Posted On:
    1/15/2006 3:55am

supporting member
     Style: Tai Chi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by hedgehogey
    Let me illustrate this for you.

On a scale of one to one thousand, where 1,000 means Peter Aerts, Diesel Noi or Muhammed Ali at the peak of their careers, my standup is 25. Arona's standup is maybe 200.

The standup of anybody who does those postures, possibly including you...well, a team of highly paid mathemeticians have been working diligently for years to figure out how the number "minus infinity kajillion" can exist.
    Are you saying to me that people who do forms with those postures in don't win full contact competitions ?

Think before you answer.
    !!RENT SPACE HERE FOR 10 VBUCKS PER LINE PER MONTH!!

!! PM ME FOR SPEEDY SERVICE !!

Sponsored by our first customer: Repulsive Monkey

I <3 Sirc.

Injury Waiting To Happen

Posted On:
    1/15/2006 3:57am

supporting member
     Style: Snatch Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Care to name any instead of leaving that bullshit dangling like that?

Everybody was Kung Fu fighting

Posted On:
    1/15/2006 3:59am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Every Kyokushin BB you ever saw. Thousands of San Da competitors. You really don't think this **** through, do you ?

I <3 Sirc.

Injury Waiting To Happen

Posted On:
    1/15/2006 4:11am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No, I didn't think that CRAP through AT ALL. You posted a meaningless sentence and I commented on its lack of meaning, that's IT. Really though, **** right off. Kyokushin is not Fruit-Fu, no matter how much you want to attach yourself to legit strikers.

San Da is reaching a little bit. Kyokushin is reaching across the fucking ocean, LITERALLY.

Furthermore, if I saw a Kyokushin guy in some retarded pose, I would say "Dude, that's a retarded pose, WTF is that for?" the same as anybody.

Posted On:
    1/15/2006 4:17am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by I Choke You
    No, I didn't think that CRAP through AT ALL. You posted a meaningless sentence and I commented on its lack of meaning, that's IT. Really though, **** right off. Kyokushin is not Fruit-Fu, no matter how much you want to attach yourself to legit strikers.

San Da is reaching a little bit. Kyokushin is reaching across the fucking ocean, LITERALLY.

Furthermore, if I saw a Kyokushin guy in some retarded pose, I would say "Dude, that's a retarded pose, WTF is that for?" the same as anybody.
    KK practitioners do forms with CMA origins. San Da is just a set of competition rules, and lots of tournaments have been won by people doing 'traditional' styles with forms. It's no stretch at all, you just don't know what the **** you're talking about.

I <3 Sirc.

Injury Waiting To Happen

Posted On:
    1/15/2006 4:27am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was going to say "Chuck Liddel" but that would've done your work for you, but you couldn't do it on your own, so there you go.

Does he actually use those stances when he trains anymore? Oh **** no.

Is your arguement still more holey than Swiss cheese? Oh **** yes.

Anyway, I know a guy who would kick the ass of damn near everybody on this thread, if not this forum. He does Kenpo, and I've seen him go through his kata, he's real fast and powerful, and damn does it ever look impressive. I've also seen him fight...and use Muay Thai, and wrestling to dismantle people. He doesn't use Kenpo when he really fights. He could, and in a self defence situation, some of the elbow and hand strikes would probably help him a little, but when it comes down to it, against a skilled opponent, he invariably falls back on the most effective techniques in his arsenal, and none of them are from Kenpo.

Posted On:
    1/15/2006 4:32am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by I Choke You
    I was going to say "Chuck Liddel" but that would've done your work for you, but you couldn't do it on your own, so there you go.
    I'm not talking about Chuck Liddel. I'm talking about San Da fighters with 'traditional' backgrounds and Kyokushin competitors.

Is your arguement still more holey than Swiss cheese? Oh **** yes.
    Nope, there are thousands of people competing succesfully in full contact who still do forms. It's an undisputed fact. You lose.

I <3 Sirc.

Injury Waiting To Happen

Posted On:
    1/15/2006 5:00am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Exercise, for its own sake, and only its own sake is fine.

Kata that MEAN something, like shadow boxing, are fine.

But bullshit is bullshit and I will not give it another label.

I use "forms" I shadow box all the time, but I can apply that form DIRECTLY to fighting. The only difference is that my punches will hit a person instead of air. I don't stand on one leg, hop up and down, THEN try to shadow box. Would it improve my balance? Sure. Could I apply it to fighting? ****, NO!

Posted On:
    1/15/2006 5:07am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I use "forms" I shadow box all the time, but I can apply that form DIRECTLY to fighting. The only difference is that my punches will hit a person instead of air. I don't stand on one leg, hop up and down, THEN try to shadow box. Would it improve my balance? Sure.
    If you read back you'll see me making the point that not all forms/katas whatever are intended as shadow-boxing type training, but are often sequences of exercise movements (stretches, work on balance, strengthening legs) strung together in a routine.

There are lots of people who do these things and compete succesfully in full contact who obviously don't think that forms could replace, or even serve the same purpose as, padwork and sparring. This is why I think that using pictures of weird postures to attack CMA is a strawman unless you know that the guy in the picture thinks he is going to use some kind of 'drunken rooster golden flying cock' stance in a fight. He might just be doing it for the same reason Frank Shamrock does yoga. Lots of kung fu styles include these kinds of exercises within the system and the problem is that crappy practitioners who don't spar get them confused for fighting techniques.

Could I apply it to fighting? ****, NO!
    If you read back you'll see me agreeing with that.

I <3 Sirc.

Injury Waiting To Happen

Posted On:
    1/15/2006 5:24am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you read back you'll see me making the point that not all forms/katas whatever are intended as shadow-boxing type training, but are often sequences of exercise movements (stretches, work on balance, strengthening legs) strung together in a routine.
    If you read my post where I said exercise for its own sake is fine, then you'd know that I think exercise for its own sake is fine.

This is why I think that using pictures of weird postures to attack CMA is a strawman unless you know that the guy in the picture thinks he is going to use some kind of 'drunken rooster golden flying cock' stance in a fight.
    But...he said that! Royal Dragon said that he would use some of that stuff while fighting, that's what I thought was silly. Stances like that just give you shitty base. There was no straw man, there was a real man!

Then you go posting about "fighters who use my stances" who gives a ****? If it doesn't relate to fighting, what's it doing on a thread concerning FIGHTING?
Page 13 of 38 FirstFirst ... 3910111213 1415161723 ... LastLast