Sponsored Links Spacer Image

My guns bigger than Scrapper's!

Posted On:
    1/13/2006 10:46am

supporting member
     Style: Kakutogi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

The fallacies of Knife defense trainng from someon who as been knifed!!!

Here the problem I've always had with KNIFE DEFENSE training. I used to do all the en vouge training (markers, dummy knifes, etc) and thought I had a good idea what to expect if ever faced with a knife. Well it happended (if you haven't already read I was mugged several years ago coming home from work when I was in college). Now granted I know training its not the same as the real thing even if you strive to keep it as realistic as possible but one thing is often over looked. When you train with the markers, wooden or rubber knifes, etc that leaves a mark or bruise you still continue on with optimal combat effectiveness. HOWEVER when you actually get cut your combat effectiveness does drop even if its a small cut because you have the psychological factor as well. When using fake blades pple don't respect the hits. Yeah you think, "OH that would have been bad" but its not really registering. Thats why I like the idea of using the taser because when you get it it really registers and you understand how your combat effectiness will drop.
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh

Welterweight

Posted On:
    1/13/2006 11:08am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I too like the idea of the taser - of course, without actually trying it, who knows - but I would like to try.

I have been knifed in a fight and my experience was different than asia's - I
    had no clue I had been stabbed until the fight was over. I lost a fair amount of blood and the doctors said it was close to a lethal blow, but I had no idea.

This must be different for everybody, and where you get stabbed I would imagine makes a difference too.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/15/2006 10:33am

Style: bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Take it with a grain of salt. When I was younger my best friend attacked me with a lolly pop stick to test the knife defenses I had learned in my karate and kung fu classes. Guess what he stabbed me in no time at all! Later on in life I got a deep cut on my index finger sparring with live blades with my cousin who used to be in the navy. Some time after in my aikido (yoseikan) class we practiced or knife defences against a wooden tanto, in this "live" light sparring exercise I maneged to "cut" or "stab" everyone mostly using a slow horizontal 8 pattern motion I learned many years ago.
    I've also read that some police deparments consider a knife more dangerous than a pistol when the attacker is closer that seven feet. There have been cases when the officer perished even after mortally wounding the assailant.
    I do not consider myself an expert in the subject, I've seen some drawings from "Fiori de Liberi" in where the defendant grabbed the blade. Has anybody tried that? Do knife defenses really work? I hope someone can shed more light into the matter.
    Have you checked gutterfighting .org I found some interesting reading there.

Why did they never try this....

Posted On:
    8/15/2006 5:59pm

supporting member
     Style: Jujutsu/Mixed

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Some one mentioned a taser, and remembered this thread
    and found this while looking

There was also mention of them being used @ the last Dog Brothers gathering of the pack so Poidog or RedElvis may have more info.
    "This won't hurt me a bit..." - My training partner.:new_astha

BJJ wins again!

Posted On:
    8/17/2006 1:17am

supporting member
     Style: Guns

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Guess what he stabbed me in no time at all!
    Penis?

Welterweight

Posted On:
    8/17/2006 1:50am

supporting member
     Style: Yoseikan Budo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I just bought the STAB video and received it this week so I'm about to make a review, just don't hold your breath for it as I have to convince my brother to do the drills with me.

But after only 1 viewing I can understand it's efectiveness as it's a no nonsense approach to knife defense when it's already too late to run.

One of the training blade manifacturer http://www.nolieblades.com/ also give a booklet so you can look where you were slash/stabed and the effect it would of had so I find that also good although as Asia has said knowing what a wound does and actually feeling it is something else.

Anyone has experience with these training blades ? I'm thinking of buying one as well.

I didn't think of using the taser though so we will probably use that, Yes after we already trained the drill :icon_razz
    Martial Arts is like sex, if you over complicate it with exotic sounding names, theories and principles, you end up fucking yourself in the ass. -Ronin69

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/17/2006 12:00pm

Style: FMA/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    having done a fair bit of scenario training in my fma classes and then training with mates ( confined spaces/uneven floors/low light/rain) i have to say that when things 'go off' in real life its nothing like it, sure its a 100 times better than training on flat mats, but nothing compares to knowing if you lose you at best get crippled.

unless in your scenario training you throw bikes at each other, push people in canals, stab with biros, smack heads on walls, headbutt and throw EVERYTHING that isnt nailed down at the other person, then i honestly believe it can't prepare you..

as ever just my tuppence worth

Da Komrads... Again you are MadPelvisOwn3d!

Posted On:
    8/17/2006 2:34pm

supporting member
     Style: Spetsnaz Shovel-Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Don Gwinn
    Penis?
    **** it all you just made me fall off my chair.... and I don't even know who that was in response too. Damn that was good.

:5slick:
    :icon_twis

To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence;
    Supreme excellence consists in breaking the enemy's resistance without spilling your Guinness.
    Sun "Fu Man JhooJits" Tzu, the Art of War & Guinness

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/17/2006 4:37pm

Style: bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Don Gwinn
    Penis?
    I guess you prefer to write about what you like.

Posted On:
    8/26/2006 10:18am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: XinYi-TuiShou

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    good posts
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 567 LastLast