Baji demigod.

Posted On:
    1/16/2006 9:56am

Join us... or die
     Style: Chinese Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Beatdown Richie
    Obviously, the big question is, how much do you benefit by isolating these poses, especially if their actual purpose is shrouded in mystique and flowery language?
    Whoops. I was so mesmerized by the site of a guy in a Judo gi doing such a nice Taiji demonstration that I didn't notice the rhetorical questoin buried in there. Answer? Obviously very little if all you do is just stand there in them with no explanation or application.

Actual purpose is not shrouded in mystique for me. The 4 I mentioned, I have been taught specific uses for and been throw on my ass with but I still don't see what's wrong with flowery language. That's got great appeal for me especially since I can understand Chinese and have a working understanding of the culture, the mythology, literature etc. so those "flowery names" are pretty fucking cool to me. They are evocative and often give you clues about how to make things work better if you are paying attention. Besides, as a BJJ guy you really don't want to go there with the move names....fucking upa, lampa loompa...spider this and anaconda that, half crab and side of hollandaise sauce? What's with all the goofy animal styles and ****. Pu-lease. Google is like my secret decoder ring for those threads.
    Fighting evil and upholding justice in blue silk pajamas baby!
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=UGaYD_wcaIg

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6Uepo9ahg-M

Bah!!! Puny Humans.

game dog

Posted On:
    1/16/2006 9:57am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omar
    The first, second, third and fifth are all postures in my teachers Yang style Taiji.
    Care to enlighten us what they're used for in Yang style Taiji?
    The only one I can't really make sense of is the fourth.
    Probably because my form is too bad :-)
    There are no wrong threats, only wrong answers. (Strategy game truism)

I am a Ninja bitches!! Deal with it

Posted On:
    1/16/2006 10:09am

Join us... or die
     Style: Improv comedy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There's a whole BJJ ilooks gay thread. BJJ looks Gay to untrained and inexperienced eyes, the same way Kung Fu looks silly to non practioners. But if you can make it work who cares!

Kung FU and BJJ seemed to work very well for Luke Cummo on TUF against some good competition. And Luke came across as a serious 'inner chi" kung fu practioner who people wrote off until he steped in the ring and beat people in a very convincing manner.

game dog

Posted On:
    1/16/2006 10:12am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    besides, as a BJJ guy you really don't want to go there with the move names....fucking upa, lampa loompa...spider this and anaconda that, half crab and side of hollandaise sauce? What's with all the goofy animal styles and ****. Pu-lease. Google is like my secret decoder ring for those threads.
    LOL, true. Makes you wonder how the Chinese came up with all that stuff... some talented kung fu player develops a new technique and asks his buddies, "hey, look at this... now I need a funky name to market it, any suggestions?" - "how 'bout 'soaring eagle drops a turd'?" - "LOL, cool, I'll go with that!"

Baji demigod.

Posted On:
    1/16/2006 10:28am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    First one is slightly different but close enough to id it as a throw. I'm guessing your right leg is sweeping out both of the other guys legs or maybe is up in his groin...I'm still thinking both legs is more likely and you are throwing the person over your right shoulder or hip.

Second one: Set up for a suplex. There's another app with the hands closer to your belly and standing a bit more verticle but I still can't figure out how the hell my teacher does that one. The easy answer is suplex. In Shuai Jiao terms "embracing". In Chinese "bao".

Third pic: Actually half way between two postures in the Taiji form but not quite exactly like either one. One is "needle at the see bottom". That would be a throw ala Seionage ..but your hands are in the wrong position and you foot is out to far forward for something like that. The other one it matches pretty close is "lu" which is basically just an arm drag. The way your foot it pointed up like that says that you are probably dragging someone across your front leg so I'd say there's a trip in there.

Fifth: I actually have it backwards. The Taiji posture I was thinking it resembles throws the person the other way from what you are doing. You are turning counter-clockwise as you grab his ....right arm? Looks a little low for that...maybe behind the back with your right arm and his sleeve with your left? I was thinking at first glance of the second move in our form where you use your right leg to hook behind the other person's left leg. (He is facing you) As the leg hooks, your reach behind him on the right side and put your left hand on his chest and then pivot sharply to your right dumping him over your right leg. Not really the same move as what you are doing but the posture is pretty close and I was encouraged to experiment with the combination of the leg hook and the upper body embracing moving incircles in opposite directions.

