Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Police Combative Training Academy

Anybody know anything about these guys?

GySgt. Hans Marrero (USMC Ret.)
    http://www.policecqb.com/

I searched the Bullshido forums for all the key words I could think of but nothing obvious turned up... however I'm not such a noob (almost) to think they haven't already been discussed.

Anyway, the instructor resumes are obviously impressive but the video smells a bit like Bullshido. Release the Power Within!

Maybe a new case for the Bullshido Detectives?

Bullshido Admin

Posted On:
    1/10/2006 8:42pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: 柔術

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Nothing Special. A bit 0f modified Japanese Jujutsu done at an adequate(not great) level.

Posted On:
    1/10/2006 8:48pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: stickfighting

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    after watching the video:

-if you get that close to someone with your sidearm, you deserve to have it shoved up your a$$ before they pull the trigger

-my LEO academy didn't address ground fighting at all, that part would be useful for many.

Stand and Deliver!

Posted On:
    1/10/2006 9:31pm

supporting member
     Style: JKD Concepts, Kyokushin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hans Marrero is good at what he does, and the stuff he teaches isn't bad, either.

But it's very basic stuff, and if you've already had exposure to martial arts systems or groundfighting, this stuff isn't going to be anything new.
    "Onward we stagger, and if the tanks come, may God help the tanks." - Col. William O. Darby

Bullshido Admin

Posted On:
    1/10/2006 9:59pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: 柔術

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix
    Hans Marrero is good at what he does, and the stuff he teaches isn't bad, either.

But it's very basic stuff, and if you've already had exposure to martial arts systems or groundfighting, this stuff isn't going to be anything new.

Thats a great point. I was looking at the stuff as an expirenced Martial Artist, and to me that look very basic and nothing special. However, if I was charged with teaching a bunch of n00b LEOs I would do something similiar. Nothing fancy, plain and simple.

I don't see bullshido.

Stand and Deliver!

Posted On:
    1/10/2006 11:40pm

supporting member
     Style: JKD Concepts, Kyokushin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by KageKaze
    Thats a great point. I was looking at the stuff as an expirenced Martial Artist, and to me that look very basic and nothing special. However, if I was charged with teaching a bunch of n00b LEOs I would do something similiar. Nothing fancy, plain and simple.
    See, that's the thing. Marrero made things simple on purpose, for two reasons.

Firstly, he acknowledges the physiological events that occur on an officer when he is under combat stress (ie. complex and fine motor skills shutting down, tunnel vision, fight or flight response, etc.), and thus teaches simple gross motor skill techniques that an officer can use effectively to prevail in a situation where he needs to use unarmed combat.

Secondly, and you've hit the nail on the head, his stuff is simple because alot of guys who apply to be cops, while physically fit (in most cases I've seen), have not had alot of background in martial arts or other forms of unarmed combat. So, he introduces a system of basic, functional techniques for an officer to learn from.

Some of the guys in the training section of my department did some courses with Hans, then came back and started implementing it in our recruit training programs. To alot of the guys there, it was good stuff. But for guys like me, who have been training for a long period of time in multiple systems, it wasn't anything I hadn't seen before.

Like I said, it's good stuff, but it's bare basics. But then again, when the **** hits the fan, basics can be all you need to save your life.
    "Onward we stagger, and if the tanks come, may God help the tanks." - Col. William O. Darby

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/11/2006 10:02am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks dudes. I dunno about simultaneous multiple gun disarms as being basic though... :). Sounds like a good way to get shot... not like there's a better option at that point. Are the static knife blocks standard technique for this kind of training? Anybody used one in a real confrontation? I thought the video was interesting where it showed a fairly realistic knife attack on the officer, ie: small amplitude continuous slashing, but then when it showed defending knife attacks, the attacker did traditional large amplitude single attacks (a la Jim Carrey In Living Color skit). I guess it all depends on the experience and adrenaline level of the attacker....

Welterweight

Posted On:
    1/11/2006 11:02am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Not sure if I viewed the same clip as you guys (well, Justin seemed to observe what I did), but what I saw was all 'non-alive' training (the opponent just basically stood there while the technique was being applied) - maybe this was just for the sake of the video.

I'm sure many have already seen these - but if I were an officer I would be pushing my training to be similar to the ISR-Matrix stuff (see 2 clips below for an idea of what they are all about):

http://www.isrmatrix.org/videos/isrle25mb.wmv

http://www.isrmatrix.org/videos/ISRPM_clipDSL.wmv
    Last edited by Student; 1/11/2006 11:07am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/11/2006 2:45pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That's the first time I've seen the ISR stuff. I like it, looks like an emphasis on using your natural responses and lots of sparring. I do agree with Phoenix, simple is always better 'cause nothing fancy is going to stick in your head during a real stressful encounter. But, in my mind, 'simple' still has to address an 'alive' scenario as Student said.

Converter of Virgins

Posted On:
    1/11/2006 2:52pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: H'ung Ga & SPM

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin
    Anybody know anything about these guys?

GySgt. Hans Marrero (USMC Ret.)
    http://www.policecqb.com/

I searched the Bullshido forums for all the key words I could think of but nothing obvious turned up... however I'm not such a noob (almost) to think they haven't already been discussed.

Anyway, the instructor resumes are obviously impressive but the video smells a bit like Bullshido. Release the Power Within!

Maybe a new case for the Bullshido Detectives?
    You might just steer clear of "Police" type of things. Law Enforcement peeps are tasked with subduing - detaining and transporting bad guys. Kicking ass in a big way usually results in trouble for Cops ... brutality ... Civil Rights violations ... that sort of thing.

IMO, the sole function of any legitimate MA pursuit is both simple and singular in nature. Namely, destroy the Human Form. "Arrest and/or detain" just doesn't fit into the equation. Contrary to Pop Culture belief ... "Dirty Harry" was really just a movie. The BEAST
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast