Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Everybody was Kung Fu fighting

Posted On:
    1/15/2006 3:21pm

supporting member
     Style: Tai Chi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Boyd, that was an intelligent post. Here's why even the people who claim (and can back it up) that they do train with full contact sparring, don't all have total agreement about how to do different movements and why you should do them:-

We all do different styles and have different levels of experience. When you think of 'kung fu', it's not a single martial art. It's not even a bunch of closely related styles in the manner that 'karate' describes a bunch of very simillar styles with common kata between them. It's a generic term for hundreds of often completely different looking martial arts that have their origins in China.
    !!RENT SPACE HERE FOR 10 VBUCKS PER LINE PER MONTH!!

!! PM ME FOR SPEEDY SERVICE !!

Sponsored by our first customer: Repulsive Monkey

I <3 Sirc.

One Ambulance, Eleven Cops...

Posted On:
    1/15/2006 3:27pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    1 out of 2 Chinese kung fu "Masters" agree...

Anyway,

Why do I hold stances for time?

Leg strengthening and conditioning. (for manuvering, taking hits, kicking, punching, etc.)

So who says holding stances serves a different purpose?
    “We are surrounded by warships and don’t have time to talk. Please pray for us.” — One Somali Pirate.

Injury Waiting To Happen

Posted On:
    1/15/2006 3:57pm

supporting member
     Style: Snatch Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This post is directed at JFS.

JFS, you missed about every point I was making there, intentionally, and just want a flame war because I don't ride the same nuts you do...so **** you. You can go ahead and use that MOTHERFUCKING BULLSHIT in "transition" and it will get you FUCKING STOMPED the same as if you'd done it ANY OTHER TIME.

I sparred with a guy with decades of experience in Kung Fu recently, I didn't ask what flavour of BULLSHIT he was subscribing to, but I'll be sure to ask his BITCH ass, so I can tell you CMA BITCHES.

He broke one of my knuckles and gave me a black eye, and then he was finished. I am NOT an expert grappler, or an expert ANYTHING, but I could still overwhelm a guy STRONGER AND FASTER THAN ME BECAUSE HIS BASE FUCKING SUCKED AND IF YOU CAN'T GET THAT CONCEPT THROUGH YOUR RETARDED SKULL, THAT YOU DON'T JUST WANT GOOD BASE, IT IS ABSOLUTELY FUCKING NECESSARY, THEN YOU ALLOW ME TO CHOOSE WHAT I WANT TO DO. I can CURB STOMP YOU if I want to and you will have **** TO DO ABOUT IT.

****, I could literally **** YOU and you couldn't do **** about it if you want to move off base like that. Whenever I see somebody do something so monumentally FUCKING STUPID it hurts my head, but it hurts their head worse in the end, so that's my consolation, that if you ever actually fight somebody who has decent base, they will fucking RAPE you.

You call me a "n00b", well tell me, what's it feel like to know a "n00b" could take you manhood and your life, strictly because you're such a fucking IDIOT!?

Flame on.

"I'll **** you 'till you love me, ******!"

-Mike Tyson
    Last edited by Roidie McDouchebag; 1/15/2006 4:15pm at .

OFFICIAL Mayor of Cwcville

Posted On:
    1/15/2006 4:33pm

supporting member
     Style: Electricity, Speed

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cullion
    We all do different styles and have different levels of experience. When you think of 'kung fu', it's not a single martial art. It's not even a bunch of closely related styles in the manner that 'karate' describes a bunch of very simillar styles with common kata between them. It's a generic term for hundreds of often completely different looking martial arts that have their origins in China.
    See, I don't think it's that, though. In the few years I spent studying Isshin-Ryu I encountered a lot of the **** I'm seeing right now, only in person. In a short period of time I saw people argue and bitch and theorize and politik about something as simple as a basic stance. Even when visiting another school from the same lineage there'd be people saying "...but what they don't understand is that the stance is REALLY used for this!". Hell, even within my own school I'd sometimes get conflicting viewpoints on why we chambered our punches, or what the application of a cross-stance was. Now granted, my dojo was pretty atrocious, even by karate standards, but given the apalling levels of similarity I'm seeing between the arguments they used and the arguments I've seen CMAists used, I highly doubt this is all a matter of chance.

Like I said, key issue here isn't that people are disagreeing; that's normal and healthy. The issue here is that the training and teaching methods utilized by so many Chinese martial arts are apparently so shrouded in mysterioso that it's created an environment where this level of confusion and bickering is not only commonplace, but a fundamental part of its being. The problem isn't with this current crop of students or the previous ones, with America or with China, with capitalism or with Communism, but the people and the culture that permitted such vague, mystical teachings to be considered acceptable, and the students that continue to accept it.
    Captain's Log: Just a little update for all my TRUE and HONEST friends out there:

1) I am STRAIGHT! I am STRAIGHT! Get it through your thick skulls, numbskulls!

2) My name is not Ian Brandon Something.

3) Kacey is coming with me now. I have stolen her from the other Christian Weston Chandler.

REMINDER: I am still the one and only true creator of sonichu and rosechu electric hedgehog pokemon

Posted On:
    1/15/2006 4:42pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You may have a point. However, as I know in real life that people where I train can beat me up and have won competitions, I'm sticking with it.

Edit: The easy way to tell if they know what their stuff is for is to see whether and how they spar and see what their track record is fighting people from other styles, like any other MA. Many CMA schools I've heard about would fail immediately on that, it's true, but the stuff that's left is worth a look.
    Last edited by Cullion; 1/15/2006 4:44pm at .

I <3 Sirc.

Injury Waiting To Happen

Posted On:
    1/15/2006 4:53pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That's sort of like saying:

"Here, take a bite of this chocolate bar. There's a 9/10 chance it's actually **** and not chocolate, but if it IS chocolate and you DON'T eat it, won't you feel foolish?"

Posted On:
    1/15/2006 5:01pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The thing is, you're talking about a 9/10 chance of putting a turd in your mouth. I'm talking about a 9/10 or whatever chance of wasting an hour or two watching/participating in an MA class which isn't for you.

I <3 Sirc.

Moron

Posted On:
    1/15/2006 5:12pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Boyd
    See, I don't think it's that, though. In the few years I spent studying Isshin-Ryu I encountered a lot of the **** I'm seeing right now, only in person. In a short period of time I saw people argue and bitch and theorize and politik about something as simple as a basic stance.

(SNIP)

The problem isn't with this current crop of students or the previous ones, with America or with China, with capitalism or with Communism, but the people and the culture that permitted such vague, mystical teachings to be considered acceptable, and the students that continue to accept it.

Where is the mystery?

The people who argue about a basic stance, that say its for training, for strengthening, for tolerance of pain, transitional or for fighting whatever are all correct.

I posted about Mr_Mantis thinking that holding stance is about 'Leg strengthening and conditioning', then I deleted it because although I disagree, in his training he may be correct.

In your boxing, if someone on an ego trip, someone who you respect, insisted that you keep your hands covering your chin when sparring only to stop your chin getting cold, doesn’t make keeping your hands up worth any less

Injury Waiting To Happen

Posted On:
    1/15/2006 5:16pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The thing is, you're talking about a 9/10 chance of putting a turd in your mouth. I'm talking about a 9/10 or whatever chance of wasting an hour or two watching/participating in an MA class which isn't for you.
    Eating turds < Wasting vast amounts of time

Posted On:
    1/15/2006 5:38pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You think an hour or two to check out a club near where you live, recommended by two bullshido posters is a vast amount of time ? I don't.

I <3 Sirc.