How close did I come?
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

p.s.

Hey RD! Look!

Bow stance....
    Attached Images  
    Last edited by Omar; 1/16/2006 10:35am at .

Bah!!! Puny Humans.

game dog

Posted On:
    1/16/2006 10:42am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Omar: not bad at all.

1 is pretty much on target. It's supposed to be with the leg between the opponent's leg (thigh throw a.k.a. uchi mata), but sweeping both legs (harai goshi) would look very similar.

2 is correct, suplex a.k.a. ura nage.

Your last guess on 3 is correct: I'm on my opponent's side, reach around his hips and drag him backward over my leg. Tani-otoshi, or throw by sitting.

5 is quite accurate as well. It's supposed to be hane goshi, a hip throw variation. I reach under my opponent's left armpit with my right arm, grab his right sleeve with my left, enter like for a hiip throw, and lock my right foot inside his right knee for an extra "spring" during the throw. I never got that to work; too much fumbling with the leg position, and harai goshi is much easier.

Any takers for 4?

Baji demigod.

Posted On:
    1/16/2006 10:55am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Damn...I wish I could figure out 4. The other ones aren't really exactly like in the Taiji form but they are all close enough to recognize. For that 4th one though I got nothing to compare it too. I'm just drawing a blank. It's tempting to just go through Judoinfo.com untill I find a pic that matches but that would be cheating. lol.

Bah!!! Puny Humans.

Converter of Virgins

Posted On:
    1/16/2006 11:01am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: H'ung Ga & SPM

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dale Dugas
    I'm not going to spend the money to get there. Simple as that. But if I did, I'd be showing up on 'roids and amphetamines, bitch, and you can do what you want to me at that point, you ain't winning.

So you would resort like the rest of the total asswiping pussies of using drugs and performance enhancers rather than man up and see if your material works.

Your an asshole, dude. Typical repsponse from some dweeb who has no idea about real combat nor reality.

Just take some drugs(both of which are illegal) and that will make you the better person? Not, makes you the total turd for even mentioning crap like that.
    He could show up chemically enhanced to the max and it wouldn't matter. I've busted up 'roid boy muscle heads and meth fueled maniacs ... lots of that **** in the 1980s ... nothing I haven't had before.

He's typical ... fails to understand that when a body structure of main importance is destroyed all the attitude in the World, chemical or otherwise, isn't going to make it function then & there. Just another wannabe of the "I've had fights before." ilk. Sure he has, all of the "One guy was scared and the other glad of it." variety.

No matter ... he's all ready built his "out" ... another "I'm not showing up for _______ reason(s)." No idea why "they" even bother ... I'm going to call them out every time and unlike them ... I'm dead on serious about beating the **** out of them.

Children really shouldn't play with dangeous things. Some never learn until they get burned big time.

Converter of Virgins

Posted On:
    1/16/2006 11:08am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: H'ung Ga & SPM

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omar
    Damn...I wish I could figure out 4. The other ones aren't really exactly like in the Taiji form but they are all close enough to recognize. For that 4th one though I got nothing to compare it too. I'm just drawing a blank. It's tempting to just go through Judoinfo.com untill I find a pic that matches but that would be cheating. lol.
    Rotate your inner image of where your opponent is positioned "before" the shape was formed.

Several possibilities ... if he's inside he's pullled down & across ... I drive my rear knee into the back of his supporting leg. If he's outside he's pulled down, across & over.

Lots of possible solid uses for that particular shape ... might even view it as an analog of Tosses Out The Corpse ... all a matter of context in concert with skill level.

Baji demigod.

Posted On:
    1/16/2006 11:26am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Although I can visualize what you mean with "tosses out a corpse" I have never really been able to make that work. . . .not yet anyways.

The other suggestion is ironic because I posted a pic on the previous page which could be just a half second later in the same motion. Tai Otoshi. I think I was trying to hard to map it onto stuff I have been working on more recently and there's no real analog for Tai-Otoshi in the Taiji form I am familiar with although, ironically, there's something pretty close in Baji. I think when I see these freeze frames my mind is a bit prejudiced towards seeing the end position and I can maybe be a bit blind to some of the transitional states. I've got decent "bookmarks" in the middle but am still missing a lot of the pages that go between them.

Bah!!! Puny Humans.