Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/11/2006 4:43pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This gym is called Gym World Olimpia right? Can you be more detailed about the class structure? For example is it the same as it was in your other gym, like this...?

Munchais classes (2 hours each) used to go like this:

-Ten minutes of warm up, jumping rope.
    -One-two drills shadowboxing, focusing on the footwork, adding kicks later.
    -The dread gloves drills
    -Pad work focusing on the roundhouse, and heavybag if available (this was the core of the class, he seemed dissapointed with our technique, and probably thats why he focussed so much on the roundhouse).
    -Conditioning (abs, push-ups and running).

If so, great. Also, what are dread gloves? When are the classes?

Sorry to bombard you with questions, if you cant answer them all its okay, I will probably visit the gym tommorow if possible.

Posted On:
    1/11/2006 5:05pm

Join us... or die
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DCS
    Awesome avatar, btw.
    Yu0 = th3 d34dly :)
    Thanks to Reese for the avatar.

Albert, unfortunately, I wasnt able to check the class. I guess the structure of the class is similar, but I must say, that the class didnt have a fixed structure. At the time, Munchai concentrated in the roundhouse a lot, trying to polish our technique. We did some knee stuff also.

By "the dreaded gloves" I meant the drill you were complaining in your thread.

The MT time schedule goes like this:

Mondays: 19:00-20:30/21:30-22:30
    Tuesdays: 11:00-12:30
    Wednesdays: 19:00-20:30/21:30-22:30
    Thursdays: 11:00-12:30
    Fridays: 21:30-22:30

There are boxing classes by some guy called Walter, and kickboxing classes by Juanan, the spanish pro I talked about before (who, BTW, was the guy who brought Munchai from Thailand).

Oh, and yes, the gym is the same. I posted the adress and telephone number your thread. Its about 5-7 minutes from the Aluche Metro and Cercanas station.

Also, the guy there told that if I started next week, he would charge me only 25 for ttwo weeks, altrough I dont know if he was referring to MT+weights or just MT.

I think Ill definitively go to that gym, altrough I dont know if Ill start next week or next month (Im kinda busy now, with my studies).

Posted On:
    1/12/2006 12:06pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh, and albert, if youre gonna check the gym, please, make sure to post your thoughts on it, or, at least, PM them to me.

Posted On:
    2/01/2006 2:29pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    An update.

I had almost decided which gym I was going to sign in, the Olympia gym with Munchai, 60 per month for MT and weights. But a couple of days ago Ive received a mail from and old partner at my former gym. I had sent him an e-mail asking about the whole subject, but didnt get a reply.

He juts told me that Munchai was going to give MT lessons twice per week (two hours each class) at a gym which is near my home, starting this thursday. almost alll (if not all9 of my ex-partners are gonna go to that gym.

I went to check the gym today, about an hpur or less ago, and liked what Ive seen. Its a three-store gym with lotsa weights, statics bikes and the like, they also have a lot of activities, varying from spinning to aerobox and the like.

The thing is, I could sing in MT with Munchai for 40 per month, or I could pay an extra 20 for all the activities, which includes eights (of course) and boxing and kickboxing. I can alos pay 120e in advance to get 3 months plus one extra free (and I would have to pay only the 20e of Munchais fee, since hes not a gyms owner employee, like the kickboxing and boxing coaches). Since Im earning a 125 extra this month, I think Ill sign in this gym.

My intent is to do MT and weights, and probably attend a couple of classes at boxing to improve my punching game, sinced I found it a bick lacking in MT classes.

The gym owner seemed like a nice guy, and was pretty straigh-forwardabout how things are managed in the gym, and explaining the gym fees. He also asked me about my ex-partners, interested in how was the athmosphere in the class. He seemed worried because "sometimes, people who are into martial arts tend to be a little rough". Of course, I relieved him by telling that the athmosphere was OK, and everyvody behaved nicely. Shich is true, of course.

So Im finally decide, Ill start there next week. Too bad I forgot to ask for a boxing time-table, ill get one tomorrow.

Also Ill try to find out more about whta really happened in my old gym.

Posted On:
    2/01/2006 3:04pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 柔道

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The place looks fine and the price is reasonable.
    Congratulations.

BTW, "sometimes, people who are into martial arts tend to be a little rough", I've ever noticed that :)

Posted On:
    2/11/2006 9:29pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Another update, from work. My home internets died a horrible death and Im still waiting for the company to replace my fucking router.

