Our Sponsors:

Page 38 of 38 FirstFirst ... 283435363738
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/27/2006 8:07am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    JFS, why do you wish you hadn't started Iron Palm? I have done it, and i have allways enjoyed the practice. Granted i never took it to a very high level. I mostly just hit the Mung Bean bag when I did it consistantly.

I generally use the striking pattern I got from a South Mantis guy who is not too far from me.
    Last edited by Royal Dragon; 1/27/2006 8:17am at .

Converter of Virgins

Posted On:
    1/27/2006 8:27am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: H'ung Ga & SPM

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Royal Dragon
    JFS, why do you wish you hadn't started Iron Palm? I have done it, and i have allways enjoyed the practice. Granted i never took it to a very high level. I mostly just hit the Mung Bean bag when I did it consistantly.

I generally use the striking pattern I got from a South Mantis guy who is not too far from me.
    I think it's a pain in the ass ... takes time away from refining my movements which is the only real area for improvement left for someone my age. I couldn't see blasting someone with it and then appearing in front of a Jury or Judge trying to argue I really didn't intend to crush the other guy's skull or face.

W/in the Southern tradition it was a "quick fix" solution to the problems associated with obtaining high eyebrows in Kung Fu ... time ... it took/takes too long for the needs at that point in time.

IP allows someone with a modest MA skill set to function/fight at a much higher level and do so pretty quick.

IP can be taken to a scary level if a person so desires. I just think its use as defined by the history of its creation has passed.

I'm the only Sifu in my Pai who has and does our complete IP method ... figures ... all the other Sifu were much smarter than me. I did it to keep the method from becoming lost w/in my Pai ... I was ... sooooo stoopid.

Dale uses a different approach in some regards and given his martial platform of choice it makes sense to me for him to pursue IP to the max. For what I do ... it just doesn't make much sense at all. I primarily issue power through the finger tips in real World.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/28/2006 10:43am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have allways seen it as a safety first type of thing, so you damage your opponent, and not yourself.

As for the high levels stuff, isn't the high level the same as the lower levels, just taken to a greater extreme? I mean, the training to break 3 bricks is the same as needed to break 10 right? You just spend a longer period of time following the same progression.

Isn't it the same as weight lifitng in a sense that the training to lift 600 pounds is the same to lift 200? The only difference is how long you have been following the progression...right?

Nothing for Show, All for use

Posted On:
    1/28/2006 12:10pm

supporting member
     Style: Jook Lum South Mantis,

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    RD,

Breaking is not really what the IP program is all about. Breaking seems to be the general publics judgement of the MA in general. They think breaking is the end all be all of the arts.

Over the years I have friends who are always asking me to break things.. Who cares how much brick I can break. All I care about is when I hit someone they go down or I break whatever I hit. Though for many, breaking is a gauge to see if your training correctly. There should not be ANY spacers, nor serious body drop when breaking. If so, then you are doing nothing more than transferring the momentum of your body weight which is then carried through the material. Hence you see all those ISKA guys on ESPN when they have breaking contests flying up and then dropping down on the material. One should slap the material and go through it.

But to answer your question: Breaking 3 bricks is no different than breaking more. Breaking 3 is what you would be doing after the first year of training. You should be able to break then with no effort other than focusing your intent through the material.

Breaking 6 or more means you should have been training your hand at least 3 years or more. You should have built you penetrating power to a degree that doesnt really matter what it is your hitting. Your going through it.

Like John(JFS) was saying, my method of hitting uses the palms more. Hence Im going to be training them all the time. I hit my hands at least once a day. How can anyone expect to hit anything and do damage if they do not train their hands in some fashion, i.e. heavy bag training without gloves, lifting weights without gloves, training the hands as they would be used in combat, without any thing on them.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/29/2006 2:24pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Dale Dugas,
    Agreed, especially about the "Gauge" comment. In fact, that is why i refrenced breaking in the first place.
Page 38 of 38 FirstFirst ... 283435363738