Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    1/08/2006 8:06pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     Aesopian.com 

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Glad to hear it's finding uses. I doubt I'll tap anyone with it, but I'm happy enough with breaking grips, breaking posture and taking the back.

I've got a Super Sekret method of taking the back in R&D at the moment that inspired me to make the reverse kimura thread (since it shares the name), but only those with Echelon level clearance have access to its specifications. I will say this: imagine if armdrags had a mechanism built it that prevented them from being undone.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/08/2006 11:51pm

Style: bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    how does kid's "the essential guard" compare with ed beneville's the guard? i know this is off topic but nobody answered the thread i started on it.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    1/09/2006 12:08am

Aesopian.com 

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    They are both good. If I had to choose, I would personally go with Beneville's since it addresses more several specific situations and strategies in isolation that I find useful, like attacking a stalling posture, standing up from guard, getting neck control and the crucifix, backrolls and the turtle. But The Essential Guard is very good too, and contains what I guess I would call a "more rounded" approach to the subject. I like a lot of the sweeps in Peligro's book more than I like Beneville's just because they fit my game better.

You really can't go wrong either way. It'll come down to personal preference.

Posted On:
    1/09/2006 1:05am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ - Homeland Security

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Aesopian
    attacking a stalling posture
    Emperor be praised. Prepare to meet your end, vile wrestlers!

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    1/09/2006 1:17am

Aesopian.com 

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As does rubber guard.

Choose your book wisely.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    1/10/2006 11:37am

Aesopian.com 

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I always find it funny when viados from hapkido, aikido, JJJ, etc. criticize BJJ for lacking wristlocks. As is the point of this thread, I use several wristlocks from guard. I also use them from the top of half guard, side control and mount. I'll add one to an armbar, omoplata or triangle if they are defending the major submission. I've seen other who use them quite a lot too. I showed someone the reverse kimura from my other thread and he turned that into a wristlock. It's true BJJ doesn't have all the retarded standing wristlocks TMA come to expect and it doesn't get into all the details of where you put your thumb or how you turn out your pinky, since the BJJ approach to wristlocks is "grab the hand, push too far one way or another."

Posted On:
    1/10/2006 11:43am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ - Homeland Security

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't think the methodology of the actual wrist locks is any less sophisticated. I'd seen a lot of BJJ's wrist locks before in my old kuh-rotty place, but BJJ's self-defence is so many orders of magnitude better that they actually become worthwhile.
    Last edited by Dreadnought; 1/10/2006 11:55am at .

Hi, guys

Posted On:
    1/10/2006 11:53am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Aesopian
    I always find it funny when viados from hapkido, aikido, JJJ, etc. criticize BJJ for lacking wristlocks. As is the point of this thread, I use several wristlocks from guard. I also use them from the top of half guard, side control and mount. I'll add one to an armbar, omoplata or triangle if they are defending the major submission. I've seen other who use them quite a lot too. I showed someone the reverse kimura from my other thread and he turned that into a wristlock. It's true BJJ doesn't have all the retarded standing wristlocks TMA come to expect and it doesn't get into all the details of where you put your thumb or how you turn out your pinky, since the BJJ approach to wristlocks is "grab the hand, push too far one way or another."
    I have seen a buttload of wristlocks, but the first who me showed me one while rolling was a BJJ guy.
    More human than human is our motto.

Hi, guys

Posted On:
    1/10/2006 11:55am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnought
    I don't think the methodology of the actual wrist locks are any less sophisticated. I'd seen a lot of BJJ's wrist locks before in my old kuh-rotty place, but BJJ's self-defence is so many orders of magnitude better that they actually become worthwhile.
    What? BJJ Self defence? The Rickson/Royler demo in Pride? BJJ Theory and Technique? What awesome BJJ self defence are you talking about? 'Cause the self defence I've seen in BJJ is JJJ all over again, only still with the focus of groundwork.
    You could be meaning application value, and if you do, then consider my comment void.

Edit: On reading through while I clicked the button, I realized you're talking about your krotty. In that case, nevermind. But please don't confuse fighting and self defence. Yes BJJ can help you defend yourself, No it isn't an art with a great focus on self defence, nor a magnitude better than most.
    Last edited by fanatical; 1/10/2006 11:58am at .
    More human than human is our motto.

Posted On:
    1/12/2006 11:01pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have decided that the wristlock-armdrag-backmount combo is my new favorite thing to do from the guard. The Inquisitor will be pleased . . .
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast