Sponsored Links Spacer Image

software engineer

Posted On:
    1/06/2006 11:38pm

supporting member
     Style: kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Remember how Shinigami owned us by yelling at him/her for ages and then we didn't advance the bullshido cause anywhere? This is just like that.

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    1/07/2006 2:20am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by LORD ASIA
    LIE was probably the wrong word to use but its is definitely exagerated.

It hard to tell which part is fact and which is exaggerated. I know SOME schools had JMA (BUDO, Judo and Kendo as opposed to BUJUTSU) taught. I remember hearing that from some older Koreans when I was in Korea but it wasn't alot of them. I don't know anyone who was forced to take a Japanese name, the ones that did chose to do so for various reasons. The truth is somewhere in the middle and I doubt we will never know for sure.
    Quote Originally Posted by LORD ASIA

It hard to tell which part is fact and which is exaggerated. I know SOME schools had JMA (BUDO, Judo and Kendo as opposed to BUJUTSU) taught. I remember hearing that from some older Koreans when I was in Korea but it wasn't alot of them. I don't know anyone who was forced to take a Japanese name, the ones that did chose to do so for various reasons. The truth is somewhere in the middle and I doubt we will never know for sure.
    Agreed, the styles taught were budo. Very few high schools had budo programs, but the from what I understand majority of colleges did, (it is important to note that some of them had kendo & judo programs prior to the occupation anyway). The forced name changes were required. While I have no sources I can post right now, this not a widely disputed fact. Miguksaram might be able to provide more information. The fact that Hangul was not allowed to be spoken is commonly known as well. While the truth does often lie in the middle, I would be very hesitant to err toward the opposite side, when Japanese textbooks still deny the occurance of events such as the Rape of Nanjing and the systematic use of Korean, Chinese, and Filipino women as sex slaves and "comfort women".

Posted On:
    1/07/2006 3:10am

Style: Boxing, Solar Ray Attack

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ah yes, yet another video to add to the profoundly empty "TKD does work" bookcase. I was begining to think I might have Jeeves dust again.
    http://woodwardswhiskey.wordpress.com/

He was punching him like the collective karmic debt he'd accrued was coming to collections, mostly on his face.

WARNING: BJJ may cause airway obstruction.

Posted On:
    1/08/2006 8:04pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Bajillion Joo Jizzu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DerAuslander108
    Agreed, the styles taught were budo. Very few high schools had budo programs, but the from what I understand majority of colleges did, (it is important to note that some of them had kendo & judo programs prior to the occupation anyway). The forced name changes were required. While I have no sources I can post right now, this not a widely disputed fact. Miguksaram might be able to provide more information. The fact that Hangul was not allowed to be spoken is commonly known as well. While the truth does often lie in the middle, I would be very hesitant to err toward the opposite side, when Japanese textbooks still deny the occurance of events such as the Rape of Nanjing and the systematic use of Korean, Chinese, and Filipino women as sex slaves and "comfort women".
    The Japanese have a very complex family name-property system... basically they force names on them so that they are all "under the emperor" and officially under the citizens of Japan - someone help me out here? I don't remember much from my Koreans & Japan humanities course from last year...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/09/2006 8:56am

Style: Yudo, Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    [QUOTE=LORD ASIA][QUOTE=babo78]I'd like to see proof that it's a lie. I don't disagree with you about what KMArtists say about it is a bit blown out of proportion but there is no proof it's not true either.

Most definitly, this is why I claim we need Time Machine invented so we can settle all these disuptes XD

As for forced to ake Japanese names, from what my grandma told me is that no one was really forced to take Japanese names but the ones who did were what they called 'Chin-Il Pa' and sold out Koreans.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/09/2006 11:52am

Style: Ex-TMA/KB Noob/Judo Noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by a100
    TaeKwonDo = Shotokan[/b][/SIZE]

Does anyone have any proof that this is the case?

I've trained in both ITF TKD and Shotokan. The basic punches, kicks, blocks, stances are essentially the same. I learned more fancy kicks in TKD as you would expect. Kata shared many similarities as well.

But I'd still like to see evidence demonstrating that TKD comes from Shotokan...especially since WTF TKD is so vastly different than ITF (at least in my experience it was)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/09/2006 12:04pm

Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've read and heard in dozens of places that Gen. Choi Hong Hi was ( I think) a second dan in Shotokan. I never really thought much about it for two reasons:

1. It would seem odd to lie about such a thing. Gen. Choi was known to talk badly of karate in seminars that he gave. That and he wanted to separate TKD from Japanese influence. Why then claim to have studied Karate at all?

2. Having watched film and looking at TKD practitioners in the 1960s, I must say that there is a tremendous similarity in techniques and forms to Shotokan.

From that time, TKD has changed quite a bit while it seems to me that Shotokan has not changed as much.

Posted On:
    1/09/2006 12:18pm

supporting memberstaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Go the History forum if you want more answers.

Is Shotokan one of the major root systems of the majority of styles of TKD? Yes.

Does that mean TKD=Shotokan? No.

I'll spend time typing the unBullshido history of TKD if you really want it...just ask.

Heh....basically....what TKD can, Shotokan't.

Posted On:
    1/09/2006 2:33pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Bits and pieces

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DerAuslander108
    Heh....basically....what TKD can, Shotokan't.
    Oh dear. That was terrible!! :thumbsup:

Posted On:
    1/09/2006 2:52pm

supporting memberstaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by odacon
    Oh dear. That was terrible!! :thumbsup:
    You know you liked it...
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 7 LastLast