Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    1/31/2006 6:12am

Style: Kickboxing/Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by colin_linz
    I would have to disagree with most of your statements. Shorinji Kempo uses very few patterns and what patterns they have are very simple, they are only methods of learning/practising different ways of moving and dodging. . .
    Shorinji Kempo doesn't have anything to do with the Hawaiian-American lineage of ken/mpo, though, so they aren't really talking about you (or me; my kenpo background is a karate offshoot).

One of the more irritating elements of t3h intarnets is that all the ke?pos are usually lobbed together, whether they're Shorinji, Kempo, Ke?po the love child of Hawaiian karate, kung fu, jujutsu, lua and whatever, or karate style that use Kenpo or Kempo in their name.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/01/2006 11:28pm

Style: Shorininji Kempo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by eyebeams
    Shorinji Kempo doesn't have anything to do with the Hawaiian-American lineage of ken/mpo, though, so they aren't really talking about you (or me; my kenpo background is a karate offshoot).

One of the more irritating elements of t3h intarnets is that all the ke?pos are usually lobbed together, whether they're Shorinji, Kempo, Ke?po the love child of Hawaiian karate, kung fu, jujutsu, lua and whatever, or karate style that use Kenpo or Kempo in their name.
    Thatís what I was trying to get across. Generalisations just donít cut it, people need to define what it is they talking about. These discussions can be read and participated in by anyone. Just because in America many people believe that there are no other forms of kempo/kenpo other than the various American lineages, doesnít mean people else where have the same ideas. I have seen very few American schools in Australia, so when someone discuses kempo they are not my first thought of reference.

Just to clarify, this doesnít mean that I believe American systems are crap. From my limited understanding that would be just too big a generalisation. Even just the American styles seem to be very divers, too divers to make sweeping statements one way or the other. Iím sure there are good styles and not so good styles, just like Iím sure there are good dojoís and not so good dojoís.

When taking up a martial art people have a number of individual goals and needs. If the art meets their individual needs, they enjoy the training, the fees are within their budget and the training locality is convenient, then they have found the right martial art for themselves at that point in time.
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011