Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/09/2006 10:49pm

Style: FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Thanks Bullshidoka

Recently I have been allowed back to Bullshido by Phrost after being banned. This thread is in part to say thankyou to Phrost, administrators and the Bullshidoka for the guidance I have received, partly to explain what happened and to apologise. Hopefully my story will act as a warning and perhaps even an inspiration to others.

The short of what happened is that I got caught impersonating a fake (duplicate) account called "Nutrider" so that I could flog my own dead horse without getting any neg reps or blow backs from such an offensive (for Lefty). At the time my deception was detected by admin (JKDChick was very quick to pick it up) and both accounts were banned. Silly me - in retrospect it was a cry for help. I humbly apologise for turning on the Bullshido community, it has really helped me develop as a martial artist by challenging my views and improving the way I trained.

You see the irony in this story is I was the nutrider all along. I came to Bullshido hoping to champion Wing Chun's effectiveness as a whole. However, what I failed to appreciate from the beginning is that I and my friends disagree strongly with the training methods and interpretations of most schools and lineages (all the popular ones anyway). When trying to defend WC/WT as a whole I was forced to do quite a bit of research and found out that I’m part of a lunatic fringe who actually hit people when we spar, do Wing Chun Chin Na a lot (we grab from all the shapes and grapple while striking) and believe strongly in conditioning, aggressive balanced footwork, and an ambidextrous approach.

After I was banned it really put a bomb under me and I started looking into MMA a lot more. I saw that these guys were VERY good and they got that way by training as closely to competition as possible (full contact). I realised it’s actually a great idea and fits with the philosophy of our group. The big problem was safety so people can go full force (without losing teeth etc). Therefore in our group I suggested we put on boxing gloves and spar full contact for most of the session. Within one week my punching power had increased massively to the point where I was really hurting people. However, the first time we tried it I almost had a cardiac arrest.

So thanks to Bullshido my training emphasis has changed to increase my skills as a “combat athlete” rather than a “martial artist”. Now I really love training and look forward to it – it’s more fun, I’ve lost weight and gained muscle, I look better and healthier, recently I went canoeing for 4 days straight and just powered through the water.

Also my forms and light work have greatly improved - so its really rounded me out as I have focused on my weaknesses. Our group found by making it safer we can practice realistic power sweeps and throws, kicks and punches that really can be demonstrated to work against a fully resisting opponent. The only problem is joint breaks as in our first “grappling only” full contact bout someone almost had their elbow joint broken just after the beginning so we need a way to make that safe. Any suggestions for making that safe for full resistance would be appreciated. (Is there like an elbow brace or something that can be used to pevent hyper-extension ?)

Anyway thanks everybody for your divergent opinions, guidance and support.

Cheers,

Lefty.

PS: Dont worry I was only let back in on proviso that I behave myself, after an appropriate amount of grovelling...
    Last edited by Lefty; 1/09/2006 10:52pm at .

Posted On:
    1/09/2006 11:01pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ - Homeland Security

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Do you actually train at a mixed martial arts school now?

One Ambulance, Eleven Cops...

Posted On:
    1/09/2006 11:09pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lefty
    (Is there like an elbow brace or something that can be used to pevent hyper-extension ?)
    That's a brilliant idea.

Anyway, glad to hear.
    “We are surrounded by warships and don’t have time to talk. Please pray for us.” — One Somali Pirate.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/09/2006 11:15pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Local MMA school is too expensive - I have a young family.

I've always believed in a DUI approach - my whole group are all ex-instructors so we have a lot of knowledge, we just need to develop safe, realistic methodologies for what we do so we are doing it with better attributes.

I dont train in MMA but I am keen to apply the methods of combat sports to my own training to get the advantages - I have a lot of respect for Judo and kickboxing/boxing/muay thai and want some of the advantages from a CMA approach. I'm very interested in learning more about Sanda.

We also have gone the same way with the FMA sticks training - but go full power with home made soft sticks and dont break it up for the entire round.
    Last edited by Lefty; 1/10/2006 1:53am at .

Founder/GrandSensei of Joint British / Papua New Guinean Non-contact Lawn Bowls Jiu Jitsu Committee

Posted On:
    1/09/2006 11:28pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Careful about the old DIY grappling.

fastest way to serious injury.

Oh, and, uh, good. And what have you. Well done.
    Imports from Japan, Shipping Worldwide! Art Junkie, Scramble, BJJ Spirits, Reversal...
    Scramble Stuff

Posted On:
    1/09/2006 11:35pm

Style: -

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    (Is there like an elbow brace or something that can be used to pevent hyper-extension ?)
    You really don't need it. You need to learn when to tap, and you need to learn to respect your partners taps. That's all you need. Sacrifice some of the "reality" for safety.
    If you have a large enough group, have a bjj or judo player give you an intro on armbars. I'm sure you'll find one that will be happy to do it. It's really not that complicated.

Tomas
    Current stage of death: denial

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/10/2006 12:11am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    We do a standing arm-bar but it happens very fast the way we do the elbow hyper-extend - if you do it slow they can roll out of it. Point taken though we may need to enforce a rule to protect against injury on that one. We have a judo player in the group but yeah the close call on the elbow joint happened to him.

Posted On:
    1/10/2006 8:54am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ - Homeland Security

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I dont train in MMA but I am keen to apply the methods of combat sports to my own training to get the advantages - I have a lot of respect for Judo and kickboxing/boxing/muay thai and want some of the advantages from a CMA approach. I'm very interested in learning more about Sanda.
    Just because you respect something does not mean you can do it.

Posted On:
    1/10/2006 11:42am

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hi Lefty! I'm the guy who should be banned and who haunts this forum and won't get off, like some psychotic asshole who doesn't need sleep.

One Ambulance, Eleven Cops...

Posted On:
    1/10/2006 11:44am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by baofuhaibo
    Hi Lefty! I'm the guy who should be banned and who haunts this forum and won't get off, like some psychotic asshole who doesn't need sleep.
    Are you asking to be banned? Because if you are, I'm happy to oblige.
    “We are surrounded by warships and don’t have time to talk. Please pray for us.” — One Somali Pirate.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast