Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/08/2006 1:54pm

Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

SLT Wing Chun

I bought a book called "Wing Chun Kung Fu" by Grandmaster Ip Chun with Michael Tse. Is this a good or bad buy?

And has anybody here gained notable skill thanks to the first form (most basic)? I'm thinking it would benefit me if I did the form at natural speeds, at all times. I plan on doing it daily.

Thanks.

Posted On:
    1/08/2006 3:31pm

Style: Sanda, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You'll gain little by doing a WC form from a book. Actually you'll gain little from practicing forms in general. I would suggest enlisting in a local school for hands on training. Books are good as supplements, but can't come close to replacing actual training.

I would also suggest taking interest in a style other than WC since finding good WC is difficult these days.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/08/2006 4:37pm

Style: Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wing Chun forms are mostly technique libraries. It's good to practice the Siu Nim Tao form once a day so you don't forget the content. It also contains some chi kung, so it is a good thing to practice often.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/08/2006 8:02pm

Style: WSL Wing Chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The first form is important and useful if you realise what it's for and if it's done properly.
    It is largely for building in reflexes. It trains "springy energy" and includes most of the basic elements of the system. Unfortunately, unless you have a good instructor, it can be difficult to appreciate everything the form has to offer, and it is indeed easy to misinterpret certain parts of it (eg the pak sau at the end of the first section).
    But if you can find a good instructor, WC is good and the first form is indeed very beneficial, in fact, crucial. You will actually notice a change in your natural reflexes.

However, yes, I agree do not try to learn it from a book. Firsthand instruction is quite important. Trust me, no one can get any good at Wing Chun from reading a book.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/08/2006 8:03pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh, and I forgot. The first section (tan sao, wu sao, fuk sao) must be practised slowly to gain any real benefit. For the form to be any real use, it should take at least 10-15 minutes to go through.

"I feel naked I was so distracted by your penis"

DETROIT WHAT! (and surrounding upper-class burbs)

Posted On:
    1/10/2006 2:12pm

Style: Ving Tsun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tabogganwheel
    Oh, and I forgot. The first section (tan sao, wu sao, fuk sao) must be practised slowly to gain any real benefit. For the form to be any real use, it should take at least 10-15 minutes to go through.
    Holy crap! I think our longest form time has been about 7 minutes total. 15 for the first section? (Then again, we did do nearly 30 minutes of punching once... fun!)

Anyway, about the book, it won't really help. For most martial art kata you are trying to learn the "form" or the "choreography". For WC/VT you learn the reflex, gravity, weight, tension, *relaxation*, "energy", structure, etc., etc., etc. You simply won't learn that out of a book.

As my sifu says, to someone who has never seen water, you cannot simply explain it. When it is presented to them, then maybe you can tell them a little about it, but they'll figure most of it out on their own by getting wet.

Dagon

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/10/2006 9:37pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    7 minutes ain't too bad. I meant 10-15 for the whole form...

It's pretty beat up, but it is a complete copy....

Posted On:
    1/10/2006 9:48pm

supporting member
     Style: EBMAS WT/ Latosa Concepts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The third section involving Tan and fook, ending with palm strike, should be done so slowly that the movement can not be seen!! 15 minutes is a minimum. 30 to 45 is more like it. but that is just one way to do it for focus and strength. It is like the old Charles Atlas body building isometrics exercises.

You can also do it a regular speed as it would be done in fighting.

As to the book, find a teacher to go with it.....

"If anything is gained from this, it should be you both wanting to get better so you can make up for how crappy you are now." KidSpatula about the Sirc vs DTT Gong Sau Event
    Until the Bulltube is fixed:
    DTT vs Sirc

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/10/2006 10:02pm

Style: Arnis, WC, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Like what he said ^^ :D

I have done the SLT over 45 minutes before. You can treat it as a Chi Kung exercise. The middle section where you move from tan sa, jut sau, wu sau, drag slowly back, fook sau, to wu sau, 3 times... you do this over a number of long breaths. Its an isometric exercise for developing core strength and the legs.

SLT is also a form that introduces the basic WC concepts of centreline, and the basic defensive hands.

However applying the ideas of WC to create your own fighting skills requires sparring. No form alone will give you this.

A better form to do as fast as you can is the Chum Kil form.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    1/11/2006 8:30pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Wing Chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    We also have a long version of hte SLT form...right around 45 minutes.

I'd personally much rather skip class and drink whiskey than spend 45 minutes doing the 1st form.

Not saying there is no benefit from doing it...I'm just a busy guy...and I'm not going to spend that much of my training time doing a form.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast