Baji demigod.

Posted On:
    1/14/2006 5:23am

Join us... or die
     Style: Chinese Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Osiris
    No, I meant those corny twisty stances. They SUCK.
    Specific post or pic please.
    Fighting evil and upholding justice in blue silk pajamas baby!
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=UGaYD_wcaIg

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6Uepo9ahg-M

Bah!!! Puny Humans.

Gnarly King of Half-Guard

Posted On:
    1/14/2006 10:27am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Phrost
    Arona strikes with his chin WAY up. Bad idea.
    Might his comedy boxing actually help with the takedowns? It's such an open invitation to punch him in the chin that no one can resist, which makes an opening for a double leg...

OFFICIAL Mayor of Cwcville

Posted On:
    1/14/2006 12:09pm

supporting member
     Style: Electricity, Speed

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Omar:

Os is just riding Hedge's coattails. There are absolutely no horrible comedy stances at all in this thread. Nor is there any hidden bonus comedy from a man in a cliched kung-fu pose with zero relation to fighting criticizing an MMA fighter for having square shoulders. And it CERTAINLY was in no way indicative of the convoluted non-logic that comes standards issue with practicing a CMA that a man can sit in a stance with his arms flailed in crazy directions, his chin up, one foot off the ground hooked behind his knee, and somehow claim he's learning "principles of movement" because his shoulders are rounded.
    Captain's Log: Just a little update for all my TRUE and HONEST friends out there:

1) I am STRAIGHT! I am STRAIGHT! Get it through your thick skulls, numbskulls!

2) My name is not Ian Brandon Something.

3) Kacey is coming with me now. I have stolen her from the other Christian Weston Chandler.

REMINDER: I am still the one and only true creator of sonichu and rosechu electric hedgehog pokemon

Posted On:
    1/14/2006 12:10pm

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have more standup credentials than Hedge, and yeah, those stances are ridiculous.

As far as Arona goes, there are always exceptions to the rule. Arona is a MASSIVE middleweight. Size lets you get away with a lot of crap. Think of how awesome Arona would be if he stuck to the fundamentals like Nogueira does.

OFFICIAL Mayor of Cwcville

Posted On:
    1/14/2006 12:10pm

supporting member
     Style: Electricity, Speed

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was being sarcastic, by the way.
    Captain's Log: Just a little update for all my TRUE and HONEST friends out there:

1) I am STRAIGHT! I am STRAIGHT! Get it through your thick skulls, numbskulls!

2) My name is not Ian Brandon Something.

3) Kacey is coming with me now. I have stolen her from the other Christian Weston Chandler.

REMINDER: I am still the one and only true creator of sonichu and rosechu electric hedgehog pokemon

Everybody was Kung Fu fighting

Posted On:
    1/14/2006 12:24pm

supporting member
     Style: Tai Chi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't have credentials in standup or ground (a few months full contact standup training recently resumed). I do a CMA.

I can't imagine trying to fight from those postures. I've always been told that they were mostly exercises of sorts (stretches and strengthening for the legs).
    !!RENT SPACE HERE FOR 10 VBUCKS PER LINE PER MONTH!!

!! PM ME FOR SPEEDY SERVICE !!

Sponsored by our first customer: Repulsive Monkey

I <3 Sirc.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/14/2006 1:37pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have used them myself in sparring. The twisyed stance is some thing I fall into when in trouble from time to time. I basically drop down into it by jambing the lower leg between thiers and unwinding. The unwiding jambs me through thier hips and knocks them off balance and allows me to escape and start the game fresh again.

I know a guy who uses it as part of a set up to get side kicks in. It works well for him, but not for me in that respect. I have also seen Shui Chuio guys use it in throws, just different variations.

Baji demigod.

Posted On:
    1/14/2006 4:00pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Chinese Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Phrost
    I have more standup credentials than Hedge, and yeah, those stances are ridiculous..
    The relative value or worthelessness of RD's stances has nothing to do with Hedge being a retard. I attacked Hedge for saying that people who train CMA have no business criticising a pro fighter's stand up game. If you can explain how a BJJ blue belt is more qualified to talk about stand up punching and kicking than a "kung fu guy" I'll reconsider.

