Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    1/07/2006 1:01pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Latosa Escrima classes once a week? Does that work?

:5yo:

Any guys with Escrima experience out there? If so, I have a question for you. I just heard about a Latosa Escrima class in the NorthWest Miami area on Saturdays only. The class is about 1 1/2 hour at $15 per class. The school's website is this : http://www.ebmasflorida.com/classes.html

For one thing, this is cool (well, kinda) because it's on my way to my parents and sisters homes down in Miami which I visit every Saturday - so the day, time and location is extremelly convenient, plus it seems affordable.

BUT...

Is it really feasible to learn Escrima with only one 1 1/2 hour lesson per week???? I'm gonna check it out next Saturday, plus the instructor e-mailed me back offering a no-obligation charge-free first class. So I'm gonna do it, plus it's just $15 bucks for something new.

However, I wanna be pragmatic and know what I can expect or not from this 1-class-per-week approach. If any of you guys have any experience with Escrima or with class arragenments like this, I'd appreciate your feedback.

Thanks,

Luis.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Ex-ninja

Posted On:
    1/07/2006 8:52pm

Style: Muso Shinden Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes. You'll be able to practice a lot of your strikes and stuff against a standard punching bag, and do exercises to build up wrist strength and accuracy on your own. Get a friend and teach them basic exercises and have them be a good sparring partner/technique dummy for doing things like disarms and so they can feed you attacks to work on defenses and combinations.

Then, make the most of your once a week session by paying attention, taking good notes, and working your ass off.
    --
    L.

It's pretty beat up, but it is a complete copy....

Posted On:
    1/07/2006 9:36pm

supporting member
     Style: EBMAS WT/ Latosa Concepts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I teach it and have taken lessons from Si-Fu Emin and Rene Latosa since 1998. It can be learned with one lesson a week, but ofcoarse more often is better!

Alot of it is self-developement of the movements, so if you practice on your own time it will be fine. As you get better, you will find partners to train with where ever you are.

As to usin a heavy bag, LWS starts with stopping hits just before contact, to develope control, so in the beginning, you only need the time to do it and the drive to use that time....

PM me if you ever have any specific questions....

"If anything is gained from this, it should be you both wanting to get better so you can make up for how crappy you are now." KidSpatula about the Sirc vs DTT Gong Sau Event
    Until the Bulltube is fixed:
    DTT vs Sirc

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/07/2006 10:45pm

Style: FMA & judo-ultra noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, I take about a 1.5-2 hr class 1x a week (soon to be 2x as soon as he starts a sunday class) but then I practice the new techniques when I'm standing around at work, watching tv, at the bank, at the mall, whenever. I must look totally retarded doing it but my teacher told me you really have to take the bull by the horns and seek to learn it in the off time between classes to become proficient. In that respect, it's also obvious who does what I do and who just goes 1x a week and is done with it - the ones who constantly train are quickly moving away from the pack.

Posted On:
    1/07/2006 11:28pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Heres a couple pics of a Latosa Escrima Sequence. It illustrates transition, where the same moves from training transfers to any weapon or even empty hand.

"If anything is gained from this, it should be you both wanting to get better so you can make up for how crappy you are now." KidSpatula about the Sirc vs DTT Gong Sau Event
    DTT vs Sirc

Posted On:
    1/08/2006 11:38am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hmmm, guys, I'm sold. I was going to take the class regardless, but given your input, then it should be realistic of me to expect to learn the art with one class a week ... so long as I work my ass off out of class instead of simply "going to class".

Thanks guys, I'll go next Saturday and let you know how the class is.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/08/2006 12:08pm

Style: FMA & judo-ultra noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Read through their site description, seems like aside from the storytelling about his grandfather the Escrima instructor seems to have his head screwed on straight.

He consistently talks about 'doing what works', 'belts don't matter', and plus he's done ju-jitsu/judo. Seems pretty well rounded and is teaching what appears to be the whole of his family's escrima techniques. I like how he's trying to (at least on paper) avoid what most of the good escrima instructors did in the past which is retain their best techniques so they could not be defeated - thus watering down the art.

Keep us posted :)

Posted On:
    1/09/2006 4:19pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    more from Rene Latosa here:

http://www.escrima-concepts.com/page3.html

DTT vs Sirc

Posted On:
    1/18/2006 6:33pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yo guys... sorry I haven't updated anything yet. I posponed that a bit since my big toe on my right foot is still fucked up from my last BJJ session, and then I got my right hand all in pain from bag work - I could barely hold a pen for a day. (I keep getting all fucked up on the right side.)

Anyways... I emailed the Latosa escrima instructor, and I'm impressed how candid he was in answering my questions via e-mail regarding price. The instructor (his name is Tom) said that the class is 90 minutes long, and $15 per class. Not bad I think. He also invited me for a free trial class w/o obligations, which I'm going to attend this Saturday... hurray!!!! :hello2:

Most schools give the "why don't you come by and lets discuss what's best for you" sales pitch. But Tom's response was very different, so, so far so good.

On another note, there is another FMA school in South Florida, the Miami Arnis Group (http://www.miamiarnisgroup.com) - You guys know more about this stuff than I do, so I was wondering if you guys could spot any bullshido red-flags in it, or if it looks legit.

The Latosa escrima class is a sure thing in my schedule, and I was planning to go back to Judo on February, but the 'mano a mano' class at The Miami Arnis Group seem interesting... if it's not bull, that is...

Posted On:
    4/08/2006 12:26pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Arnis

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hi Guys,

This is Tony of the Miami Arnis Group. I like to take a stab at anwsering some of your questions.

1) I do believe you can become skilled with only one class a week. Of course, only if you train outside of class also. Often other students would like more training time. This is a great opportunity to establish new friendships while getting your "homework" done.

2) Guro Tom and his art both have very good reputations. 90 minutes is a good length for a class. I am sure you'll get a lot out of it.

3) My Mano Y Mano class came by way of a request from my students for more empty hand skills. The flavor is like boxing or kick boxing with all the fouls. Good for street defense, but it can be modified for competition. We include some grappling, but pure grappling is covered in the Jiu jitsu class also taught at the school I teach at or in our Sambo group that meets on Sundays at 11:30 A.M. in Thunder Gym by Miami High.

Feel free to e-mail me should you have any questions.

Tony Torre
    Miami Arnis Group
    www.miamiarnisgroup.com

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast