Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Injury Waiting To Happen

Posted On:
    1/15/2006 6:01pm

supporting member
     Style: Snatch Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No, I think wasting a bunch of time developing crap that's not necessary is...

Everybody was Kung Fu fighting

Posted On:
    1/15/2006 6:16pm

supporting member
     Style: Tai Chi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Which stuff do you think is unnecessary ? Or is it that the CMA stuff you're hearing described is an inefficient way to develop it ?
    !!RENT SPACE HERE FOR 10 VBUCKS PER LINE PER MONTH!!

!! PM ME FOR SPEEDY SERVICE !!

Sponsored by our first customer: Repulsive Monkey

I <3 Sirc.

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    1/15/2006 6:18pm

supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    one thing that keeps coming to mind with me when people say "such and such is just an exercise" is that

this

is kung fu, however,

this

is not boxing. On this thread, one of the digs on royal dragon's "nemesis" is that he can't perform certain postures correctly... but who would really care much if a boxer wasn't a particularily good jump roper or speed bagger? The "exercises" in this context seem to be seen as a reflection of a person's ability in the style, whereas the exercises in boxing... are just exercises.
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/15/2006 6:27pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The issue is that the BODY STRUCTURE developed by those postures IS used in fighting! If he can't perform them in the stationary stances, how can he be doing so moving, agianst a fully resisting and agressive opponent at that?

It's the structure that gives the stability, in any stance, or moving transition. If one does not have it, then they do not have the balance and stability for use thier strength to the fullest potential.

It's a matter of wasteing your strength fighting YOUR own body, or USEING it against your opponent. That crosses ALL fighting lines and is just as valid for Boxing, MMA as it is for any TMA from any country. Just look at any good Tai Boxer, they all show the same structure here. I'm sure they have thier own ways to develop it, but in the end it is still there.

Posted On:
    1/15/2006 6:28pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, CMA styles often seem to contain a set of exercises for yoga-like or other attribute development purposes as part an parcel of the style. What these are and how you're supposed to do them vary between styles. As far as postures for perfect form go, well, what would you think of a boxer who was demonstrating a right-cross against a bag and kept hitting with his wrist at some goofy angle ? you'd have doubts about how well he could really box, wouldn't you ?

If somebody who you know to be able to fight with their CMA training says 'ouch, that looks like crappy form' then it's worth listening, isn't it ?

I <3 Sirc.

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    1/15/2006 6:30pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cullion
    Well, CMA styles often seem to contain a set of exercises for yoga-like or other attribute development purposes as part an parcel of the style. What these are and how you're supposed to do them vary between styles. As far as postures for perfect form go, well, what would you think of a boxer who was demonstrating a right-cross against a bag and kept hitting with his wrist at some goofy angle ? you'd have doubts about how well he could really box, wouldn't you ?

If somebody who you know to be able to fight with their CMA training says 'ouch, that looks like crappy form' then it's worth listening, isn't it ?

so now you're saying it's not "just an exercise" anymore than hitting pads? I really have a hard time picturing most of the things he's doing being used in a fight...
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    1/15/2006 6:32pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Royal Dragon
    It's a matter of wasteing your strength fighting YOUR own body, or USEING it against your opponent. That crosses ALL fighting lines and is just as valid for Boxing, MMA as it is for any TMA from any country. Just look at any good Tai Boxer, they all show the same structure here. I'm sure they have thier own ways to develop it, but in the end it is still there.
    I really don't know what you're talking about

Injury Waiting To Happen

Posted On:
    1/15/2006 6:35pm

supporting member
     Style: Snatch Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Which stuff do you think is unnecessary ?
    Any stance besides boxing or MT stance.

The issue is that the BODY STRUCTURE developed by those postures IS used in fighting! If he can't perform them in the stationary stances, how can he be doing so moving, agianst a fully resisting and agressive opponent at that?
    My issue is that he shouldn't EVER be in ANY of those positions in ANY fight EVER.

It's the structure that gives the stability, in any stance, or moving transition. If one does not have it, then they do not have the balance and stability for use thier strength to the fullest potential.
    I agree, but different end goals require different structures. My end goal is control. Not to end the fight by striking, but to control my opponent in the most direct and overwhelming way possible. So I use Arona's shitty standup posture, because it facilitates punching and grappling at the same time. It does not need to be "good posture" for striking, because striking is something I use really to facilitate grappling, not the other way around.

software engineer

Posted On:
    1/15/2006 6:36pm

supporting member
     Style: kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kidspatula
    How many Thai boxers are taught to use Arona's stance? That's what he means I think.

Posted On:
    1/15/2006 6:41pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kidspatula
    Have a look at JFS posts about how stuff like bowed-back, hips tucked in etc.. relate to how some CMAs generate power.

I <3 Sirc.