Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    1/17/2006 11:22am

Join us... or die
     Style: 柔道

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by eyebeams
    I for one would like to see a demo of the relevant part of STAB, which is how they close the gap against the guy with the knife. If that works, than it works. If it doesn't work, then it's bullshitting its way through half the problem.
    Is the guy with the knife who is closing the gap.

Posted On:
    1/18/2006 2:11am

Style: Kickboxing/Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnought
    Why are you closing the gap instead of running?
    'Cause it's a little gap or I can't run. That's the point ofknife defenses other than running.

Posted On:
    1/18/2006 2:26am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DCS
    Is the guy with the knife who is closing the gap.
    So STAB is predicated on being stabbed a couple of times first? Don't get me wrong; I have no idea whether or not its a good program. All I'm saying is that getting control of the weapon hand is not a trivial detail. Sure, there are folks who might use big lunges, but smart folks will box with the knife instead. This makes controlling the weapon hand about as easy as controlling a hand that's punching. What's STAB's solution? I'd like to know, since this is something I tage as the major problem that comes up if you have to protect yourself from a knife and can't run.

By "gap," don't really mean something that always requires a shuffle. I'm talking about initially interrupting the knife on its way to my stabbable self.

The techniques I've experimented with using wood or rubber knives and alive techniques have usually bee successful when:

1) Part or all of my base has some distance. STAB seems to use this kind of position. I'm tempted to call in a A-frame kind of thing, but I don't know much about wrestling.

2) I use a parry followed by an immediate push in an opposite or perpendcular direction. This seem to work well for creating a safe opportunity to run, since I can get to the outside.

3) But it's still pretty risky.

Posted On:
    1/18/2006 6:32am

Join us... or die
     Style: 柔道

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Posted On:
    1/18/2006 11:22am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That's more like it. I think I can get behind that kind of method; it desn't contradict my own observations (get the base out of the way, get to the outside line if possible), and unlike other methods, it seems to have a way of narrowing the delivery of the attack, which partially answers my concerns.

My early cynicism comes in part from seeing that plenty of folks who would laugh at the idea of catching full speed punches in a hold all of the sudden treat it as a plausible thing once you put a knife in that hand.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/03/2006 1:25pm

Style: ASU Aikido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That sucked. It looked like my white belts working together. I would cut that guy to ribbons, or throw him through the wall. Pathetic.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123