Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/09/2006 12:13pm

Style: PFS, some BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Getting inside

Alright folks i need some help because i am stumped at the moment.....I keep sparring this one guy who is like 6'2 and i cannot reach him because i am short(5'6) I can do any number of takedowns and tap him out no problem but i want to be able to get in some good striking How can i get past these long ass arms and get in at least 1 good kick or punch?

Dark Overlord of the Bullshido Underworld

Posted On:
    1/09/2006 12:23pm

supporting member
     Style: Taai Si Ji Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Are you really asking how to get inside even though you already can get inside to take him down? The answer should be obvious: Stop taking him down and start punching.

If the description of your problem is, in reality, the entire extent of what is going on, I guarantee your problem is not getting inside but getting back out (or letting him back out) cleanly and he has you for dinner at that moment.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/09/2006 12:25pm

Style: PFS, some BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    sorry i guess i worded it incorrectly when i get inside i cant do anything but take him down because he has a relly good trapping range how do i clean up my act

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/09/2006 2:07pm

Style: Aunkai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    the answer, combinations and speed.

if the guy has longer reach he can hit you before you can hit him, so what you have to do is either force an opening to strike the guy, or keep on striking until an opening is created (as in 3-5 or more techniques).

to force an opening could be one of any number of things, side step to the outside when your tall opponent commits to an attack, grab a limb and yank push it out of the way, throw a fient etc.

if you just keep on striking until there is an opening, you will have some success as long as you overwelm the guy and he either stays in place or backs up. if he moves off the line, well then you need to adapt.

as a tall guy 6'2" that is usually what works on me, the problem is that too many people dont throw enough techniques to get in close. once you get in close to me, i can't generate enough power to do any real damage.

Posted On:
    1/11/2006 7:47am

Style: MMA, JKD philosophy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you can't reach his head or body with an attack because he's holding you off with his limbs, attack those limbs! Kick him in the legs. If he fires off a counterkick, block it with your elbow point. Or stomp your foot into his kick and step in with a punch. If he's throwing a lot of long range jabs to keep you away, grab that arm. overhook it and clinch. Grab the off hand wrist, start throwing knees. Or elbows and headbutts.

Just some ideas.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/12/2006 4:08am

Style: WSL Wing Chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Be fast and move around. I've had this problem a lot as well, and the best I can usually manage is either get inside the arms at any opening and just attack away, or find an opening and go for a hit and get out again(often as a counterattack).

Zombie Herald

Posted On:
    1/12/2006 8:46am

supporting member
     Style: Alliance BJJ (Blue)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What kind of clinch do you find yourself using to control him? Does he tend to punch or kick more as you come in? How are his elbows and knees?