Veteran25000 Experience PointsRecommendation First Class

Posted On:
    1/10/2006 8:42pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: Jiu Jitsu | Knife

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Pistol Calibers

So I am looking into finally purchasing my own pistol. In the past I always have used a friends and now that I have a few dollars I would like to get my own.

I prefer a pistol over the rifle, and I prefer the semi automatic over the revolver.

Thinking back on what I have shot and what I am looking for I decided to go with a nice simple Glock Compact.

Which leaves the Glock 19,23 or 32.

That is a 9mm, .40 and .357 caliber respectively. I know the very basics on the difference, can someone more expirenced then me give me the difference in greater detail. Basically, I am looking mainly as velocity of the round, penetrating power and stopping power.

Any other suggestions are welcome with the exception of ones from anti-gun lunatics.

I am a living legend!

Achievements:
    Three FriendsRecommendation First Class50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteran

Posted On:
    1/10/2006 8:48pm

supporting member
     Style: Tatsumaki Senpuu Kyaku

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    S&W .357 Magnum with a 6" barrel is not only menacing but very awesome. Plus revolvers are just damn awesome.

But since you are looking for a Glock compact, I'd suggest the .40 as it's the middle of the roadish and good for overall. Not the greatest at anything but very good at everything.

Heel Hook Hunter

Achievements:

Posted On:
    1/10/2006 8:54pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Christmas Miracle
    But since you are looking for a Glock compact, I'd suggest the .40 as it's the middle of the roadish and good for overall. Not the greatest at anything but very good at everything.

That why I chose the Glock. I wanted a good all round gun that wouldn't cost me a fortune.

However, I am stuck on figuring out what caliber I want. What is the advantage of getting a .40 over a .357 or 9mm?

Da Komrads... Again you are MadPelvisOwn3d!

Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    1/10/2006 9:39pm

supporting member
     Style: Spetsnaz Shovel-Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Buy a Sig 229. Then you can use either the .40 or the .357 just by replacing the barrel. Best of both worlds.

.40's are better than 9mm in my opinion as the kick is similiar but the power is mo' betta.
    :icon_twis

To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence;
    Supreme excellence consists in breaking the enemy's resistance without spilling your Guinness.
    Sun "Fu Man JhooJits" Tzu, the Art of War & Guinness

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/10/2006 9:41pm

Style: BJJ/ Judo/ MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What ever you do be safe with the gun.

9mm is just a little bigger than a .22, it is also cheeper to shoot. .40's are fun, but I would perfer a .45. Never shot a .357.

Embarassing aspiring thugs since 1991

Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassVeteran5000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    1/10/2006 9:54pm

supporting member
     Style: bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Im in agreement with Red Elvis on this one.A sig is a fine weapon right out of the box and has some cool features. I had a p226 and that thing was sweet.They cost a little bit more but hey. You pay for quality.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/10/2006 11:54pm

Style: FMA & judo-ultra noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'd buy .357 for stopping power or if you aren't quite set on a compact glock you could always get a 1911 colt or ruger p90 as a good cheap .45 (I like the p90 though I hear the build quality is hit or miss) ... plus if you're thinking personal defense it might be good to invest in half decent ammo.

I personally loves teh ubar d34dly federal hydra-shok

unf.
    :XXbazooka

*edit* ... I guess for compact's sake make that a p97

One Ambulance, Eleven Cops...

Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    1/11/2006 12:04am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I dislike Glocks. If you haven't gone down to your local gun store and ask for a variety of guns to shoot, so you can decide on a purchase, you should.

The advantage to the 9mm is that it is the NATO round. Plenty of ammo to be found. It roughly translates down to a .380 caliber. I've been eyeballing the Walther P99 for a while now for a 9mm.

Goo luck.
    “We are surrounded by warships and don’t have time to talk. Please pray for us.” — One Somali Pirate.

Kenpo Instructor

Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience PointsRecommendation First Class

Posted On:
    1/11/2006 6:49am

supporting member
     Style: American Kenpo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Do some research before buying, there's nice guns out there that are reasonably priced but are recommended shooters. The Hi-Point http://www.mkssupply.com/ is a very inexpensive piece, but it's ugly and heavy for a polymer. Of all the reviews and posts I've read (over 300) about the weapon, only a few say it's bad, but that's typical of most guns.

The Glock Kaboom, do a Google search, may not be your best choice for the money.

Calibers, something that will do the job nicely, and why LEO's have gone to this particular round is not only recoil, but great stopping power, is the .40 S&W. I guess many districts had a problem with the 9mm not putting enough UMMPPPPHHH on it but they didn't want to go with the .45, they got the best of both in the .40. The FBI went to a 10mm at one time but most of their agents couldn't shoot it with any accuracy so they switched to the .40 S&W. I have a 9mm, but I also have 2 .40's, primarily because I want ammo to be plentiful in an emergency so having both calibers keeps me shooting from the local Walmart, which BTW, has Winchester White Box, 100rds (great range ammo), cheaper than anywhere I've seen, on and offline. Some guns, like the XD, have interchangeable barells for the .357 and .40.

BTW, the .380 is a 9mm short, and some say it's the smallest round you should use for Self Defense, though many carry KelTec .32 pocket pistols, they recommend going up to the .380 caliber P3AT as it's the same size gun. I've actually seen it called an exploding credit card.

The next thing you need to worry about is what type of ammo for the caliber of weapon you purchase. There's some exotic **** out there but the best ones ain't cheap. I carry Winchester SXT's in mine when not on the range, but there's HydraShock, Gold Spears, etc..

Good luck, be safe, and do plenty of research on the net to make an informed choice. Get something that you can buy parts and pieces for readily and not cost an arm and leg. Also make sure you get something with a good warranty in case you get a lemom, hence the reference to Hi Point up top, lifetime warranty no matter what.

Have a great Kenpo day

Clyde
    Last edited by Clyde; 1/11/2006 6:57am at .
    Saving Kenpo souls one at a time!

Put down your purse!

Speed is fine, but accuracy is final. Wyatt Earp, 1888

"For certain 'tis a shameful spite, and dreadful to the heart,
    For an Irishman to see a fight, and not be taking part."

--"How McPherson Held the Floor"

Heel Hook Hunter

Achievements:

Posted On:
    1/11/2006 8:32am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Elvis
    Buy a Sig 229. Then you can use either the .40 or the .357 just by replacing the barrel. Best of both worlds.

.40's are better than 9mm in my opinion as the kick is similiar but the power is mo' betta.

I did a search using Google-Sensei as that does seem like a pretty solid gun. I do like the option of switch the barrel. How difficult is it to switch the barrell ont hat pistol. I never shot it before. How much I am looking spend on this model? Its worth a look.
Page 1 of 5 1 2345 LastLast