Grandmaster Sensei of Village Idiocy

Posted On:
    1/11/2006 5:49pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kyokushin and Judo.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Kidspatula & Annatrocity:

Thats okay. I can see your point of view. I don't want to argue anymore. If it works for you thats fine. ABove all rest is important. And my original point was a decent martial arts class should give you the lot in a session. That being good fight instruction AND a solid workout. Fitness work on your own time like sprints is fine but sprinting and fighting are two different things. Oh and ignore ikken. He's just being a rude prick.

Khun Kao: You routine is good.... if your a proffesional fighter and getting paid. Its not practcial for most of us because we work full time jobs and need sleep.
    Hannibal: The sworn enemy of dishonest politicians, source of entertainment on Bullshido and newly appointed Office Linebacker. Terry Tait ain't got **** on me !!!!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/11/2006 6:14pm

Style: MuayThai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hannibal....

I completely agree, and that was actually meant to be one of my underlying points. I was trying to infer it rather than flat out state it.

It is very important to note that there is a reason I no longer train like that. Training the way I did for the length of time I did really fucked my body up. It helped me succeed (I've won 3 championship titles), but I now have lingering physical problems that will be with me for the rest of my life. It was well worth it and, fortunately, none are serious.

Posted On:
    1/11/2006 8:12pm

Style: Sanda, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by albert
    KS: This was not a beginners' class. There are other MT classes with different instructors, so maybe they use pads there. But glove drills for me were a big turnoff. I've never seen it before and I don't like it. I want to hit pads, the heavy bag, or people, nothing else.

Arbiter: I've trained at two other gyms, and never seen that drill. I know that's not a lot, and I don't pretend to be an expert. I may be just be jumping to a premature conclusion.
    They do glove drills at Boston Sanda, which I just joined. Boston Sanda seems to do very well in all sorts of kickboxing competitions so I assume it works.

Grandmaster Sensei of Village Idiocy

Posted On:
    1/11/2006 10:11pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kyokushin and Judo.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Khun Kao
    Hannibal....

I completely agree, and that was actually meant to be one of my underlying points. I was trying to infer it rather than flat out state it.

It is very important to note that there is a reason I no longer train like that. Training the way I did for the length of time I did really fucked my body up. It helped me succeed (I've won 3 championship titles), but I now have lingering physical problems that will be with me for the rest of my life. It was well worth it and, fortunately, none are serious.

My point exactly. Sometimes less is more.

WHat damage did you do ?
    Hannibal: The sworn enemy of dishonest politicians, source of entertainment on Bullshido and newly appointed Office Linebacker. Terry Tait ain't got **** on me !!!!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/12/2006 7:21am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Arthritic knuckles, damaged rotator cuff, gimpy ankles, TMJ Disorder.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    1/12/2006 11:19pm

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai, Kenjutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Kidspatula

I wasn't trying to call bullshit on you. The point I was trying to make was that one hrs is a pretty short amount of time to accomplish all the things you'd want to work on, plus spar 5 rounds. Maybe your classes are smaller than ours, or maybe your club owns more than one ring. But 1 hrs seems like you'd be really hard pressed to fit everything in.

And with regards to conditioning in class, all I can say is this: Yes, I agree with you that condition should be performed outside of class, when you're using condition exercises to cut your weight, or to get in "shape." But there is some benefit to making sure your technique is perfect, after you've exhausted yourself with an hr of conditioning, because that's probably how you're going to feel during a fight. Now that probably isn't the best way to learn technique, that's certainly not the best way for a beginner to lear Muay Thai, but it is valuable for perfecting your technique under physical exhaustion. And at least at the current club that I train at, they believe that your fight conditioning, your ability to maintain your technique for 5 rounds, is your greatest weapon.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    1/12/2006 11:22pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Khun Kao
    Arthritic knuckles, damaged rotator cuff, gimpy ankles, TMJ Disorder.

I'm really sorry to hear that. The TMJ really sucks. I hope you've found a way to cope with it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/13/2006 7:52am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by j416to
    I'm really sorry to hear that. The TMJ really sucks. I hope you've found a way to cope with it.
    No sympathy asked for or needed. I realize that this is something I've done to myself. There are always sacrifices to be made to achieve your goals, and those listed were mine. Yes, I have a little pain every day, but it was actually worth the sacrifice, IMHO.

I have found the perfect solution for my TMJ disorder. Yeah, the condition really sucks balls, but it only flares up once in a blue moon, and it only stays with me for about 2 days when it does flare up. It used to stay with me much longer (up to 2 weeks!) but I found that when it starts to flare up, I simply need to pop my mouthpiece in and wear it around for a day or two. It realigns my jaw into its correct position and then I'm fine for another 4-6 months before it flares up again.

Its a specific mouthpiece that works for me: Shock Doctor Power Ultra

When I had other mouthpieces, the TMJ disorder would flare up more frequently for longer periods of time. But once I picked up the S.D.P.U. I noticed that besides being the most comfortable mouthpiece I've ever owned, it caused my TMJ disorder flare-ups to go away in no time, and they happened much less frequently.
    Last edited by Khun Kao; 1/13/2006 7:54am at .

Middleweight

Posted On:
    1/13/2006 11:08am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Khun Kao

That's a really amazing piece of information. I'm going to have to buy one of those Shock Doctor Power Ultras, and see if they help me. I've started to exhibit some of the early stages of TMJ.

Thank you very much.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/13/2006 2:25pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Good luck with that. I can't say for sure WHY that mouthpiece is helping me, and I'm not sure that it will have the same results for other people. But for $20, its not too great an investment to find out. The upside is that its a damned good mouthpiece anyway, so its not like it would be a waste....
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456