Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    1/08/2006 11:34pm

Join us... or die
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by G-G-G Ghost!
    Oh man, you know what's going to happen now? Some watchdog group or angry parent is going to run around claiming it was Clockwork Orange and movies like that that have inspired this real-life violence, and try to get everything in sight banned. Dammit i hate society
    The movie was banned in the UK until recently, or something like that.

From www.imdb.com:

The film was withdrawn voluntarily by Stanley Kubrick from the United Kingdom after being criticized as too violent. Kubrick has stated that the film would be released there only after his death. It was.
    I donīt know if these kids have watched the movie, but something tells that they didnīt read the book 8or any book for that matter9.

Anyway, that probably wonīt stop the "watchdog group or angry parent".

EDIT: Allright, not really banned, from the same source:

Contrary to popular claims, this film was never banned in the UK. It originally received an "X" rating in 1971 and was withdrawn from distribution in 1973 by the film's director. In 1999 (the year of Stanley Kubrick's death), the film was released again and received an "18" rating.
    I thought it had a ban, and Kubrik withdrwe it after the ban was lifted. Still, some cine magazines Iīve read claimed it was banned.
    Last edited by Lights Out; 1/08/2006 11:40pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/09/2006 3:08am

Style: Muay Thai, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah I thought it was completely banned.
    Anyway, just the fact the article made the link to Clockwork Orange-style violence is enough for some groups to pounce on the movie industry - I'm sure these gang assholes weren't reading books or watching classic movies (I don't know if you want to call CO a classic but whatever; replace the word classic with "old"). I've just been spending too much time reading about the PTC recently - I had to comment. But that article made me sick, especially after all these racist riots here in Oz just a few weeks back. So many crazed youths running wild. If I didn't know better, I'd say we WEREN'T living in a state of world peace!!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/10/2006 10:19am

Style: Wing Chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bugeisha
    You've got to be shitting me.
    Nope. The name of Selphie's weapon in Final Fantasy VIII was edited into something **** like "sticks of death" because the word nunchaku is illegal.

But gun, sword, ************, no they're all fine to use in children's television and popular soap operas...

Lightweight

Posted On:
    1/10/2006 10:24am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think they also edit balisong knives out of movies too.

Still digging on James Brown

Posted On:
    1/10/2006 4:00pm

Style: BJJ & Judo (1k)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Is the word ninja also banned? Because I think it was, at least for a while, in sweden, so we had Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles instead of regular ninja turtles.

Anyway, banning the word nunchucks certainly didn't do the trick.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/16/2006 7:33pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    We also had Hero Turtles, although for some reason I always called them Ninja. Even though I would not had access to the US originals due to being about 5.

I don't think word Ninja is as banned as nunchucks/nunchaku is; they probably thought it was unhealthy for kiddies to hear the word 'ninja' whilst watching huge muscley things pound baddies into the ground.

I have a feeling there is a similar thing regarding the word 'shuriken' but I'm not sure.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12