Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    1/06/2006 4:06pm

supporting member
     Style: Short Fist Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Chronic Rib Injury?

Just looking for some advice on how to deal with a recurring muscle strain (at least I think that is what it is) I have been having in my rib area. I have been doing alot more wrestling these last few months than I have in years and I keep pulling/straining something in the same area. Last time It took three weeks for it to go away, then last night at kung fu we were doing some ground work and now it 's acting up again.
    Any advice or info for quicker rehab would be much appreciated. Thanks.
    " If one wants to have a friend one must also want to wage war for him: and to wage war one must be capable of being an enemy." - Fr. Nietzsche 'On The Friend' Thus Spake Zarathustra

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/09/2006 4:29pm

Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    when I hurt my ribs, the only thing that helped was to stop grappling for a while.
    Take a rest and let yourself heal.

Brock Sampson

Posted On:
    1/09/2006 7:13pm

supporting member
     Style: 5.56

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You probably tore some cartillage. Takes 6weeks to fully heal if you do nothing. If you continue to train you will eventually pop the rib and experience some serious pain.

If it was a simple muscle tear its going to take longer than 3 weeks. ONLY A DOCTOR COULD SAY FOR SURE.

Either way if you continue to train on it you are going to feel more pain. duh.

punch-drunk

Posted On:
    1/10/2006 12:10am

supporting member
     Style: SanDa / MMA / Kung-Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A few years ago I popped a rib after tearing cartillage like Yrkoon described, very painful. It had been sore for a while and then popped out of joint when i get thrown real hard. When i would do a sit-up after that it would make an audible thump and stick out of my ribcage at least an inch. It even freaked my doctor out. It took about a month and a half to heal. It still sticks out farther than my other ribs. Totally chill with your training until it heals, because it could get a lot worse. And yeah see your doctor if you really want to know what it is, but just laying off it is about all you can do for now.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    1/12/2006 8:30pm

supporting member
     Style: Short Fist Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the input guys. I just got home from the hospital, it is not a fracture, just some strained muscles. Still hurts like hell..I will just have to take it easy for a while.
    Wild Turkey Time..
    " If one wants to have a friend one must also want to wage war for him: and to wage war one must be capable of being an enemy." - Fr. Nietzsche 'On The Friend' Thus Spake Zarathustra

Judo Instructor

Posted On:
    1/12/2006 9:05pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I would add something like pilates or yoga - something specific for trunk strength and flexibility, otherwise it will keep recurring.

That's my experience, with a couple long-term strains.