Featherweight

Posted On:
    1/09/2006 7:48pm

supporting member
     Style: Not training

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Freestyle Reality - Amateur KungFu Comedy

Hi folks. I'll start by apologizing for not putting more though into what forum this went into. Here seems good enough.

I've long since stopped practicing MA due to a combination of chronic injury and other interests, but I still poke around this board now and then and thought that some of you might appreciate this movie.

This is the ambitious project of the freestyle footbagger and martial enthusiast known as Samurai. It documents the heroic Californian freestyler and Judo champ Chris Pinkus as he follows his destiny. For those of you who don't know, freestyle footbag is an underground sport with a worldwide brotherhood of players. It is practiced in solitude and by apprenticeship. Much like the ancient masters of martial arts, hearsay and legend surround the upper echelon of freestylers, as they travel the globe to meet, instruct, and destroy one another. For more information, visit http://www.footbag.org.

Large download, but from a fast host. XVID codec required.

Get it HERE. ~1 Gigabyte, running time 1:31:41.

Highly recommended.

Posted On:
    1/09/2006 10:37pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ummm, isnt this just like hacky sack or what ever, its not very "underground" at all, tons of kids play it at my school every day. I play a modified version called wack my sack, but then peolple accused me of liking testicles to much to be straight and i stopped.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    1/09/2006 11:31pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Freestyle Footbag is to 'hacky sack' as Pai Mei is to Tum Tum. Well, maybe Colt.

One Ambulance, Eleven Cops...

Posted On:
    1/09/2006 11:37pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    General BS is probably a better choice.
    “We are surrounded by warships and don’t have time to talk. Please pray for us.” — One Somali Pirate.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/09/2006 11:41pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I hope Sam gets around to releasing this; I'm in it.

[edit] whoops, didn't realize the file was at the bottom of the post. :bduh:

Freestyle footbag is emminently not hacky-sack. Hacky-sack is like a track-and-field mini-game, where you stand around in circles and try collectively not to let the bag hit the ground. Freestyle is a lot more individual. I go to school, and occasionally kick, with Chris (not so much lately; gotta dust off my bag and lavers). A hack session with these guys puts one in mind of a jam session; you do a solo, then pass the bag. Unfortunately, appreciating high-level play kinda requires you to have done it yourself.

Also, kicking has very little place in freestyle competition. The real meat is the delay moves. The bag is delayed on a surface; a side of your foot. You set it, do whatever it is you want to do, and end in another delay. It takes truckloads more energy than just kicking.

And we don't use those crocheted bags ("granny bags"). Well, not Chris and those.

Well, that's the Cliff's Notes.

Also of note is that FR is a sequel; for a taste of what you're going to be seeing, check out "Freestyle Fantasy."

What the hell, I'll tell Samurai about this thread and maybe he could find time to tell you about it.
    Last edited by Kraken; 1/09/2006 11:53pm at .

software engineer

Posted On:
    1/10/2006 2:57am

supporting member
     Style: kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I like how the freestyle section has tons and tons of predetermined moves.
    Last edited by meng_mao; 1/10/2006 2:57am at . Reason: can i spell?

"I feel naked I was so distracted by your penis"

DETROIT WHAT! (and surrounding upper-class burbs)

Posted On:
    1/10/2006 1:51pm

Style: Ving Tsun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    WTF? So if you can hack with a few stalls or spins or jumps it's no longer called hacking? And if you can do it in pre-set combos instead of on the fly it's called "freestyle"? How does this not qualify as dumbest post ever? "Solitude and by apprenticeship"?!? Wait... apprenticeship?!? You have to be joking, and/or the worst newbie hacker in the world.

I really need to tell my friends about this... holy **** this is classic. And stupid. But stupid in a "I'm going to remember this forever" sort of way.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/10/2006 2:46pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't know about Dagon, but I still call it hacking. The competitive sport itself is not Hacky-Sack, though. Footbag, Freestyle, or a combination of the two is the common description. But when trying to cobble together a session, we generally nod toward the door and say "you wanna hack/kick awhile?" Fewer syllables that way.

The moves aren't so much predetermined as described by the notation footbaggers use to communicate what they're doing over text media. Evolution has produced a great deal of variety in nature, but we use orderly taxonomy to classify them.

