Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/13/2006 8:24pm

Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Clyde
    OK, you're just another misinformed fucktard troll on the east coast, and you guys are all over the place over there for some reason.

Larry doesn't do no touch knockouts, never has, and we always get a giggle when we talk about Steve Stewart (who BTW, Frank Trejo is training).

Have a shitty day

Clyde
    Larry clearly speaks of performing a no touch knock down in that JOURNEY book. WHen I borrowed a copy I was astonished he would make such an outrageous claim and read it again just to ensure I hadn't misinterpreted anything.
    Last edited by BumFu; 1/14/2006 6:27pm at . Reason: Wanted to let sleeping dogs lie.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/14/2006 4:18am

Style: Shorininji Kempo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by omega
    I hate tooting my own horn but what I said is essentially true, it doesn't matter what style or system you train in if it doesn't offer what you want it's useless to you. If you want a fucking effective fighting system then you train with somebody who likes to train people how to fight. Gee, that's basically what muay thai, mma and boxing gyms do. If you want to compete in grappling then you go to a grappling school. Should be obvious but apparently not to most of you fucks. The guy wanted to know what we thought of Cerio Kempo not Kempo as a whole because as our Aussie friend has been trying to tell you fucks it's about as generalized as saying kung-fu or karate.
    Totally in agreement, and apologies for my lack of humour earlier.

Anything you enjoy doing and meets your needs has to the right decision for you. Martial arts cover a whole range of training philosophies. The Japanese break them up and define them as bujutsu, budo or kakutougi, they all cover different philosophies of training but we would just call them martial arts. So wether it is application based, pathway based or sports based it doesnít matter as long as itís the right one for you.

Enforcer of Northeast Anti-Silliness Department Inc.

Posted On:
    1/20/2006 1:00am

supporting member
     Style: Kaju, BJJ, Judo, Kempo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Da SHreDdA
    i think its frustrating to me that everyone on here shits on kenpo, this is why i never got back into martial arts and makes me want to hit a martial artist in the head with a bat, and im sick of hearing about BJJ!!!!!!! for me this is all new and to see so many conflicting stories and opinions pisses me off!
    This is why so many say Kempo sucks: http://youtube.com/w/Royler-Gracie-v...g&search=kempo

Lack of proper groundfight training leaves such a giant vulnerability you could drive a truck through it. But as someone said back there, there's some kempo schools that have sparring/alive fighting very similar to kickboxing, and that seems to be the route my school is evolving into.

Posted On:
    1/20/2006 1:22am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Here's another example http://youtube.com/w/Cory-vs-Cameron...M&search=kenpo

Not nearly enough "real fighting" against a resisting partner is utilized in most schools so what is left are skittish students when in real encounters that don't follow through with those flurries. I can attest first hand that those flurries do very well work in an efficient manner, but don't expect to just walk up to someone and do that. Like all hand techniques one must first close the gap between his opponent to be within striking range, and then one way or another get him to drop his guard. Experienced boxers will give you a hell of a hard time trying to do nearly anything that complicated or flashy....

....on a side note, am I talking to no-one, because I'm not sure if that kid (Shredda) got banned.

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    1/24/2006 2:17pm

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushinkai / Kajukenbo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The last Kempo workout I had was Thursday in Kailua, HI, and we spent a little time on warmups (mostly jump rope, barf), then 1/2 hour on standup drills - the usual kick punch in the air, 1/2 hour on sd drills - and this varied from 0 to 100 % resistance depending on who was your partner, and 1/2 hour ground drills (my partner being lg/strong, I broke or tapped fast) on the cement floor. They have mats, just didn't bother using them as we weren't doing throws, I'd guess. I didn't ask. I'd bet I would have gotten a reply that would have mentioned sd occurs off the mats, get used to it.

For me it was good training, but if it was the only stuff they did every lesson, or if it was all I had to base the system on, it would have problems. But they also usually do shrimping and bjj sweeps as part of the warmup going across the room, use focus pads a lot for striking drills, and spar hard. Their attitude is that sparring teaches timing and distancing, but sd is a whole other ball game. I did watch a brown take on four bbs sparring standup til he was kinda purple looking. He was training for a test so they amped it up a notch.
    "Preparing mentally, the most important thing is, if you aren't doing it for the love of it, then don't do it." - Benny Urquidez

Sexiest Punching Bag Alive

Posted On:
    1/25/2006 2:26pm

Style: BJJ/Judo/Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by KempoFist
    This is why so many say Kempo sucks: http://youtube.com/w/Royler-Gracie-v...g&search=kempo

Lack of proper groundfight training leaves such a giant vulnerability you could drive a truck through it. But as someone said back there, there's some kempo schools that have sparring/alive fighting very similar to kickboxing, and that seems to be the route my school is evolving into.
    neat video, I've never seen that one before.

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    1/25/2006 2:30pm

supporting member
     Style: white boy jiujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Posted On:
    1/30/2006 3:40pm

Style: TKD, MT, KEMPO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just go to a boxing, Muay thai, Sanda, judo or BJJ school. Speaking first hand, kempo can get you into alot of trouble, unless your already tough. The techniques are cool, but their are a high proportion of BS artists in Kempo. Learn to punch, kick or throw or grapple for real, if you're young enough. If you just want a workout , period, that's ok, but there are better forms of exercise than doing "5 swords " and "dance of death" over and over. Don't get me started.

former Kempo brown belt.

Posted On:
    1/31/2006 1:11am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by new2bjj
    Just go to a boxing, Muay thai, Sanda, judo or BJJ school. Speaking first hand, kempo can get you into alot of trouble, unless your already tough. The techniques are cool, but their are a high proportion of BS artists in Kempo. Learn to punch, kick or throw or grapple for real, if you're young enough. If you just want a workout , period, that's ok, but there are better forms of exercise than doing "5 swords " and "dance of death" over and over. Don't get me started.

former Kempo brown belt.
    If you don't mind me asking who did you train under? Or at least which variant of the system? (ie: Parker, Villari, Godin, Cerio etc...)

Administrator

Posted On:
    1/31/2006 2:27am

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by new2bjj

former Kempo brown belt.
    hmmm, can't agree with you 100% there dude. Boxing and Judo can also be very limiting, the same with BJJ. It depends who your instructor is and what you get exposed to. We just had a BJJ purple belt come in from a different city. Great guy, tapped a lot of our lower belts but was extremely vunerable to leg locks which is strange in this day and age. What does this have to do with kempo? Remember it's usually the school you're exposed to. I dare you to go to 3 different ke?po schools of my choice and tell them they don't teach serious stand-up and you'll go home limping. Of course the arguement can be said that you'd be hard pressed to pick 3 BJJ, Sanda, or Muay Thai school that couldn't you decent fighting techniques.
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 11 LastLast