Our Sponsors:

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 6789 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    2/15/2007 11:39am

hall of famestaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't doubt he could say speak a couple languages, however I would like to see him handle say six or so, without knowing which of these I would be selecting out of the ten he claims proficiency in.

For example if he speaks passible french and spanish that takes him to two quickly.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/04/2007 2:49am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Chris Clugston claims to have gone beyond JKD and Bruce Lee and redone all the techniques and stuff. I don't think it has much to do with regular (noncombat?) JKD. I have the Comhrac Bas set. He claims to have rediscovered Roman Gladiator fighting. Sure...

It is different, I'll give it that. Simple, gross motor skill techniques with weird names. Names like "Dinner Plate" and "Tossed Salad" or some crap like that (seriously). However, most of the techniques seem to assume that the other guy will be running at you full speed and punching. I don't know about the rest of you, but I don't tend to fight too many running punchers.

I also have the Savage Streetfighting set. I don't remember much about it, I only bought it as part of a TRS special and was running out of things to order that I'd actually want for a good price. I watched it once, and found it very boring and never watched it again. I remember there was a lot of grappling in it though.

Posted On:
    8/04/2007 1:37pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    LOL, I hope Chris does not find this thread. Or maybe I hope he does. If he does the law suit threats will follow shortly. That's always good for some comedy. I've seen this topic explode a few times at mma.tv and the local okfightnews.com boards. It got bad enough at one point that a challenge was made and accepted between Chris and a local MMA fighter who primarily is a grappler. They fought 3 rounds kickboxing in a Dale "Appolo" Cook show. I give Chris credit for actually doing the fight since he is over 40 and Ryan was probably only 21, but Chris did loose by decision. And Muay Thai is Chris's specialty.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/04/2007 5:30pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So "The Clug" lost in a decision. I think even though age may have been a factor, he was one of the ones that didn't care about age. On top of that, I always thought that his open challenge was supposed to be an all out fight with no rules, or at least NHB style.

Don't a lot of those TRS guys have open challenges? TRS should make them all fight in their own tournament and see who emerges victorious and then just promote those videos and enter the winner in UFC.

Posted On:
    8/04/2007 8:15pm

hall of famestaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Stoked
    LOL, I hope Chris does not find this thread. Or maybe I hope he does. If he does the law suit threats will follow shortly. That's always good for some comedy. I've seen this topic explode a few times at mma.tv and the local okfightnews.com boards. It got bad enough at one point that a challenge was made and accepted between Chris and a local MMA fighter who primarily is a grappler. They fought 3 rounds kickboxing in a Dale "Appolo" Cook show. I give Chris credit for actually doing the fight since he is over 40 and Ryan was probably only 21, but Chris did loose by decision. And Muay Thai is Chris's specialty.
    If he does ever find this thread and make such threats he will not be the first to do so, nor will he be the last.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/04/2007 8:38pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Then I think we should all file a counter lawsuit against him and TRS for saying that his system has "knocked the martial arts world on its ass!" or something similar.

Afterall, it kinda didn't. In fact since he lost in his "open challenge" I'd have to argue that the world of martial arts knocked him on his ass.

Posted On:
    8/04/2007 10:28pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There is Chris Clugston the "self defense marketing" guy and there is Chris Clugston the fighter from back in the day. There is even a record of a few of his boxing matches on the boxrec sight from the early 90s. He takes Muay Thai very seriously and puts a lot of effort into it. It's to bad that's not the types of videos he made. But then that probably isn't what sells. I don't think he hangs around Tulsa anymore due to bad feelings. And I know for sure he has a deep understanding of Spanish and probably dutch and Thai. I try to see the good in everyone so I won't comment on the claims of some of deadly moves like the"salad shooter". I really don't understand how stuff like this sells but it does apparently.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/05/2007 2:08am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That's weird. Although I never did see his Combat JKD series. Perhaps that is more kickboxing like. I always thought it was just like a precursor to Comhrac Bas.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/10/2007 12:27am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Generic Hoplology

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think I remember this guy trying to make some overtures years back to some of the people involved in Celtic martial arts revivalism. Comhrac Bas is some kind of Gaelic for "dance of death". No one could really understand why he would give a Gaelic, as opposed to a Latin name to an art that is supposedly that of Roman gladiators, but that was the least of the puzzlement he elicited. There also used to be another character, whose name I can't recall, who claimed to be Mensa member and an expert in an alleged ancient Irish martial art that had supposedly been passed down in his family since pagan times and which involved somehow using wooden chariot wheels as primary training aids (I'm not kidding!). He used to give very, uhm, sound advice like when facing a knife wielding opponent while unarmed, you should never, ever give up any ground but must always be rapidly advancing at them. This was all like ten years ago when CMAR was in it's infancy, yet somehow "bullshido" was already managing to rear it's ugly head in it. Go figure.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/27/2007 2:45am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Samuel Browning
    hi rallen88:

Since you used to bounce with Chris I would like to ask you one question so I can verify some of his other claims he's made in print. In one of his ads he claimed that he typically got into three nasty fights a weekend while bouncing. was that true for the location that you two worked at? If this was the case, could you please tell us the name of the bar in Tulsa, I would love to confirm that part of the story, perhaps by calling the local PD station, and asking them if this matched their memories of the place. thank you for writing in.
    OK, possibly the world's longest delay in responding to a post... 4+ yrs and wouldn't have found it but googled my username and hit this link.

Anyway, to answer your question Samuel Browning, I used to bounce with Chris at a little place at about 27th and S. Harvard called "IV Play". Just a little college dive close to TU and had cheap beer and loud music. Kind of looks like someone's house that is in decay. But a fun place.

Chris and I worked together there for about a total of 9 months (I was there before him and he was still there when I left in Dec 1995) Bouncing and bar fights (for anyone who has been involved in either one) are not impressive. Most of the time the A-holes causing problems could have been taken care of by my grandma. Most of the time. We did on occassion see someone walk in that was just there with an attitude and was looking for trouble.

The few times that I saw him actually have to scrap with anyone he was quick and efficient and does just what you would expect a ex-professional fighter to do with your typical barroom drunk. One or two shots and then done.

As to checking police records for history of fights and disturbances.... you probably won't find any. There was only one time that I recall back in those days that the TPD was ever called for a fight. The fight was over about 15 minutes before they arrived and there was no further problem. And it didn't involve Chris. Most other times the problem was taken care of and the drunk sent packing. Considering it was a college bar (frequented by the football team and the Tulsa Rugby Club no less...) there was surprisingly little trouble. It may have changed since then...

The post in question where I gave my impressions (pg 4 of this thread) were just my experiences with his product and what I knew of him. It was in no way an endorsement of his product or saying he's the next coming of Fedor. Just my honest impressions... Sorry about the long delay in returning to this post...:laughing7
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 6789 LastLast