. Da SHreDda, if you want to learn combos, take boxing. If you want to learn throws, take Judo. If you want to take a traditional martial art, take Kyokushin karate. With Kempo, it may be good, it may be bad, but if you're just now learning movies aren't real, you may be the prime target for some serious bullshido.

Do you ever watch the UFC? Chuck Liddel is pretty much Kempo's golden boy in the sport of mixed martial arts, but rest assured if you watch him fight, it's not with the 40-hit combos you see in demonstrations.
    Captain's Log: Just a little update for all my TRUE and HONEST friends out there:

1) I am STRAIGHT! I am STRAIGHT! Get it through your thick skulls, numbskulls!

2) My name is not Ian Brandon Something.

3) Kacey is coming with me now. I have stolen her from the other Christian Weston Chandler.

REMINDER: I am still the one and only true creator of sonichu and rosechu electric hedgehog pokemon

Posted On:
    1/12/2006 7:13am

Join us... or die
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BumFu
    There is also a real "street" mentality that often justifies not actually sparring in class; afterall, they're not training for the ring are they?
    That´s the thing that bgs me about most traditional MAs, the "too deadly to spar" mentality.

I beleive ke_po would be a cool stand up art if most schools, at least those I´ve seen, wouldn´t have such mentality.

I´ve been checking gyms lately, and whenever I hear the words "we have a self-defence approach" I run away.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/12/2006 7:30am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Don't American forms of Kempo spar?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/12/2006 8:40am

Style: pentjak silat/ kali

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    also isnt kenpo full of the cool ass combos that was seen in perfect weapon??

If that vid of the late/ great Mr. Cerio in action is any indication of the "cool ass combos" that most of his system's techniques are based on, prepare to get killed if you ever attempt that crap on "th3 str33t".

RE: the vid. Nick had quite a lucrative business here in RI for a LOOONG time, but after he died it seems like a few of his schools closed down. Anyone notice how obnoxious his accent was? Oy vey....

Why do I think I smell a troll? :viking:

Administrator

Posted On:
    1/12/2006 9:16am

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by colin_linz
    Don't American forms of Kempo spar?
    Do Aussies look like their talking from their ass?

Answer: Yes.

Dude, think before you ask these questions. Now put you thumb back in your mouth and let the adults talk.

Ciero's kenpo spawned some interesting lineages here the state. Aside from one I tend to turn my nose up at a lot of his stuff. Sort of 'nothing new' disdain if you will.

Patfromlogan, Meex, and Clyde could probably give you the best insight on it. Like I said before if you haven't taken the time to actually just go to the school do some training and see if it encompasses you needs and wants than you're just wasting your time asking about this ****. Instructors are different no matter what system they teach. Come back with a report.

Posted On:
    1/12/2006 10:21am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Colin Linz is a veteran from other martial arts forums, and he's consistently proven himself to be a respectful, knowledgeable, and intelligent practitioner. He's also one of the few Shorinji Kempo practitioners that bother to participate in internet forums in an attempt to inform others about his art.

So leave him the **** alone, unless you want to drive away every single "Forum Immigrant" that comes over here with the hope of participating in productive, uncensored discussion.

Bah, don't mind me. I'm just pissed that you aren't coming to the throwdown this saturday.
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 123 4567 ... LastLast