Ive finally started training in said gym, the one which is just at a subway stop from my home. The gym is fine, the machines and weights are nice, with plenty of space (three floors) and good background mucis. I was tired of house and reggeton. Ive spend my extended hours pay in getting 3 months plus one free at the gym.

My training will basically consist of two days per week, two hours each, of MT under Munchai, and three days per week, one hour each, of kickboxing, under another kickboxing instructor. This guy looks nice and knowledgeable, and the environment in the class is good.

My goal is to combine the both styles to develop a nice stand up game. there are differences between the MT style and the kickboxing style, in the footwork, kicking technique and the dodging techniques. How will I be able to put it all togheter is anybodys gess, but you cant blame a guy for trying. After all, who says youre only supossed to roundhouse in just one way? Besides, the punches are always neglected a little in the MT class (apart from the straight left and straight right).

In my first class at kickboxing I got paired with a girl. She seemed pleased that I didnt go easy on her in the gloves drills (as other guys in the class do), guess some of those low kicks itched a little. Her low kicks surely did.

I got my ass handed to me at sparring (with two guys far more experienced and better than me, not to mention in better shape, and with the instructor). Anyway, I need sparring badly, oh so badly. Munchai is one for progression in training, so far, we havent sparred in any of his classes, he seems to be more focused on improving our technique. But he has asked us if we want to compete in the futere, some people said "yes", others, like me, said "well, we gotta see".

I now make a public oath to spar more in order to get rid of my suckiness, inspired by some members of this board. BTW, less members than you may think at first, if youre reading this, and think I was inspired by you, I probably wasnt.

Also, Ill lift weights three days per week. This seems a helluva lot training, but currently I only work on weekends (and night swift, for the worse), so I got plenty of time to rest. I know this kind of training will turn me in a unidimensional fighter at best, but currently I cant cross-train in any form of grappling/wrestling/whatever.

I have yet to ask the guy who acts as "agent" for Munchai on what happened in my former gym. Id like to get first hand informatuion on that supposed scam (posted in the first post), but as the guy was a friend, or at least got along well with the owner, Id rather approach him carefully. There are people at my current MT class who were at the gym then (I wasnt around there then, and have just met them), and may ask them too, if I get a chance to do so.

At this moment Im not sure that more information of a little scam in a neighbourhood gym in Spain is of any interest for anybody here on Bullshido, or if its pertinent for this sites mission, so Im not sure if there will be more updates in this thread. Anyway, I wont leave this aside, just for curiositys sake.

Posted On:
    2/12/2006 10:30am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That's great. Always good to keep things challenging - and remember, if you're not being beaten in sparring, you're not sparring the right people.

You might want to consider some boxing for your hands. Boxing is second to none for hands work.

Posted On:
    2/12/2006 6:59pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Aye, but the problem with boxing is that the footwork is quite different from kickboxing, I mean, once you have to worry about low kicks, and may be counter-productive.

Anyway, my kickboxing instructor phylosophy is tha kickboxing should be 60% of hands and 40% of kicks, so it is not like he neglets the hands or something. Also, it would serve me better to transtion from punches to kicks or viceversa.

And I foresee months of getting my ass kicked (and punched), so no worries about that.

Posted On:
    2/15/2006 12:17pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 柔道

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Congratulations. I'm happy you found a close and affordable gym.

BTW, in relation to this:

Quote Originally Posted by Lights Out
    In my first class at kickboxing I got paired with a girl. She seemed pleased that I didnt go easy on her in the gloves drills (as other guys in the class do), guess some of those low kicks itched a little. Her low kicks surely did.
    Gr4ppl3 h3r!!!!11!! :)

Posted On:
    3/05/2006 1:19am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    One last update.

I spoke to one of my MT companions, the one who is friends with the previous owner of the gym.

According to his version, the gym had to close to do repairs, that was true. Seems like a pipe broke or so. But the thing is, when they began to do the repairs, it costed too much, and as I said, the gym didnt make too much money for straters. In the last months prior to the finall closing, it had lost many clients, and the MA classes were almost empty.

So, the owner shut it for good.

Anyway, my current gym is way more successfull and is better managed. Im happy.

I know this last post is hardly relevant, but I wanted to present the other version of the story.

Maybe it wasn't a scam after all, or maybe it was... I guess there is not a lesson to be learned from this, apart from that you have to invest in your business and care for it if you wanna be sucessfull. I don't know. Sometimes **** happens.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12