Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/10/2006 5:35pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by j416to
    Albert

I would find another place to train, this probably isn't the place for you.

Why?

1) A class that is anything less than 1 1/2 hrs is probably too short for you. They won't have time to teach you any advanced techniques, and you're beyond the beginner/intermediate level.

2) A 45 min class usually means that they're trying to sandwich in as many classes as possible. That's usually a sign that they're trying to run a very tight ship. You probably won't have much time to learn or practice anything new. And I'm guessing that you're not allowed to just hang around after class, to practice technique.

3) Places that regularly has people hitting gloves are usually full of beginners, and only beginners, because beginners can't hold Thai pads.

I also prefer to train for 1.5 hrs, but it´s hard to find those kind of gyms even in the Midwest U.S. where I´m from, and so in Spain it´s going to be that much harder. Also, I made a mistake, the class lasts 1 hour, not 45 minutes.

The classes are unlimited, so I can attend classes back to back. I can also come in the gym whenever I want to use treadmills, weights and the heavy bag. All for about $70 a month. So I´m still really tempted by the gym.

I´m going to buy one week´s worth of classes next week and try other instructors. If I don´t get some padwork in soon I´m going to shoot someone.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    1/10/2006 5:44pm

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai, Kenjutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Albert

If they aren't doing pad work, then the class is probably full of beginners.

1 hr class = 20-30 mins of warm up, 30 mins of technique.

12 beginners = 6 training pairs, none of which can hold Thai pads.

Even if your instructor is world class, 30 mins simply isn't enough time for him to hold the pads for 12 students. That would be less than 2 mins per student, not even a single round.

You need to find a mixed class with some intermediate students, students who have enough experience to hold the pads for each other.

Good luck.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/10/2006 6:08pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, other instructors might emphasize padwork more than others. I´m hoping. There were definitely beginners, but not all of them were. In addition, the warmup was actually 15 minutes, so I got a solid 45 minutes of technique. The time issue really is not important because of the unlimited classes, though of course I´d rather do 1 class the right way than 2 more mediocre classes.

But I am disappointed with Rafi´s class, it seems hard to believe that he has his students do glove exercises consistently.

WARNING THIS USER TENDS TO BE FULL OF ****!

Posted On:
    1/10/2006 6:13pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Blank

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you are new to MT, don't expect to be sparring anytime soon.

Learn your gloves, pads, attacks and defense. Shadow boxing. Drills. Partner up. Do your jump ropes, your push ups etc.

All MT school do this for beginners.

You think you can last 3 minutes in the ring? First, you need to last three minutes on the pads.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    1/10/2006 6:15pm

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai, Kenjutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, I understand what you're saying.

My feeling is that a lot of these issues occur because of the level of the other students in a class, more than anything else.

A great instructor is important, but so is training with a bunch of people who are better than you. You want them to force you to raise your game, not lower it.

Check it out for a week, you might have just hit a bad day.

Administrator

Posted On:
    1/10/2006 6:17pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Have you watched all the classes?

Have you raised these concerns to the teacher?

Have you checked the schedule?

The reason I ask is everyday may be different. You can't spar hard everyday.

He'll flip ya!

Posted On:
    1/10/2006 9:15pm

supporting member
     Style: Not.....working

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

I shouldn’t. But I can’t help myself.

HA HA HA HA HA Ha!All of this makes me laugh. From now on whenever Muay Thai'st and kickboxers in general question or even completely reject the possibility that whatever is taught in a Karate school may be effective .

I'll bring up this thread to remind you guys that training no matter what style is never always perfect anywhere...by any instructor.

Here. If you can't find a good gym then try this Kyokushin Karate place.My spanish is not so good..... maybe you can undestand better.They are somewhere in Madrid.

http://karate.roiz.org/staticpages/i...40526135058983

"Punching fist".What the ****!

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    1/10/2006 10:50pm

supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Canuckyokushin
    HA HA HA HA HA Ha!All of this makes me laugh. From now on whenever Muay Thai'st and kickboxers in general question or even completely reject the possibility that whatever is taught in a Karate school may be effective .

I'll bring up this thread to remind you guys that training no matter what style is never always perfect anywhere...by any instructor.

Here. If you can't find a good gym then try this Kyokushin Karate place.My spanish is not so good..... maybe you can undestand better.They are somewhere in Madrid.

http://karate.roiz.org/staticpages/i...40526135058983

"Punching fist".What the ****!
    I really don't see anything wrong with the class. It sounds basically the same as how my class is. I see nothing wrong with using gloves for pad feeding as long as that's not the ONLY thing they ever do.
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    1/10/2006 10:53pm

supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by j416to
    Albert

If they aren't doing pad work, then the class is probably full of beginners.

1 hr class = 20-30 mins of warm up, 30 mins of technique.

12 beginners = 6 training pairs, none of which can hold Thai pads.

Even if your instructor is world class, 30 mins simply isn't enough time for him to hold the pads for 12 students. That would be less than 2 mins per student, not even a single round.

You need to find a mixed class with some intermediate students, students who have enough experience to hold the pads for each other.

Good luck.
    30 minutes of warmup? WTF?? We do 10 minutes, max in my muay thai class. Who the hell needs that long of a warmup? Who needs an hour and a half of class time either?
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

Grandmaster Sensei of Village Idiocy

Posted On:
    1/10/2006 10:56pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kyokushin and Judo.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kidspatula
    30 minutes of warmup? WTF?? We do 10 minutes, max in my muay thai class. Who the hell needs that long of a warmup? Who needs an hour and a half of class time either?

One and a half hours is about the normal training time. How long do your sessions go for ?
    Hannibal: The sworn enemy of dishonest politicians, source of entertainment on Bullshido and newly appointed Office Linebacker. Terry Tait ain't got **** on me !!!!
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12 3456 LastLast