Os and Boyd both: Completely irrelevant rebuttals.
    Fighting evil and upholding justice in blue silk pajamas baby!
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=UGaYD_wcaIg

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6Uepo9ahg-M

Bah!!! Puny Humans.

Tsun-Derrorist

Posted On:
    1/14/2006 4:58pm

supporting member
     Style: ^_^

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omar
    You suggested that somehow there was something humourous about a Kung Fu guy criticising a fighters stand up game.
    If you can't see the humor, i'm afraid, sir, that you are actually a robot.

Your stand up credentials? Zero.

It doesn't matter wether you resepect my opinion or not. You made a broad, illogical, generally retarded generalization. As a BJJ blue what the **** are YOU doing trying to evaluate their standup game. From what we have seen so far you couldn't punch your way out of the proverbial wet paper bag. You competed in a Muay Thai match? Kickboxing? Anything at all that involved standing up and duking it out with someone? Your blue belt doesn't mean **** around here if the topic is a fighters punching style.
    Amazingly enough, neither does RD's X number of years doing ridiculous squatting arm flails. In fact, neither of us are qualified to criticize Arona's standup game, because neither of us compete on that level.

In fact, despite my being perhaps the world's worst boxer, my time in muay thai has at least exposed me to sparring with actual MMA fighters.

At the very least, I understand why any criticism I might offer to Arona would be useless.

RD (and you, by implication), however, is so locked in his little LARP session where trying to imitate the way a crane takes a dump teaches "principles" that he thinks he brings something helpful and relevant to the table.

He doesn't, you don't, and the "stances" on this thread only evoke a crushing sense of shame and emberassment for everyone forced to look at them.

And how are the respected stand up fighters around here anyways?
    Well I can give you one hint: You are not on that list.

http://www.bullshido.net/forums/atta...&stc=1&thumb=1

What's you point? To use your own puny brained logic....don't you think it's ridiculous that an amateur Jujitsu guy is trying to critique a 10 years+ Kung Fu guys training technique? So you might as well STFU now and pack your bags little man as you are in no position to comment on stuff you have basically ZERO experience in. <----Your own logic there, not mine.
    I'm far from the best striker.

This person, however, through publically showing the horrible contortions he puts himself through in his living room while wearing the classic Bruce Lee nutrider sweatpants, appears to actually have a negative knowledge of striking.

So again.....what exactly about any of the posts on the MMA fighters lousy posture do you have an issue with? So far the only complaint you've lodged was that there were CMA people included in the criticism.
    The concept of you or RD attempting to criticize Arona is itself comedy gold.

"The only important elements in any society
    are the artistic and the criminal,
    because they alone, by questioning the society's values,
    can force it to change."-Samuel R. Delany

RENDERING GELATINOUS WINDMILL OF DICKS

THIS IS GOING TO BE THE BEST NON-EUCLIDIAN SPLATTERJOUST EVER

It seems that the only people who support anarchy are faggots, who want their pathetic immoral lifestyle accepted by the mainstream society. It wont be so they try to create their own.-Oldman34, friend to all children

Everybody was Kung Fu fighting

Posted On:
    1/14/2006 5:12pm

supporting member
     Style: Tai Chi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Can we have a recap on who actually thinks those stylised postures are for fighting ?

RD mentioned he's used one in sparring. Other CMA people with experience that I know in person and on this board seem to think the stylised versions of stuff like the 'twist stance' are for doing yoga-like stretching and strengthening, so to keep saying 'huh, but you can't fight like that' seems to be a bit of a strawman attack to me.
    !!RENT SPACE HERE FOR 10 VBUCKS PER LINE PER MONTH!!

!! PM ME FOR SPEEDY SERVICE !!

Sponsored by our first customer: Repulsive Monkey

I <3 Sirc.
Page 10 of 38 FirstFirst ... 678910 1112131420 ... LastLast