Not to mention those moves in the freestyle section are common. Scoring in footbag competition is based on how the elements of a trick are put together. Unfortunately the add system isn't perfect; a lot of moves on the same add level are vastly different in terms of difficulty. Inventing moves is also very very hard; what I hear from Chris is "if it's not over five adds, you're not doing anything new." You can probably raise that figure to six adds nowadays.

As for solitude and apprenticeship, it's sort of true. The top tier guys move very fast, and it's hard for a person to just jump in and start learning without some guidance. Different body types make different moves and combos easier; taller guys can almost dex without their legs coming off the ground. Chris, while short, is very flexible, and the plyometric training he does for Judo makes him very good at symposium moves (where the support leg is used in the trick, basically meaning you have to spring off your toes) and massive aerials. Not every hacker will be able to teach you effectively. So you do sort of have to be an apprentice for a while. Maybe a few weeks. I personally take advice from any good hacker that'll lend me some.

At the same time, once you've sort of been brought up to speed on the sport, know the notation and have the fundamentals, you can learn a lot of stuff by yourself.

"I feel naked I was so distracted by your penis"

DETROIT WHAT! (and surrounding upper-class burbs)

Posted On:
    1/10/2006 3:26pm

Style: Ving Tsun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

You're little 5th kyu stall will not defeat my 3rd dan handspring

(sorry but I'm still laughing)

"Also, kicking has very little place in freestyle competition. The real meat is the delay moves." :thebirdma

And that is why your hacking ability sucks. To even reach your 5th kyu you'll have to be able to stall regularly on your primary leg. And with your shitty "sticks to me like velcro" dirt bag, you'll practically be cheating when you reach your first dan.

And doing all that boring stuff alone shows that you have very little chi in the first place. Hacking was practically invented by dirty hippies who are all into hugging trees. Self-promotion does not sit well within the spirit of the hack. Neither does hogging the thing like a 6 year-old to his Tonka truck, or a diabetic to his insulin.

Saying that "freestyle" is NOT "hacky sack" just shows how little you know. The only reason it's called that is because some ass-hat got a trademark on the name "hacky sack". This is really like you saying "It's a tissue, not a kleanex. The two have nothing in common!" or "Real magik is spelled with a k!"

Also, naming your *new* move the "butterfly in a blendar" when all you're doing is stringing together 8 moves that everyone else already knows still sucks as well, and won't let you gain much rank over your si-dai. Ooo! A pendulum back to another pendulum back to... whoa! Another pendulum!! To a toe-stall!!! **** YEAH HOLY ****!!!

"Hearsay and legend surround the upper echelon of freestylers"-- only because they are all too stoned to remember who the **** they are.

"Hacky-sack is like a track-and-field mini-game, where you stand around in circles and try collectively not to let the bag hit the ground."-- Tell me that the next time my 3rd Dan gung-fu spin-style does a full front handspring and releases the sack into your chest, where you can *stall* it on your knee or some ****. Then watch as the ladies say "Wow, can you do that flip again? At my apartment? When I'm naked?"

Yes, I said I'd release my sack into your chest. No, I didn't need to become Jedi Master Yoda's apprentice to learn moves those skin-flute players on that site don't even dream about.

Dagon :new_blowi

Featherweight

Posted On:
    1/10/2006 5:17pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm amazed that my post was able to evoke such a derogotory responce. Huzzah!

For starters, when you said 'you have to be joking', well, I thought it was pretty obvious I was. Drawing similarities to the old Kung Fu genre, you see.

Secondly, let me assure you that you have no idea what you're talking about with regards to what freestyle footbag is, so your verbal raping felt like a cool summer breeze. Had it occurred to you that my calling the sport 'underground' might imply that the common conception (IE: yours) is some combination of outdated and ignorant? As far as I know, there are no serious freestylers in Detroit, but there are strong players in Ann Arbor, who I'm sure would be happy to show you what's what if you're interested.

Third, while most freestylers do still use the word 'hack' on a pretty regular basis, almost none respect the name Hacky Sack - for the reason you mentioned. Hacky Sack is a brand name owned by a company which has never manufactured quality bags, and hasn't supported the sport in any meaningful way for several years. It would hardly make sense for a young sport to name itself after an unsupportive brand.

Fourth, and off topic, you might want to consider not being such a miserable asshole. It really won't serve you in life, no matter how fun it might seem.

Kraken: Who are you? Shoot me a PM.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast