Page 2 of 6 First 123456 Last
  1. #11

    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Posts
    932
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by j416to
    Albert

    I would find another place to train, this probably isn't the place for you.

    Why?

    1) A class that is anything less than 1 1/2 hrs is probably too short for you. They won't have time to teach you any advanced techniques, and you're beyond the beginner/intermediate level.

    2) A 45 min class usually means that they're trying to sandwich in as many classes as possible. That's usually a sign that they're trying to run a very tight ship. You probably won't have much time to learn or practice anything new. And I'm guessing that you're not allowed to just hang around after class, to practice technique.

    3) Places that regularly has people hitting gloves are usually full of beginners, and only beginners, because beginners can't hold Thai pads.

    I also prefer to train for 1.5 hrs, but its hard to find those kind of gyms even in the Midwest U.S. where Im from, and so in Spain its going to be that much harder. Also, I made a mistake, the class lasts 1 hour, not 45 minutes.

    The classes are unlimited, so I can attend classes back to back. I can also come in the gym whenever I want to use treadmills, weights and the heavy bag. All for about $70 a month. So Im still really tempted by the gym.

    Im going to buy one weeks worth of classes next week and try other instructors. If I dont get some padwork in soon Im going to shoot someone.

  2. #12

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    1,242
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Albert

    If they aren't doing pad work, then the class is probably full of beginners.

    1 hr class = 20-30 mins of warm up, 30 mins of technique.

    12 beginners = 6 training pairs, none of which can hold Thai pads.

    Even if your instructor is world class, 30 mins simply isn't enough time for him to hold the pads for 12 students. That would be less than 2 mins per student, not even a single round.

    You need to find a mixed class with some intermediate students, students who have enough experience to hold the pads for each other.

    Good luck.

  3. #13

    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Posts
    932
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, other instructors might emphasize padwork more than others. Im hoping. There were definitely beginners, but not all of them were. In addition, the warmup was actually 15 minutes, so I got a solid 45 minutes of technique. The time issue really is not important because of the unlimited classes, though of course Id rather do 1 class the right way than 2 more mediocre classes.

    But I am disappointed with Rafis class, it seems hard to believe that he has his students do glove exercises consistently.

  4. #14
    WARNING THIS USER TENDS TO BE FULL OF ****! Bullshido Newbie

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    156
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you are new to MT, don't expect to be sparring anytime soon.

    Learn your gloves, pads, attacks and defense. Shadow boxing. Drills. Partner up. Do your jump ropes, your push ups etc.

    All MT school do this for beginners.

    You think you can last 3 minutes in the ring? First, you need to last three minutes on the pads.

  5. #15

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    1,242
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, I understand what you're saying.

    My feeling is that a lot of these issues occur because of the level of the other students in a class, more than anything else.

    A great instructor is important, but so is training with a bunch of people who are better than you. You want them to force you to raise your game, not lower it.

    Check it out for a week, you might have just hit a bad day.

  6. #16
    It is Fake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    34,442
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Have you watched all the classes?

    Have you raised these concerns to the teacher?

    Have you checked the schedule?

    The reason I ask is everyday may be different. You can't spar hard everyday.

  7. #17

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    ?????????
    Posts
    2,736
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

    I shouldnt. But I cant help myself.

    HA HA HA HA HA Ha!All of this makes me laugh. From now on whenever Muay Thai'st and kickboxers in general question or even completely reject the possibility that whatever is taught in a Karate school may be effective .

    I'll bring up this thread to remind you guys that training no matter what style is never always perfect anywhere...by any instructor.

    Here. If you can't find a good gym then try this Kyokushin Karate place.My spanish is not so good..... maybe you can undestand better.They are somewhere in Madrid.

    http://karate.roiz.org/staticpages/i...40526135058983




    "Punching fist".What the ****!

  8. #18
    Torakaka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Kaka village
    Posts
    10,642
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Canuckyokushin
    HA HA HA HA HA Ha!All of this makes me laugh. From now on whenever Muay Thai'st and kickboxers in general question or even completely reject the possibility that whatever is taught in a Karate school may be effective .

    I'll bring up this thread to remind you guys that training no matter what style is never always perfect anywhere...by any instructor.

    Here. If you can't find a good gym then try this Kyokushin Karate place.My spanish is not so good..... maybe you can undestand better.They are somewhere in Madrid.

    http://karate.roiz.org/staticpages/i...40526135058983




    "Punching fist".What the ****!
    I really don't see anything wrong with the class. It sounds basically the same as how my class is. I see nothing wrong with using gloves for pad feeding as long as that's not the ONLY thing they ever do.
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

  9. #19
    Torakaka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Kaka village
    Posts
    10,642
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by j416to
    Albert

    If they aren't doing pad work, then the class is probably full of beginners.

    1 hr class = 20-30 mins of warm up, 30 mins of technique.

    12 beginners = 6 training pairs, none of which can hold Thai pads.

    Even if your instructor is world class, 30 mins simply isn't enough time for him to hold the pads for 12 students. That would be less than 2 mins per student, not even a single round.

    You need to find a mixed class with some intermediate students, students who have enough experience to hold the pads for each other.

    Good luck.
    30 minutes of warmup? WTF?? We do 10 minutes, max in my muay thai class. Who the hell needs that long of a warmup? Who needs an hour and a half of class time either?
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

  10. #20

    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    3,334
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kidspatula
    30 minutes of warmup? WTF?? We do 10 minutes, max in my muay thai class. Who the hell needs that long of a warmup? Who needs an hour and a half of class time either?

    One and a half hours is about the normal training time. How long do your sessions go for ?
    Hannibal: The sworn enemy of dishonest politicians, source of entertainment on Bullshido and newly appointed Office Linebacker. Terry Tait ain't got **** on me !!!!

Page 2 of 6 First 123456 Last

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO