Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/20/2006 4:50pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What I'm getting from this discussion is:

There is no way to train live for a knife fight because training live implies that you would have to train with real knives which is a good idea only for those deserving Darwin awards.

I agree with this statement and the followup question to that seems to be:

Is there an acceptable simulation of a real knife fight that has enough training value that it would increase your probability of suriviving an encounter with someone that has a knife?

Someone here mentioned STAB. From the posts I have read it seems that STAB assumes you have already been stabbed before you defend yourself.

1. Is this true?

2. If the answer to the above is yes: From the video I have seen on YouTube it seems that everyone is fighting back full force? Is this realistic assuming you've been stabbed? What assumption is STAB making: that your adrenaline will defy the effects of the knife stabbing you? Do we have any factual evidence on this matter? I noticed some opinions in the discussion but they were too few for me to draw a conclusion.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    9/20/2006 5:00pm

supporting member
     Style: Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by SimonBelmont
    Someone here mentioned STAB. From the posts I have read it seems that STAB assumes you have already been stabbed before you defend yourself.

1. Is this true?
    Base on my understand -- No. I believe it's based off the scenario where the knife wielder is attacking first -- not necessarily that you have been stabbed. From an RBSD standpoint, it jumps the "interview" phase of the confrontation and goes directly to the physical.

- Matt
    Student of Wan Yi Chuan Kung Fu,
    Kali, & what ever works
    Renaissance Martial Arts
    Rochester, NY

IF I POST ONE MORE CRAPPY THREAD I WILL GET LOCKED IN TROLLSHIDO FOR A MONTH

Posted On:
    9/22/2006 4:21am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Deadly Flower Fist

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you want to understand what knife fighting is all about, talk to phillipino martial artists. As in, guys that do kali, escrima or whatever.

They really are the kings of knife fighting.

The main thing to remember, is that knife fighting is like adding half a foot to the opponents reach, if you don't freak out, it's possible. Not pleasant, but possible.

However, in my experience, when someone comes at you with a knife, you DO freak out. A lot. The old "wallet in the face then kick em in the nuts" routine isn't a bad idea, but it's a better idea to run away and get a decent stick.

A wing chun exponent I met was attacked with knife and mashed the guys nose all over his face, but got stabbe in the arm.

Still, better the arm than the face or stomach...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/22/2006 11:57am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Perhaps but I'm assuming (and correct me if I am wrong) that you would have to spend years studying the Filipino arts in order to apply them effectively. The STAB program seems to capitalize on skills that someone versed in grappling/jujitsu may already have and would only need to hone them for that specific application.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    9/22/2006 3:15pm

supporting member
     Style: Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Perhaps but I'm assuming (and correct me if I am wrong) that you would have to spend years studying the Filipino arts in order to apply them effectively. The STAB program seems to capitalize on skills that someone versed in grappling/jujitsu may already have and would only need to hone them for that specific application.
    People overcomplicate the knife -- just as they overcomplicate the basics of fighting from time to time. A person with a few months of digent study in a knife based FMA like Pekiti or Sayok are going to do a bunch of damage (either as a knife weilder or defender). That said, you'll spend time on both sides of the equasion. STAB focuses on defense first and foremost. It's especially good for people who are already working with a grappling foundation.

- Matt
    Student of Wan Yi Chuan Kung Fu,
    Kali, & what ever works
    Renaissance Martial Arts
    Rochester, NY

Gnarly King of Half-Guard

Posted On:
    9/22/2006 3:28pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The Dog Brothers use the same 2 on 1 grip in this video, and they're FMA guys...

IF I POST ONE MORE CRAPPY THREAD I WILL GET LOCKED IN TROLLSHIDO FOR A MONTH

Posted On:
    9/25/2006 3:43am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Deadly Flower Fist

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My best tip for knife defense is this.

Don't hang out in shitholes were people carry knives.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/26/2006 10:45am

Style: FMA & judo-ultra noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Most of the filipino martial arts are extremely simple. The reason is they were intended for village defense. So the idea was to cut all the unnecessary crap and just get people as functionally capable as possible in as short a time as possible. People who, for all intents and purposes, were undereducated farmers. So it had to be simple, easy to learn, and most of all effective.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/10/2006 10:49am

Style: none yet

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Here's a good training video from Jim Carey. Good for a laugh.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...98&q=jim+carey

"You made one of the classic mistakes you attacked me WRONG"

Posted On:
    10/13/2006 2:11am

Style: Pekiti, ARMA, other stuff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Aesopian
    I've seen Red Zone metioned as a good addition to STAB. Thanks for pointing it out.

I think the control material in Red Zone is good, but the entry and covering material is not quite so good, particularly with anyone who alternates thrust/slash/thrust(which isn't real hard to figure out). I generally prefer something like what you'll see in the more recent dog brothers tape(and is present in pekiti and few other arts) at entry, and something like STAB post-failure.
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 7 LastLast