Lightweight

Posted On:
    1/05/2006 11:14am

supporting member
     Style: Karate, Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

taping to prevent injuries to the toes?

My dojo floor is very ghetto in the sense that it is very minimal. thin, tough carpet over concrete. When sparring I've had the misfortune of ripping the pads off of my large toes twice now. Obviously, this slows me down and sometimes can cause me to miss a couple of days of training (sometimes I just train much lighter but either way).

This could be a problem with the way I fight. I've looked at the way I move and how light I am when advancing and it doesn't *seem* that I can correct enough to not have the issue. Usually the injuries occur during clinches.

Anyway, I've been googling and searching on this site but can't find too much help so I Thought I would pose the question here. I figure taping is my best bet. Are there suggested ways, suggested tape? Is this even a good idea? I've been training on this floor for some time now so I don't think it is a question of my feet getting tough enough, they're pretty tough now and I still get this happening from time to time.

any thoughts?

GE

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/05/2006 12:49pm

Style: Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well if your allowed you could wear some type of light shoe like a wrestling shoe.

You could even suggest to your instructor that he pick up some mats to train on. Is this common practice to train without mats? I've trained at three different clubs, all of them had mats.

Posted On:
    1/05/2006 12:54pm

Style: TKD, Wing Chun, Ninjitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    this has happened to me many a time. I usually have to rip or clip it off. just be sure to rip toward the the rip and not away.

tape will work, but you lose friction, try using wrap tape.

and good morning to you too

Posted On:
    1/05/2006 1:06pm

supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I tore the hell out of my feet when I tried capoeria. tape was great. I used standard medical tape and it held up well. I did have to change it after a workout since it would get kinda funky.

The only thing i would do is to tape it loose since your toes and feet spread a bit when you put weight on them. Oh and taking it off hurt a bit but slow and steady wasn't too bad.

Lightweight

Posted On:
    1/05/2006 4:15pm

supporting member
     Style: Karate, Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    thanks for the quick responses. I'm going to try the tape this Friday, see if it does the trick without causing any issues.

We have mats for the dojo but since primarily it is stand up they don't come out often.

GE

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/05/2006 10:56pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Use hockey tape. It's cheap and it has a textured surface, it'll give you grip. Another benifit is that it doesn't leave residue when you peel it off (in my experience).